The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bike Bandit  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Lowbrow Customs
Figure Machine
Foxcreek Leather
S&S Cycle

S&S Cycle
Tags
repair, split, windshield

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th July 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
b4u2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any ideas to fix Busted Windshield

Hopefully the pics show up...

I laid the Sportster down and broke the bottom right side of my windshield. It is still usable but I need to keep it from splitting more. How would I reinforce this break? The windshield is acrylic. It doesn't have to be pretty since I figure I will just have to put some cool Stickers on both sides to cover the break and scratches. Give me ideas leaving for Sturgis in one week!

Thanks!
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=820671599

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&id=820671599

Last edited by b4u2; 25th July 2009 at 00:06.. Reason: Pics added
Old 24th July 2009
Ride free, RubyRed

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 > SE 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
wandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant future

You can post pics after 5 posts. Get those and repost so maybe we can get a better idea of what needs to be done.

And welcome!

2006 1200 Low--NRHS HurricaneFlow 2", slash down Screamin' Eagle Street Performance exhaust, Progressive 12" 418s w/ heavy duty springs, Progressive fork springs + Ricor Intiminators, HD forward controls, Mustang Vintage Wide seat, HD QD windshield (smoked), HD mini-apes, and surely more to come... Sold

1999 1200 XLH--In progress. Custom Led Sled frame--4" up, 2" out; Baker/Vulcan chain conversion; Buell 17" rear wheel...
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=708796 Currently on indefinite hold...
Old 25th July 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Shaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the rough

It looks trashed. Just plan on replacing it when it gets beyond the point that you tolerate it.

I fairly clueless to what to do about preventing it from getting worse... I guess you can drill a hole at the end of the crack.
Old 25th July 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
JoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really nice

Just a thought. You could go to Home Depot or Lowes and see what acrylic repair kits they have since some bathtubs are made of the same stuff. If you find something you could try the drill a hole option mentioned above and fill it.

Likely any fix will just be temporary and you will have to replace at some point. And the fix may not end up looking great. You may get lucky and it ends up looking OK.

Once you factor in time, cost of materials, etc. you may get to the place of just letting it ride for a while and replacing it later. I believe that polycarbonate is less likely to fracture that way, so you may want to look at that option for a replacement.
Old 27th July 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
b4u2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have some 3/8 black ABS left over from a solar panel I built. I will cut matching pieces for each side and glue them on the back side. That should hold it pretty well for a while. I will probably find some cool "stickers" to put on there as well to cover the split from the front.
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th July 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200L
karlkcfi has disabled reputation

I actually had this happen on my virago years ago. I took an idea from an old airplane mechanic.

Drill small holes opposite each other on both sides of the crack. Make them about 1/2-3/4 of an inch apart. Take safety wire and lace it in a criss cross pattern. be sure to tie it off at the bottom of the windshield. Mine was stout and didnt get worse and lasted 2 years.

It looks Frankenstein as heck, but I actually got positive comments on it from other riders, for the 2 years it took me to save enough dough to replace the windshield.

Good and luck and have a safe ride.
Old 28th July 2009
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlkcfi View Post
I actually had this happen on my virago years ago. I took an idea from an old airplane mechanic.

Drill small holes opposite each other on both sides of the crack. Make them about 1/2-3/4 of an inch apart. Take safety wire and lace it in a criss cross pattern. be sure to tie it off at the bottom of the windshield. Mine was stout and didnt get worse and lasted 2 years.

It looks Frankenstein as heck, but I actually got positive comments on it from other riders, for the 2 years it took me to save enough dough to replace the windshield.

Good and luck and have a safe ride.
That's a great idea....exactly what I'd do with this...

I might be inclined to use some Gorilla Glue (the super glue version) as well...

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 29th July 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200L
karlkcfi has disabled reputation

I forgot to mention that I tried to glue my broken windshield first with superglue and then some other "magic" adhesive.... didn't come close to working...

lacing it up.... Priceless....
Old 29th July 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
roaddogg37 is on a distinguished roadroaddogg37 is on a distinguished road

just an idea but why not get some small flat stock and sandwich the winshield betwwen it and bolt it together not pretty but I am sure would be strong enough to hold it together. Then sticker the hel out of it for looks if you are concerned
Old 29th July 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
roaddogg37 is on a distinguished roadroaddogg37 is on a distinguished road

after looking at the pictures wouldnt some car door chrome edging trim that you buy at the auto parts store work a little bit of trim adhesive and that chrome molding placed around the entire edge of the windshield and then either sticker the crack or get some spray on bedliner and paint the wind shield. just another IDEA
Know Thy Hog