The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Licks Tanklift  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Lighting
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Foxcreek Leather
NRHS Performance Long 2
Get Lowered
Lowbrow Customs

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2007
Biker

MTime has disabled reputation
Unhappy Right Rear Turn Signal Problem

Ideas - Right rear turn signal stopped working on my '01 1200 Custom. I have

-Replaced bulb
-Checked harness
-Checked Fuse

If I swap the L/R plugs in the tailight module, the right rear turn light WILL work when I press the left turn signal button. So I'm thinking it is something other that wiring or fuse.

Help????
Old 6th May 2007
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Ultra Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
gusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of light

Have anything extra in the ckt. such as a module to convert the turn signals to running lights?

If so, take it out and see if it changes things.

I had a add-on Kuryakyn Turn Signal controler on my bike, wires got shorted then the harness fell against the tire. Repaired the wiring but I couldn't get the light to work, even though I had 12V battery and ground. I did the same thing, swapped the leads as you did and tbl stayed the same.
Funny, my problem was with the same rightside bulb.

It would not light a stock bulb but it would light a LED bulb. Had me scratching my head.

Then I remembered I had the module in the ckt. Took it out and lights started working. Smelled the module and it smelled like it was fried. Peeled back the insulation over the ckt. board and I could see where it got fried. Had to replace the board. Evidently the stock light was too much of a load to light but could still handle the LED bulb after the ckt. board got fried.

All you need is 12V battery and grd. to make the lights work. Make sure you have both.
2002 XL 1200 SE A/C & SE mufflers Mustang seat, Harley Hard Bags, Detachable Backrest w/Luggage Rack Kuryakyn Stop/Turn Signal Controller w/pulse brake, Pegs and Stirrups, Forward Controls, Memphis Fats Windshield
Old 6th May 2007
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusotto View Post
Have anything extra in the ckt. such as a module to convert the turn signals to running lights?

If so, take it out and see if it changes things.

I had a add-on Kuryakyn Turn Signal controler on my bike, wires got shorted then the harness fell against the tire. Repaired the wiring but I couldn't get the light to work, even though I had 12V battery and ground. I did the same thing, swapped the leads as you did and tbl stayed the same.
Funny, my problem was with the same rightside bulb.

It would not light a stock bulb but it would light a LED bulb. Had me scratching my head.

Then I remembered I had the module in the ckt. Took it out and lights started working. Smelled the module and it smelled like it was fried. Peeled back the insulation over the ckt. board and I could see where it got fried. Had to replace the board. Evidently the stock light was too much of a load to light but could still handle the LED bulb after the ckt. board got fried.

All you need is 12V battery and grd. to make the lights work. Make sure you have both.

I also [had] turn signal controller, but I removed this [forgot to mention]. Still scratch'n my head
Old 6th May 2007
Post no Avatars!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH-883D
Other Motorcycle Year: 1988
decman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant future

Look at the wiring under the fender. If it comes loose and rubs
on the tire it will wear down real quick.

dec
Old 6th May 2007
Biker

Yes - I've gone through the fender wiring completely. Under the seat there is a module that a deutsch connector goes into b/4 going to the back lights. Is that a possibility?
Know Thy Hog

Old 6th May 2007
Senior Bike Builder

gusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of lightgusotto is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by decman View Post
Look at the wiring under the fender. If it comes loose and rubs
on the tire it will wear down real quick.

dec
Yes, check it out with a good light and get the dirt off the wiring so you can see it well.

That was my original problem when the harness slipped out of the loom, hit the tire and wore through. Turn the wiring harness enough to see all sides. It doesn't take much of a rub to open the wiring.
Old 6th May 2007
Senior Bike Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTime View Post
Yes - I've gone through the fender wiring completely. Under the seat there is a module that a deutsch connector goes into b/4 going to the back lights. Is that a possibility?
It does come out of that connector but wouldn't think you'd have problems there. They seal them very well.

Checking my factory electrical manual, it comes down to possible open wires or defective turn signal module (TSM).
The book gives an involved tblshooting sequence.

Do you have 12V and grd at the rear light?

Also, you can swap a buddies turn signal module and see if the tbl clears? Both Sportsters and Dynas use the same TSM.
Old 6th May 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883 standard
jwb is on a distinguished roadjwb is on a distinguished roadjwb is on a distinguished roadjwb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTime View Post
If I swap the L/R plugs in the tailight module, the right rear turn light WILL work when I press the left turn signal button.
That means the right rear circuitry including the TSM is ok.

Did you check to see if the right TS switch operates the left TS lamp?

Maybe the problem is in the switch?

Old 7th May 2007
Biker

I will check the TS Module and the wiring again.

jwb - tried alternating the ts switch.....not the switch