The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bison Motorsports  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
excel50 (73), blazer95 (64), mycle1000 (59), Barryn37 (53), QBALL (53), paulieb (52), cfranz (41), BMXATV (40), ravyn3 (35), Texas_Wild, hillpope (32)
S&S Cycle
Ironworks Magazine
Figure Machine
Biltwell

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th April 2005
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
bamf_shadow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how to remove clutch hub nut?

76 sporty. I broke the damned kicker shaft, so I have to pull the clutch hub to get to it. My problem is that I can't get the dang clutch hub nut loose. It is a 1.5" nut, but I can't torque on it enough without the rear wheel spining. I thought about putting a wrench on the drive sprocket nut to compinsate, but allas my arms are too short to hold one side and pull the other.

My Clymer says to use a special tool called the grabber, kinda like a vise grip. Can't find one in any local tool store (very limited selection here). I tried some 90* needle nose pliers, but that didn't work either. Any suggestions?
Old 14th April 2005
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Motion Pro makes a clutch holding tool. I think it is what you are describing. It's what I used for clutch hubs and countershaft pulleys.

http://www.motionpro.com/Docs/servicetools_3.html

The tool is also sold through JC Whitney. The SKU number is: ZX063598U It's $27.99.

Chuck
Old 14th April 2005
Greasemonkey

yeah that is the funky tool. What is the backyard mechanic way of doing it? I know that there has to be some way. Also, my first approach of holding the drive sprocket nut failed, it just loosened the drive sprocket nut...

HELP!!!??!!?!?!
Old 14th April 2005
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Impact wrench...?
Old 14th April 2005
Greasemonkey

don't have an impact...
Looked into the tool, seems to fit the bill. I just can't see buying a $30+ tool just for this....
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th April 2005
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: '92 883/1200
dwardy is on a distinguished roaddwardy is on a distinguished roaddwardy is on a distinguished roaddwardy is on a distinguished road

I used a 2 x 4. Just a hunk small enough to fit in between the runs of primary chain and wedge in there.
Old 14th April 2005
Greasemonkey

dwardy, you are thinking of the front sprocket. I am talking about the nut inside the clutch hub itself.
Old 14th April 2005
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster Custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Various others
pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Just did this on my evo sporty...

Have a friend hold the rear brake tight, then use a breaker bar and socket, install the same way, worked for me...

Thats my backyard approach, good luck.
Old 14th April 2005
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: '92 883/1200
dwardy is on a distinguished roaddwardy is on a distinguished roaddwardy is on a distinguished roaddwardy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamf_shadow
dwardy, you are thinking of the front sprocket. I am talking about the nut inside the clutch hub itself.

Oh???

Oh!!!
Old 15th April 2005
Greasemonkey

pilot, I tried your idea, but it didn't work for me. I have mechanical rear brakes, and even though the shoes and drum are new, They still won't hold back that kind of force. I am about to give up here. I have to get this damn thing off to get to the kick shaft.... Any more ideas???
Know Thy Hog