The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Foxcreek Leather  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
yeller1200, IronMick (72), painter (65), motobob883 (62), rickxx (60), MRCLEEN (42), Wetcheez (41)
S&S Cycle
Fix My Hog
Motor Stage
Lowbrow Customs

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th July 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB400f
Other Motorcycle Year: 1975
Rich361 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tapping Noise from top end after 883 to 1200 conversion.

I have just completed a 883 to 1200 conversion on my 2003 Sportster... I got my existing jugs bored out, put some SE pistions in and got the head done...
Once I started it up a tapping noise is coming from the top end somewhere... possibly the lifters?? The noise starts and stops while idleling and stops where riding?? Any ideas??
Old 28th July 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883 Deluxe - sold now
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1986
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDWGi
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
CharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really nice

lifter noise is common after a top end tear down, but should go away after a few minutes
Old 28th July 2009
Biker

Thanks for the reply.... I've done about 1000km on it and the noise is still there??
Old 28th July 2009
Savant?

Sportster/Buell Model: rigid 88" highly modified
Sportster/Buell Model #2: iforgot
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80's
Other Motorcycle Model: crs
Other Motorcycle Year: 80's
wilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum!
Did you notice anything before the conversion?
Old 28th July 2009
Biker

Thanks for the welcome... There was no noise before the tear down, I took it for a full serivce and check before the tear down so I new the bike was running fine...
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th July 2009
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883/1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Old_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the rough

I noticed a consistent top end noise after my conversion, but my mechanic explained it as consistent with the radical cam (Woods Knight Prowler .590 lift, long duration) and heavy duty valve springs.

Essentially, he said the more squared profile of the cams were causing the extra top end noise as the valves were closing with more force than with the stock valves & springs.

It makes sense to me and the engine performance is there, so I stopped worrying about it - it's been 6,000+ miles since the conversion with no problems.

Did you change your cams or valve springs?

The nick has nothing to do with my age or farm animals...
Old 28th July 2009
Biker

Hi, My funds ran out when it came to Cams, I put bigger valves and springs in and re-ported the heads...

The tapping isn't constant, it comes and goes... can happen when its cold, can happen when its hot?? The guy who helped me do the job suggested it's a lazy lifter?? Not really sure how a lifter can become lazy?? haha

I'm happy to ignore the noise but am worried I may cause damage to the engine??
Old 29th July 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883 Deluxe - sold now
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1986
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDWGi
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
CharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich361 View Post
Thanks for the reply.... I've done about 1000km on it and the noise is still there??
Nada. Number one culprit is lifter noise. The stock lifters are very good, but not above failing on occasion. Getting the rockers mixed up from their original locations will alter the wear pattern placements.

Depending on what was used... you might need adjustable rods.

Sorta goin on what "could" cause noise and not destroy things in the miles you drove. Something like a valve whacking the piston would have caused a catastrophic failure by now.

I suppose a bad fitment of piston pin would cause noise and not immediately destroy things. Ditto bad fitment of rocker shaft.

And what everyone else said too
Old 29th July 2009
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

The stock 883 piston is oval shaped and as it heats up becomes completely round. while the Aftermarket 1200 conversion type pistons are usually forged and are completely round from the start. TYpically most shops allow for the expansion of the forged product by giving a greater tolerance. This could be contributing to your noise.. it may sound like its coming from the top of the motor, but in reality is not..

one way to test is to re-install the stock mufflers and listen again to your motor. you'll be surprised what you can hear when the exhaust is quieted down.

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 29th July 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
Motorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura about

With mine with the wiseco kit has some piston slap when warm
Know Thy Hog