The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
RYCA Motors
Biltwell
Superbrace
NRHS

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th July 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
moospis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default '79 Sporty starter switch problems

Ok after I found out the brake hose was too short for the higher bars I got when I went to hook up the starter switch I noticed there was a red and a orange wire off the terminal. Problem is there is only one place on the terminal for a wire so I figured I would at least put the red one on so tucked the orange one and checked the starter and it fired right up. So I tightened it back up to the other side with the brake master cylinder and checked the starter switch again and nothing. I pulled it off again and then pulled the red one off also so now I have two wires off and try the starter switch and it fires right up. Again I put the red one back on and tighten it up to the handlebar and try the starter switch and nothing. I know its old school but this has maybe five or six other wires soldered to this terminal along with another orange wire. There was a black wire that was exposed so figured that was grounding out so wrapped it with electrical tape. Then there is only other spade terminal to put a wire so where does this other wire go? Any ideas?
Old 28th July 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Jafa39 will become famous soon enoughJafa39 will become famous soon enoughJafa39 will become famous soon enoughJafa39 will become famous soon enoughJafa39 will become famous soon enoughJafa39 will become famous soon enough

Orange and red are brake light switch...you should have a black from relay to starter button and a white from kill switch to starter button...if no kill switch then there is a grey from ignition circuit breaker which usually powers the kill/coil/start that can be hooked up direct.
Old 28th July 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
moospis is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok there are two connectors inside the brake lever. Do the red and orange go on those two terminals? What about the extra terminal on the switch itself? Is that extra for running lights? Cant figure out what goes on that one.
Old 28th July 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
beekay is an unknown quantity at this point

the brake lever has 3 buttons (brake light, orange, red), Starter (black and white) and right turn signal (green and brown). Then there is the Engine Stop Switch (white from starter button and Gray).

all told, that is 5 wires from the harness and one cross over wire (white).

That is all there should be up there. get familiar with the buttons, especially the brake light button, it is tucked away.

be cautious of the wires when closing the lid on all this stuff, the PO on my bike mushed a wire and it caused "phantom wiring issues" he got so frustrated he sold the bike (to me!). I found it when I tightened the pod with the key on (hunting for this problem), things started doing funny things...all better now!
I have popped these pods off so many times now, it feels like family. the buttons all needed new solder on them, some were only held on by 1 or 2 strands.
"Yours might cost more, but mine is an Iron Head!"