The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 1  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
Energy One Clutches
Superbrace.com
Energy One Clutches
Lowbrow Customs

Dead Creek Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L in Pewter Pearl
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Dogstar will become famous soon enoughDogstar will become famous soon enoughDogstar will become famous soon enoughDogstar will become famous soon enoughDogstar will become famous soon enoughDogstar will become famous soon enoughDogstar will become famous soon enough
Question Cylinder head exhaust port nut: torque value difference

There appears to be a difference in the recommended torque value for the cylinder head exhaust port nut:
  • 2008 HD Sportster Service Manual (FSM; #99484-08A) = 96-120 in-lbs
  • HD Screamin' Eagle Street Performance slip-on muffler kits (#80502-07 & #80503-07) = 60-80 in-lbs
Hmmm, that's odd. With so many folks here installing the SE SP's I'm surprised this has not been pointed out ... or I missed it.

What gives with the difference in the exhaust port nut torque values?
  • Is it because the SE SP installation instruction sheet is outdated (J03971; rev 2007-10-08)?
  • Does the SE SP instruction sheet assume that a SE SP exhaust gasket kit (#17048-98) will be used, which requires the lesser torque?
  • A change between the 2007 & 2008+ Sportsters?
  • A typo in the FSM or SE SP instruction sheet?
Which cylinder head exhaust port nut torque value should we be using (ie. 96-120 in-lbs or 60-80 in-lbs), with the stock gaskets &/or SE SP gaskets?

I'm so confused ...

Thank you. Dogstar.

"Canadian by birth. Rebel by choice." --- Dogstar, 2009. Stock performance plus shiny stuff ... to be continued.

Last edited by Dogstar; 5th August 2009 at 01:22..
Old 5th August 2009
Savant?

Sportster/Buell Model: rigid 88" highly modified
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: iforgot
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80's
Other Motorcycle Model: crs
Other Motorcycle Year: 80's
wilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to behold

Very interesting! I've found several typos in my service manual. Possibly a typo? I thought 'gaskets' at first, but
Old 5th August 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
TechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of light

It has been awhile, but I don't remember my slip-on's requiring the exhaust pipes to get torqued. Only removing and installing the mufflers. Am I missing something?

But as a reference, my 04 manual also has the exhaust port nuts as 96-120 in-lbs.
Old 5th August 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L in Pewter Pearl
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Dogstar will become famous soon enoughDogstar will become famous soon enoughDogstar will become famous soon enoughDogstar will become famous soon enoughDogstar will become famous soon enoughDogstar will become famous soon enoughDogstar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechRep View Post
It has been awhile, but I don't remember my slip-on's requiring the exhaust pipes to get torqued. Only removing and installing the mufflers. Am I missing something?
Removing the pipes to facilitate the muffler re-n-re's is the recommended approach per the FSM & slip-on installation instruction sheet, however it's debatable whether it's actually required (see "How hard is it to install slipons?" thread). Some, like yourself, choose to just manipulate the mufflers enough over the interconnect brackets without loosening the cylinder head exhaust port nuts.

I chose to replace the stock exhaust port gaskets with the SE ones so I had to take the pipes off anyway. All's well except for the confusion over which torque value to use now ... I used the commonly-accepted 96 in-lbs just to be on the safe side.