The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Lickscycles
Burly
Fix My Hog
Energy One Clutches

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th August 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
fact is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baffle Removal

I've got a 99 883 with 1200 kit stage 1 and vance & hines straight shots. I would like to remove the baffles would it be neccesary to re tune if I do this.
Old 21st September 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883hugger 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
huggerphilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea it would probably be a good idea to bring you main jet up a size. Slow (pilot) jet will be okay. Had it dyno tuned???? Thats the only way to really know. Potato potato potato potato.....mmmmm i can hear her now!!!
Old 22nd September 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
casey jones is on a distinguished roadcasey jones is on a distinguished road

Why would you pay the money for a set of V&H and take the baffel out? If you are going to run straight pipes, they are dirt cheap. You don't need a set of $500.00 pipes to do it. My $.02
Old 22nd September 2009
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R 90+HP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2276cc VW sandrail
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
misterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of light

That will kill the power over most of the rpm range, which V&H are not the best to start with. You would be better off to tie an anchor to the back and ride with the brakes on.
04 1200R 90+HP/10.5-1 SE pistons/.536 cams/Heads by MR T/mikuni HSR 42 w/25 pilot, 96 needle, 170 main/TC88A ignition w turbotas mod 33 map pos.4/ Supertrapp 2-1 w 23 disks/ 28T FRONT PULLEY /NRHS Hurricane A/C & adj. pushrods /progressive 440 shocks & fork springs w/10 OZ SE fork oil
Old 22nd September 2009
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
That will kill the power over most of the rpm range
Rather than removing the baffle how about drill a big hole through it?

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd September 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883/1200 10.5:1
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ford crown Vic Police Int
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
zackpaints has a spectacular aura aboutzackpaints has a spectacular aura aboutzackpaints has a spectacular aura aboutzackpaints has a spectacular aura aboutzackpaints has a spectacular aura aboutzackpaints has a spectacular aura aboutzackpaints has a spectacular aura aboutzackpaints has a spectacular aura aboutzackpaints has a spectacular aura about

I have a set of cycle shack drag pipes i am not useing , they would fit a custom model with forewards controlls. They would also fit one with mids then also. they would look good Flat black or something. I even have a set of reversion cones that were on the bike when i bought it allong with the drags. They are all of noisy thats a fact!
Old 23rd September 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
bigbluebowtie will become famous soon enoughbigbluebowtie will become famous soon enoughbigbluebowtie will become famous soon enoughbigbluebowtie will become famous soon enoughbigbluebowtie will become famous soon enoughbigbluebowtie will become famous soon enoughbigbluebowtie will become famous soon enoughbigbluebowtie will become famous soon enough

Aren't V&H straight shots straight pipes basically anyway? Really, you will not be happy with the power. Trust me, I know.

My wife's Sportster is a girl's bike. :)
Old 23rd September 2009
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Wifes 883 Custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
pres41 is a jewel in the roughpres41 is a jewel in the roughpres41 is a jewel in the roughpres41 is a jewel in the roughpres41 is a jewel in the roughpres41 is a jewel in the roughpres41 is a jewel in the roughpres41 is a jewel in the roughpres41 is a jewel in the roughpres41 is a jewel in the roughpres41 is a jewel in the rough

Take the V&H baffles out and put in a set of Big City Thunders, I guarantee you won't regret it, much better over the whole power band and they sound good also.
Super Low Bars, and Whats a Harley without bling