The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
RYCA Motors
Superbrace.com
Progressive Suspension

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th August 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883-1200 Ol Black Mare
Sportster/Buell Year: 1990
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Yam. XS650 "Angry Hornet"
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Yam. XS650 "Bug Killer"
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
DogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really nice
Default How do they lower Bratstyle bikes?????

Looks like 2-1/2" of fork travel in the first pic!!!
I'm still trying to figure out what makes these bikes look so weird/cool. At first, I thought they were lowering them by chopping the frames, now I'm not so sure.
On the rears, they use short shocks or lowering blocks. But the fronts???
They aren't just sliding the tubes through the triple trees. So they must be doing something with the springs??? Spring under the damper rod?
But, 2-1/2" of travel? Is that even rideable?
Ideas, opinions?
Old 13th August 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: SX 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph America
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Tin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud of

Many of those Brat Style bikes have balloon type tires on the front and rear, that makes up for so little suspension travel a bit. The designs are more Form than Function, people will make incredible sacrifices to try and be "cool". Many of the same folks who make fun of Bling lower their bikes and accept comprimised performance in the name of looks. Thank God its a free country!!
Old 13th August 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 2002 883r Sold
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 low sold
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 883 custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
razorbacksrule is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally love the look of brat style bikes that site has some cool bikes on it especially a couple of xs 650's ..
Old 14th August 2009

DogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really nice

Some of the brats have balloon tires, but the one in the first pic -- with the 2-1/2" travel -- has a skinny tire. As for comfort, according to some guy name Tim Yu (American, I think), "...each bike is an exquisite work of craftsmanship and a showcase of impressively sharp attention to detail. Unlike over-the-top embellished bikes in the vein of Orange County Choppers, Bratsyle offers a more rideable, comfortable, subdued luxury..."
The story goes that these are small, quick, low, lightweight bikes, suited to a crowded, urban Island nation, whose people are smaller in stature than Westerners.

The Yamaha sx 650s are cool... In fact the Jap brats are generally cooler than the H-Ds in my opinion. Tons of sr400s, some Triumphs and Kawasakis, a couple of Hondas... Looks like any older, air-cooled engine makes a cool bratstyle. I'm looking for one now...
Old 20th August 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200 thunderstorm
Sportster/Buell Year: 96
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 low low low
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 06
hatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura about

take a look at my bike, it's pretty low as well. I bought the Progressive Lowering springs for the front, and shorted the spacer a bit more than they called for. The back has RK 12" with 2" lowering blocks.
Yes, it scraps the road pretty easily, but I love the way it rides/looks. Sparks are neat!
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th August 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki Boulevard C50T
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
BrianRides is a jewel in the roughBrianRides is a jewel in the roughBrianRides is a jewel in the roughBrianRides is a jewel in the roughBrianRides is a jewel in the roughBrianRides is a jewel in the roughBrianRides is a jewel in the roughBrianRides is a jewel in the roughBrianRides is a jewel in the roughBrianRides is a jewel in the roughBrianRides is a jewel in the rough

I dig the tires.
Old 20th August 2009

Thanks.
Yeah hatter, I remember your bike, lots of completely original ideas, nice to see, and I love your seat.
And, yes, I finally figured out that the way to lower the front is with lowering springs. I also see you have lowering blocks in the back.
Speaking of bratstyle...

I just bought this low-mileage great condition 1979 SX650F with the intention of bratting it. This is THE old bike that everyone chops (and bratstyles). I joined the XS 650 Garage forum for help. Many were/are offended that I would mess with such a pristine example. So, my plans have changed a little. I'm still going to make it mine, but I'm not going to do anything that isn't easily reversible, such as cut the frame. Of course, I may change my mind at some time. It would be so cool to have a brat.

BrianRides, check out bratstyle.com, those Japanese are into cool tires.
Old 20th August 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200 thunderstorm
Sportster/Buell Year: 96
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 low low low
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 06
hatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBunny View Post
Thanks.
Yeah hatter, I remember your bike, lots of completely original ideas, nice to see, and I love your seat.
And, yes, I finally figured out that the way to lower the front is with lowering springs. I also see you have lowering blocks in the back.
Thanks.
That's a cool looking ride there - nice find.
Old 20th August 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200 standard XL
Sportster/Buell Year: MUTT
Kwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really nice

I like those bikes too-my bike kind of fits in the Brat family-
It desperately needs new front fork springs-The current ones are worn out and to long-I suppose 10-11 inch rear shocks would look better too!
What do you think-is this brat or a just a plain sporty?
also I've post this pic like 3 times in the last few days and I really need to take a new one of the bike finished-

I think brats kind of like a chopped bike, with suspension and a some work done to the motor?
Whats your guy's definition?
Old 20th August 2009

You have a very nice bike, but it's not really close to bratstyle. Brat is hard to define, but here's what isn't bratstyle about yours:
Rear fender should be bobbed, front fender should be bobbed or removed.
Front should be lowered.
Rear should be lowered more.
Your pipes are nice, but bratstyle pipes are more elaborate.
You need cooler tires.
Brats are usually mostly black, often flat black.
Turn signals are required in Japan. Brat turn signals are as inconspicuous as possible --
they are tiny and black, and usually mounted as low as possible. Look at the first pic in my original post --
the blinkers are less than a foot off the ground.
Usually a custom tank.
Usually a custom air cleaner that doesn't hide the engine.
Usually a cafe seat or a custom seat -- yours is close.
Usually some frame work, including chopping the fender struts, as you have.

There is nothing wrong with your bike, but no one would call it a brat.
You've probably looked at bratstyle .com. Also look at:
http://www.crazyorangemc.com/

Here's a good one from crazy orange.
Know Thy Hog