The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > GENERAL AREA > Off-Topic/General Discussion
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Off-Topic/General Discussion Here is you can submit non-Sportster related topics. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION PLEASE.

Members Birthdays
stevervp, philvet (71), outlawreb (59), rabes56 (58), Bigmatt (56), Beaker666 (50), hippiemwc (50), wumm883c (48), 2wheeltodd (47), israel (42), Stitch (37), Dekooy (31), Ameri-Deutsch (30)
Lowbrow Customs
Zippers Performance
Foxcreek Leather
883 Sportster

Ironworks Magazine
Tags
accident, laid down, lucky

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th August 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
jrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_lacey View Post
I can't even believe I'm typing this, but this is good advice. Choose to wear a helmet. I used to be anti helmet, but the discussions on here have changed my mind.
If I'm going on a long ride, I usually wear my half-helmet. Fortunately when I flipped my bike end over-end a few years ago I was wearing it. Although, I did land in the ditch and only broke my arm (at 60mph) at 26 years old. I landed on my right shoulder and scuffed my chin in the grass, so I got lucky. But even today I still don't wear it if I'm taking short rides. If I could find a nice fitting half helmet, I'd wear it often, but it's just tough to set that money aside.... you know?

It is sooo much nicer riding without one, but your chances of living through a crash are quite a bit higher wearing one. I had a fine example of riding, with my dad teaching me (with him wearing helmet at all times), so I have no excuse...

"Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
Old 16th August 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CT-90
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
hogmoss will become famous soon enoughhogmoss will become famous soon enoughhogmoss will become famous soon enoughhogmoss will become famous soon enoughhogmoss will become famous soon enoughhogmoss will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear your ok!! Heal up!
Old 16th August 2009

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrossty View Post
If I'm going on a long ride, I usually wear my half-helmet. Fortunately when I flipped my bike end over-end a few years ago I was wearing it. Although, I did land in the ditch and only broke my arm (at 60mph) at 26 years old. I landed on my right shoulder and scuffed my chin in the grass, so I got lucky. But even today I still don't wear it if I'm taking short rides. If I could find a nice fitting half helmet, I'd wear it often, but it's just tough to set that money aside.... you know?

It is sooo much nicer riding without one, but your chances of living through a crash are quite a bit higher wearing one. I had a fine example of riding, with my dad teaching me (with him wearing helmet at all times), so I have no excuse...
I wear a VEGA Naked. A small, very comfortable DOT half. Less than $100

Old 16th August 2009

jrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nice

Quote:
I wear a VEGA Naked. A small, very comfortable DOT half. Less than $100

Nice man... I think wearing almost any helmet that covers your noggin will up your chances at surviving a crash... and with today's traffic, it is bound to happen sometime whether or not it is the rider or another motorist that causes it.
Old 16th August 2009

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrossty View Post
Nice man... I think wearing almost any helmet that covers your noggin will up your chances at surviving a crash... and with today's traffic, it is bound to happen sometime whether or not it is the rider or another motorist that causes it.
Funny thing is I'm always preaching that a helmet doesn't make you bullet proof. I guess my helmet illustrates that point. LOL (for the slow amoung us: notice the bullet holes.)

Last edited by Gone; 16th August 2009 at 06:53..
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th August 2009

Quote:
Funny thing is I'm always preaching that a helmet doesn't make you bullet proof. I guess my helmet illustrates that point. LOL
Ah definitely. and if I didn't have a helmet on when I wrecked in a ditch I probably would've been fine since I didn't hit my head, but I was very lucky in that sense. Most bad motorcycle wrecks end up with the head being bounced off the pavement or a vehicle. When you're young and feel bullittproof these safety concerns are not of much concern...
Old 18th August 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200L Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sabrina is a splendid one to beholdSabrina is a splendid one to beholdSabrina is a splendid one to beholdSabrina is a splendid one to beholdSabrina is a splendid one to beholdSabrina is a splendid one to beholdSabrina is a splendid one to beholdSabrina is a splendid one to beholdSabrina is a splendid one to beholdSabrina is a splendid one to beholdSabrina is a splendid one to behold

Be glad you still have the bottom part of your face .A guy I know laid his down one night when a deer ran out in front of him. He had on a full face helmet that he showed us and it was tore up bad the bottom front was cracked and raked up. If he had been wearing a half helmet his face would have been ripped off. Glad your ok helmets are cheaper than plastic surgery!
Old 14th September 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Dynamo138 will become famous soon enoughDynamo138 will become famous soon enoughDynamo138 will become famous soon enoughDynamo138 will become famous soon enoughDynamo138 will become famous soon enoughDynamo138 will become famous soon enough

Hello everyone. I would like to start by apologizing by not getting back to all of you sooner, yes, I am a jackass. I would also like to thank all of you for your concerns and advice.

I am now fully healed and have complete range of motion back in both my elbow and shoulder. The scar left from the stitches isn't too bad either. My girlfriend (Blonde Girl, as she is affectionately known) took excellent care of me while I was banged up. I spent this weekend working in her yard for her to say thank you to her.

Now for the important part, the bike. As I stated before the damage isn't bad at all. Just a broken left mirror, broken clutch lever, broken rear turn signal and some road rash on the clutch cover. Unfortunately I had been laid off from work the day before the accident and havenít been called back yet so I havenít had the extra cash to buy the new parts. As soon as I do get called back I will get the parts and we will be back on the road!