The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
hawkeye (66), Rigpa (46), petersca (35)
Biltwell
DK Customs
NRHS Performance Long 2
Lowbrow Customs

Bison Motorsports

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th August 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

cajun1957a is on a distinguished roadcajun1957a is on a distinguished roadcajun1957a is on a distinguished roadcajun1957a is on a distinguished road
Default Ok where is the oil?

I recently changed the oil in my 65 xlh. For some reason, I did not put any in the primary side. I have read in the manual that it shares the same oil as the crank case. (A common sump). I guess I assumed that it would use the oil in that. Went for a nice 30 mile ride and its noisey as all get out. I guess there wasnt a whole lot of oil in the primary side. Doesnt seem to have damaged anything but Im going to pull it down anyway.

Does a 1965 XLH use the same oil and does it get it from the common motor oil in the engine, or do I have to add it to the primary side as well? Some guys are using a heavy HD Primary oil. Should I be using that and if so, will it mix with the engine oil and cause some sort of damage?

randy
Old 17th August 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

Ouch...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 17th August 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Harley-Davidson
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTCU (Geezer Glide)
72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun1957a View Post
I recently changed the oil in my 65 xlh. For some reason, I did not put any in the primary side. I have read in the manual that it shares the same oil as the crank case. (A common sump). I guess I assumed that it would use the oil in that. Went for a nice 30 mile ride and its noisey as all get out. I guess there wasnt a whole lot of oil in the primary side. Doesnt seem to have damaged anything but Im going to pull it down anyway.

Does a 1965 XLH use the same oil and does it get it from the common motor oil in the engine, or do I have to add it to the primary side as well? Some guys are using a heavy HD Primary oil. Should I be using that and if so, will it mix with the engine oil and cause some sort of damage?

randy
Answer: Two separate systems. 3QTS in the tank for the crankcase, and 24oz or 1.5 pints for the primary.

Hint: Get a FSM or equivalent.

Good reading: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...88#post1959688

I would do a total tear down on the primary side, and check the friction plates very well.

RIP: Eli
Old 17th August 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really nice

Never Assume, You can use the same Oil but must fill the Primary side as per the proper capacity.. I use 60W on motor and trans.. Get a Service Manual........
Old 17th August 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of light

The primary and crankcase may be separated. There is a factory transfer valve between the two that may have been sealed off, a thousand different ways. Or not. A lot can happen in 45 years...

The only way to know is to go in and look. Never assume the primary is oiled by the engine. The transfer valve allows the oils to mix, but the design is not intended to purposely lubricate the primary. A lot of people will separate the two, so that engine oil and primary oil don't mix. If that is the case, separate oils can be used in the engine and transmission.
Know Thy Hog

Old 17th August 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

cajun1957a is on a distinguished roadcajun1957a is on a distinguished roadcajun1957a is on a distinguished roadcajun1957a is on a distinguished road

GA thanks. I do know the transfer valve is still there. Ive always wondered why anyone would put a primary lube in the primary side if the transfer valve allows them to mix. Would that not destroy the engine oil if that happened. The book says that the oils are the same yet others use engine oil in the block and primary lube in the primary.. Whts your take on this

randy
Old 17th August 2009
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
jagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enough

If the transfer valve is still in place, use the same oil in the motor and primary. If the transfer valve is plugged, use what ever makes you feel good. Either way change the oil regularly for best results.
Old 17th August 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Spree
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
Shadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enough

The transfer valve is more of a breather than a oil transfer port. It is not meant to transfer oil from the crank to the primary. If allot of oil does transferrs through the valve from the crank to your primary it is broken and needs to be replaced or plugged as some do here.

I hope you didnt get too much damage.

Chris

Chris

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it,
no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own
reason and your own common sense."
-Buddha (536 B.C.-483 B.C.)
Old 17th August 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: BSA 650 chopper
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
madfox22 is an unknown quantity at this point

The oil transfer valve allows oil from the crankcase to enter the primary side only if you have excess oil, or pressure in the crankcase.
Excess crankcase pressure from worn rings, or valve guides. Excess oil from the oil pump check valve seeping, or from other wet sumping problems.
If you plug the oil transfer valve, and still have the excess oil, or the excess crankcase pressure problem, then the oil will end up going out the breather pipe instead of going into the primary.
My brother always had to add to his oil tank, but drain about the same amount from the primary.
Old 17th August 2009
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

It seems that "oil transfer valve" is incorrect terminology. Can someone look this up in a parts book and post the actual correct name and part number please.
Know Thy Hog