The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
truckmen (57), Scooter Trash (52), K2RMX.ROB (50), Milazzo (48), benny04hd (34), Foxman (34), Chase1126 (23)
Get Lowered
Figure Machine
Speedway Instruments
S&S Cycle

Sky Smith Insurance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th August 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
FourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really nice
Default Oil Transfer Valve

I've heard a lot of stuff about the mysterious oil transfer valve but couldn't find a thread that's dedicated specifically to it - so I'm starting one.
The transfer valve should be threaded into the case behind the primary cover and to the rear of the front primary chain (drive) sprocked.
It looks like this:

The oil transfer valve was used from 1957 - 1976. (OEM part number 25075-55.) It was discontinued in 1977.
I've been under the impression that it was put there to help keep the dry clutches from getting wet and it's designed so that oil will go from the primary to the engine if the primary oil level is too high. Does this sound right?
If the oil transfer valve is not blocked, oil from the primary can mix with oil in the engine. Some people plug the oil transfer valve and use ATF or other primary lubes in the primary/transmission. I'd be interested in seeing the different methods people have used to block off the oil transfer valve and what primary lube has been used after it's blocked. (Please don't turn this thread into an oil argument.)
If I understand correctly, the trans needs to be vented seperately if the oil transfer valve is blocked?
Anyhow, here it is.. the oil transfer valve thread.
Please share your oil transfer valve wisdom here.
Old 17th August 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
BuckIRyder has disabled reputation

Blocked mine off ('72CH) years ago. No ill effects seen. Pulled it out and a friend put a spot of weld in it. Its just as effective to pull the guts out and tap the hole and locktite a screw in. I did it because my primary was mysteriously filling with oil. Turned out to be a failed sprocket shaft seal. My motor sprocket was cracked thru the land that the seal rode on and that cut up the seal face. My trans vents thru a very small hole in the primary fill/inspection plug. And yes the trans needs to be vented somehow. I use 20/50 motorcycle synthetic as lube.
Old 17th August 2009
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default The El Cheapo way of doing it: Tap the hole in the valve...

...to either 8-32 or 10-32 thread-size (I forget which), thread in the appropriate screw slathered in red Loctite, and peen the screw head until it's distorted.

It'll never unscrew or back out of there --- EVER.
Old 17th August 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTD
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
superwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of light

Yep get rid of it if you like. Not much oil is ever "transferred" through it.
Old 17th August 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1966
RRB is on a distinguished roadRRB is on a distinguished roadRRB is on a distinguished roadRRB is on a distinguished roadRRB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourCams View Post
I've been under the impression that it was put there to help keep the dry clutches from getting wet and it's designed so that oil will go from the primary to the engine if the primary oil level is too high. Does this sound right?
Doesn't sound right to me. I don't think it had anything to do with the clutch, as the plates were isolated behind the derby cover and "should" be impervious to the oil in the primary/trans. I don't think the intention of the valve was to keep the primary oil at a certain volume. I think the valve had more to do with crankcase pressure than with oil levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourCams View Post

If the oil transfer valve is not blocked, oil from the primary can mix with oil in the engine.
The problem is usually not oil from the primary migrating from the primary to the crankcase, but the other way around, at least in my experience.

Your thread is a good idea, though. I'm interested in what others have to say, too.
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th August 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 61
Other Motorcycle Model: Superglide
Other Motorcycle Year: 74
MDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to all

I just posted on another thread, it's a crankcase "breather". If oil splashes over to the primary side it is incidental. If you use the same oil in your tranny and your engine, it's not a problem. If you don't you should probably plug it. I don't plug mine.
Old 18th August 2009

FourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really nice

So... what exactly is the purpose of the oil transfer valve?
The primary vents through the oil filler plug doesn't it?
I'm reasonably certain (but not positive) that if the primary is overfilled the oil will go into the engine throught the transfer valve. I don't think it's supposed to allow oil from the engine into the primary though.
Old 18th August 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 61
Other Motorcycle Model: Superglide
Other Motorcycle Year: 74
MDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to allMDT is a name known to all

The pupose is to vent the pressure from the engine crankcase created by your pistons as they go up and down. As Mick stated in the other thread, oil transfer valve is not the proper term for this item. It was never intended to prevent too much oil in your primary.
Old 18th August 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
The pupose is to vent the pressure from the engine crankcase created by your pistons as they go up and down. As Mick stated in the other thread, oil transfer valve is not the proper term for this item. It was never intended to prevent too much oil in your primary.
Why would the crankcase vent into the primary? The crankcase has a breather on the oil pump and it vents through the cam chest doesn't it?

Are sure you're not talking about the "foo foo" valve?

If it's not the proper term, why would J&P, V-Twin, this forum, and every other Ironhead forum I've seen over the past 15 years refer to it as an oil transfer valve?
And why would the people who have plugged it not be having problems with engine seals if after they blocked it they vented the transmission and not the engine?
It makes more sense to me that it would vent from the primary into the crankcase - especially since there's a vacuum in the engine when the piston goes up and the crankcase breather is on the opposite side of the engine.

(I'm really confused)
Old 18th August 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

+1 on that. There is a whole crankcase breather system timed on the oil pump and venting out past the generator drive. That oil transfer valve, whatever its purpose, is not to control crankcase pressure. No way is the crankcase breathing into the primary, which then breathes to atmosphere through a pin hole in the filler cap.

Which way is valve set up to flow? If someone has a set of cases around, can they see if the valve is set to allow flow from the primary into the crankcases or vice versa?

I always assumed it allowed oil to flow from the primary back into the crankcase if the sprocket shaft seal was leaking.