The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Energy One Clutches
Motor Stage
Lowbrow Customs
Lowbrow Customs

Burly

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th August 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1981 IronHead
Other Motorcycle Model: 1975 Aermacchi/H-D SX 175
Stick_Man is on a distinguished roadStick_Man is on a distinguished roadStick_Man is on a distinguished road
Default Strange Oil Bottle thing

I bought an '81 IH 2 months ago and I'm still in the process of going through the bike. There's this strange little bottle type thing on the bike; it resembles the little shot, hard liquor bottles you see on airplanes and hotel rooms. It has at least one hose running to it; probably 2 though. It's protruding down from under the bike almost behind my left foot.

The individual I bought it from told me he put it there as a precautionary measure to keep oil from ever getting on the rear brake rotor. It seemed like a good thing at the time. However, I notice when I sometimes give the bike too much throttle -- when warming it up -- that oil sometimes comes out of it. Otherwise I can't really tell if the bike leaks or not.

in any case, does anyone know what this thing is supposed to be?
Old 18th August 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

Sounds like a catch bottle for the crankcase breather tube/s coming from the front of the cam cover. Since this tube can drip or spew a little oil, the PO probably fitted a container to catch it.

Eric
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 18th August 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200XLCR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
SCAGNETTI is on a distinguished roadSCAGNETTI is on a distinguished roadSCAGNETTI is on a distinguished road

It sounds like a home made catch can. Also, it's an '81 ironhead it leaks oil!, if doesn't leak oil you don't have any. Before EPA standards became so tough h-d's cases vented to the ground.
Old 18th August 2009
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default That's correct. And that's where it SHOULD be venting...

...not into any "catch can".

How the hell is that bike supposed to mark it's territoty, then?
Old 18th August 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
69SPORTSTER is an unknown quantity at this point

NONSENSE.. it's the oil reservoir for the James Bond oil slick, when you"re being chased by the Po-leese...
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th August 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of light

What year bike? If it's the old style oil pump, it may not be timed correctly. That could cause the bike to wet sump and spew more oil out the vent tube than if the pump were timed correctly.

It could have a slightly leaky check valve on the supply side, causing the same problem. The ones I've seen that wet sumped from a leaky check valve were obvious. If it only catches a small amount, everything may be normal.
Old 18th August 2009
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 71 xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 74 xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74
Other Motorcycle Model: BT rigid hand shift
fergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of light

post a pic of this thing....I have a catch can on a big twin motor...it should have a breather on it and some way to drain it....if it is the size of a "shot" size Jackie-D bottle, it's too small to do much good
Old 19th August 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki kz650
Other Motorcycle Year: 1978
NJ Ironhead is on a distinguished roadNJ Ironhead is on a distinguished roadNJ Ironhead is on a distinguished road

post pictures.. id like to see the catch can idea. ive been thinking of something custom for my bike.. ive seen them before but id like to see what you guys have. no offense but i dont feel like having oil all over my rear tire.. my chances is i will roll overthe puddle i created.
Old 19th August 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
southflasportster is a jewel in the roughsouthflasportster is a jewel in the roughsouthflasportster is a jewel in the roughsouthflasportster is a jewel in the roughsouthflasportster is a jewel in the roughsouthflasportster is a jewel in the roughsouthflasportster is a jewel in the roughsouthflasportster is a jewel in the roughsouthflasportster is a jewel in the roughsouthflasportster is a jewel in the roughsouthflasportster is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SPORTSTER View Post
NONSENSE.. it's the oil reservoir for the James Bond oil slick, when you"re being chased by the Po-leese...
Old 27th August 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1981 IronHead
Other Motorcycle Model: 1975 Aermacchi/H-D SX 175
Stick_Man is on a distinguished roadStick_Man is on a distinguished roadStick_Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_Ironhead View Post
What year bike? If it's the old style oil pump, it may not be timed correctly. That could cause the bike to wet sump and spew more oil out the vent tube than if the pump were timed correctly.

It could have a slightly leaky check valve on the supply side, causing the same problem. The ones I've seen that wet sumped from a leaky check valve were obvious. If it only catches a small amount, everything may be normal.
It's an 81. What's a small amount? Although something is wrong -- it stalls and front plug is lean.
Know Thy Hog