The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
Cherrylady2 (58), kkbii (51), Cholo, Quebeker, poboy_27 (43), jay 21 (41), Matt-04-883 (40), timhypo (39), harleybuell2000 (38), Biker-Dale (36)
Bison Motorsports
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs
Speedway Instruments

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th August 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
RonnieJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lollipop Baffle

I know I will get increased back pressure using a homemade lollipop baffle in gutted mufflers or drag pipes but will it also quieten it down?
Old 19th August 2009
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

Nope, won't help with that

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 19th August 2009
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh/240 ridgid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
pattywagon has a spectacular aura aboutpattywagon has a spectacular aura aboutpattywagon has a spectacular aura aboutpattywagon has a spectacular aura aboutpattywagon has a spectacular aura aboutpattywagon has a spectacular aura aboutpattywagon has a spectacular aura aboutpattywagon has a spectacular aura aboutpattywagon has a spectacular aura aboutpattywagon has a spectacular aura about

yea it tones it down some,just remember the old saying If its to loud your to old!!!!!!!!
Old 19th August 2009
Know It All

RonnieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Pattywagon that hurts, Yea I'm getting older but I'm more concerned with the neighbors. I lived in Alaska and no one cared but now I live in a neighborhood in Michigan that is quiet as a mouse.
Old 20th August 2009
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh/240 ridgid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
pattywagon has a spectacular aura aboutpattywagon has a spectacular aura aboutpattywagon has a spectacular aura aboutpattywagon has a spectacular aura aboutpattywagon has a spectacular aura aboutpattywagon has a spectacular aura aboutpattywagon has a spectacular aura aboutpattywagon has a spectacular aura aboutpattywagon has a spectacular aura aboutpattywagon has a spectacular aura about

Just poking fun hell I am 46 but I run 2 into 1 supertrapp header with the muffler removed and a turn out welded on with a lolipop in it.

Last edited by pattywagon; 20th August 2009 at 04:18.. Reason: pic added
Know Thy Hog

Old 27th September 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883
Other Motorcycle Model: honda xr250r
Other Motorcycle Year: 87
bass thrasher is an unknown quantity at this point

damn pattywagon, that super untrapped pipe looks awesome as hell. too bad you had to pay all the cash for the initial exhuast you arent using. i love the look of two-one with a collector turn out
Old 27th September 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJ View Post
I know I will get increased back pressure using a homemade lollipop baffle in gutted mufflers or drag pipes but will it also quieten it down?
No probably not. I have Thunder Monster baffles, which are a fancy kind of the same thing and they don't cut down on the music.
Completely stock except for, Branch #5 heads & 10.5:1 JE pistons, Red Shift V531 cams, S&S Super E, ThunderJet, V&H Sideshots, S&S Flywheels, Dyna 2000i, Stortz 55mm Inverted Fork, JMC Swingarm, Works Performance 12.5" Shocks, PM 4 Piston, PM wheels, 18 x 150 R tire, Custom Belt Drive Conversion, Still Has Original Nut Behind The Bars
Old 27th September 2009
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R 90+HP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2276cc VW sandrail
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
misterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of light

Lollipops are for children, what you need is a real performance exhaust that works which means it will have a muffler that works. I wish everyone on here would read Aarons (asw racing) excellent thread on exhaust systems. Open pipes kill your power over 95 % of the rpm range, a lollipop helps a bit it's still like draging a boat anchor behind you. The baffles in the muffler do a lot more than just quiet things down.
04 1200R 90+HP/10.5-1 SE pistons/.536 cams/Heads by MR T/mikuni HSR 42 w/25 pilot, 96 needle, 170 main/TC88A ignition w turbotas mod 33 map pos.4/ Supertrapp 2-1 w 23 disks/ 28T FRONT PULLEY /NRHS Hurricane A/C & adj. pushrods /progressive 440 shocks & fork springs w/10 OZ SE fork oil
Old 27th September 2009
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Oli1200 is on a distinguished roadOli1200 is on a distinguished road

I ran a set of those Big City Thunder torque ring insert things a few years ago. They just cut down on the raspy throttle roll off "blaaat" a little bit, they don't really cut down on sound compared to real baffles. Same would be for the lolly pop trick most likely.

Speaking of which, I must be getting soft. I had been running open straight headers for a few years until recently when I slipped in some standard 4" baffles to make Johhny Law happy. The other day I took them out to see what the sound was like again and I was surprised at how loud they were. I couldn't see how I rode for so long without baffles, I just got used to it. I put the baffles back in, they definitely give you a bit more on the low end to mid range, easier on the motor, easier on the neighbours, and they make you legal.
Old 27th September 2009
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterT View Post
Lollipops are for children, what you need is a real performance exhaust that works which means it will have a muffler that works. I wish everyone on here would read Aarons (asw racing) excellent thread on exhaust systems. Open pipes kill your power over 95 % of the rpm range, a lollipop helps a bit it's still like draging a boat anchor behind you. The baffles in the muffler do a lot more than just quiet things down.

To each is thier own..not everyone still rides around with the stock seat while having the
stock reflectors installed on the front sliders..
Know Thy Hog