The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Superbrace.com
Lowbrow Customs
Lickscycles
NHRS Performance

Lickscycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: bobber
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
PORKCHOPT is on a distinguished roadPORKCHOPT is on a distinguished roadPORKCHOPT is on a distinguished road
Default Dyna S Question..................

Why Does The Instructions For The Dyna S Dual Fire Ignition Say That I Can't Use The Stock Coil From My '86 Sporty?

And Why Can't You Use A 3 Ohm Coil On The Street?
Old 21st August 2009
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORKCHOPT View Post
Why Does The Instructions For The Dyna S Dual Fire Ignition Say That I Can't Use The Stock Coil From My '86 Sporty?

And Why Can't You Use A 3 Ohm Coil On The Street?
The Dyna S ignition is a race ignition (If memory serves me) the stock coil carry's too much impedance and won't put out the correct spark..

Quote:
The Dyna S High Performance Ignition System, designed for Harleys, is a complete self-contained electronic ignition system built with the latest state-of-the-art engineering. This is the same ignition used by top racers over the past 2 decades. The Dyna S is completely housed behind the ignition cover and uses a magnetic rotor with the original spark advancer, so the factory advance curve is maintained.
Dyna high tech coils for Harley-Davidson Big Twins and Sportsters are American made, top quality performance coils . Tested and proven on street, racing, and touring motorcycles for over fourteen years. Dyna coils produce spark voltages in excess of 30,000 volts and spark energies second to none. All Dyna Coils are guaranteed against defects in materials and workmanship.
  • The DSK6-1 Dyna S and coil system includes a DC7-1 high energy coil
  • The DSK6-2 Dyna S and coil system is designed for single-fire applications; includes two DC10-1 Dyna coils
go with a dyna 2ki or 2ki-P for street use..

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch