The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 2  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Lickscycles
Licks Holiday
Foxcreek Leather
Motor Stage

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th May 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
bricklr has disabled reputation
Default Ignition sensor problem

Hello. I've had an ongoing problem with my bike shutting down when it gets hot, and not starting again untill it cools off. I've narrowed it down to the ignition sensor. If I push on it after it shuts down, it will get spark, and stay running untill I let off pressure. Everything's tight and clean. I changed modules and it does the same thing. It will only stay running when hot if there is pressure on it. I have a rubber shim between the module and the plate cover so I can ride it. The problem is the rubber gets hot and eventually lets off pressure which leaves me stranded again. Anybody have any ideas what is wrong. The rotor and cam seem to be tight. Thanks in advance.
Old 15th May 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Dead Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
chrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nice

It does the same thing with the new module too? The module you installed was brand new or known good?

Cam and rotor SEEM to be tight? What does that mean? The ignition rotor is bolted solidly to the cam? Did you remove the rotor to see if it's cracked or damaged in some way?

You can't really check the end play or free play on the cam without removing the pressure off it, by removing the rocker boxes.

This is a weird one for sure, never heard of it. Can't wait to hear what it is.

Normally when the ignition module fails due to heat, a new one fixes the problem, so it's really weird that yours was not fixed when you installed a new module. Maybe there's another heat related failure, the coil or something?

--Chris
Old 15th May 2007
Biker

Default ignition sensor problem

Thanks for the reply. Module was not new, but was known good. What's the chances of both of them working when pressure applyed? Unless all that fail because of heat do this. I don't know. By clean I meant all is clean around the contact plate where the module mounts. Rotor was tight and was taken off and inspected. I will check it again for a hairline crack. Checking cam bearings sounds like a big job. There is only 5000 miles on the bike, so I'll do that last. I stumbled apon this by accident. I was going to check the module by cooling it with air in a can held upside down (it's very cold) I bumped the module by accident and bang... it backfired. I forgot I had left the key on. So I tryed starting it again and nothing... wouldn't start. So I pushed on the module and it started up. Stayed running untill I let off. The coil was the first thing I replaced. Thanks.
Old 15th May 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Dead Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
chrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nice

Chances are the module you tried was bad too. That is exactly how they fail and it's not uncommon with '98-'03 modules. I doubt it's anything else. There are no more cam bearings, just bushings on both ends. I doubt they are worn out at 5000 miles.

--Chris
Old 28th May 2007
Biker

Bought a brand new ignition module sensor. Bike runs better than ever. I learnend 2 lessons. One is how to override a bad module by putting pressure on it. It's a quick fix that will get you home and verify your problem. The other is to NEVER BUY USED ELECTRICAL PARTS! I tried to save a few bucks, and all it did was cause me unnecessary stress and frustration. Thanks for the help Criss.
Know Thy Hog

Old 2nd June 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Jojo_Dogboy has disabled reputation

Try the pick up in the nose cone hit it with a blow dryer or heat gun and see if the bike shut's down. I have been chasing this problem too. I just changes out the entire ignition system to a Crane kit and now I have no power. I timed it with a gun and can only get the oo mark not the o mark that crane says should be showing in the timing window. There just is no power the bike will rev to the limmiter but can barely pull me off a stop sign on flat ground.
Old 2nd June 2007
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Night Train
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
WinXP will become famous soon enoughWinXP will become famous soon enoughWinXP will become famous soon enoughWinXP will become famous soon enoughWinXP will become famous soon enoughWinXP will become famous soon enough

Jojo_Dogboy

I would say you maybe timing it wrong. You need to static time it first an this will get real close to correct timing. There should be a red light on the module that will light up for static timing. An use the vertical hash mark on the flywheel to set it by. Look about 3/4 down the page to show timing mark to use for the 96 an later.
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/i..._timing_00.htm
09 Dyna Street Bob
Old 19th June 2010
Biker

jfanelli91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone post a pic of where exactly I need to heat with the blow dryer to test my ignition sensor. I have been having this stalling problem myself after about 30 mins of riding. My bike stalls when I let off the throttle until it cools then I can ride again for a little while. I am told you can test the sensor by putting a blow dryer on it to heat it and if the bike stalls, you know it is a bad sensor. Where do I need to place the blow dryer? Also how much is a new sensor? Thanks guys I appreciate any help!
Old 24th June 2010
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
SuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanelli91 View Post
Can anyone post a pic of where exactly I need to heat with the blow dryer to test my ignition sensor. I have been having this stalling problem myself after about 30 mins of riding. My bike stalls when I let off the throttle until it cools then I can ride again for a little while. I am told you can test the sensor by putting a blow dryer on it to heat it and if the bike stalls, you know it is a bad sensor. Where do I need to place the blow dryer? Also how much is a new sensor? Thanks guys I appreciate any help!
With the inner and outer covers off, place the hair dryer a few inches away and turn it on. Mine shut off in about 5 minutes...