The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Licks Tanklift  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Dealers, Stealers, Indys and Parts Dealers
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Dealers, Stealers, Indys and Parts Dealers Who did good by you and who did bad by you

Members Birthdays
Licks Holiday
DK Customs
Ironworks Magazine
Biltwell

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th May 2007
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
BlueHen is on a distinguished roadBlueHen is on a distinguished roadBlueHen is on a distinguished roadBlueHen is on a distinguished road
Default Stupid Stealer Changed My Filter to Chrome

So I pick up the bike last night after getting the 5K service done. It was five mintues before they closed, so I was in a rush getting out of there.

Anyway, I get home and notice that instead of replacing my black oil filter with another black one, they used a chrome one. I thought - this sucks, they better not have charged me extra for this. I then look at my bill and, sure enough, I got hit for an extra $2.30 for the chrome filter. I know it's not a big deal on a $250 bill, but it still irritates me.

Unless you say otherwise, the default should be you get a black one - especially on a Roadster.

Oh well - just needed to vent.
Old 15th May 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Hot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHen View Post
So I pick up the bike last night after getting the 5K service done. It was five mintues before they closed, so I was in a rush getting out of there.

Anyway, I get home and notice that instead of replacing my black oil filter with another black one, they used a chrome one. I thought - this sucks, they better not have charged me extra for this. I then look at my bill and, sure enough, I got hit for an extra $2.30 for the chrome filter. I know it's not a big deal on a $250 bill, but it still irritates me.

Unless you say otherwise, the default should be you get a black one - especially on a Roadster.

Oh well - just needed to vent.

Take it back and tell 'em you didn't ask for a chrome one and to change it!
Godspeed brother.[/B]

[B]"I just love the 'mechanicalness' of it"[/B]
--Indian Larry Desmedt[/SIZE]
Old 15th May 2007
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

I concur. tell them to put a black one on if you didn't ask for chrome.
www.nrhsperformance.com

Taking down the competition one Bonneville record at a time!!
Old 15th May 2007
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHPI
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
dracolich is on a distinguished roaddracolich is on a distinguished roaddracolich is on a distinguished roaddracolich is on a distinguished road

My dealer never has the black ones but they have the chrome filters coming out of every orifice. I always end up special ordering a black filter after throwing the chrome one back at them.
Old 15th May 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

I bought a filter last month to change my oil. The parts guy at the dealer gave me a funny look when I told him I didn't want the chrome one he put on the counter. They did have a black one in stock, though.
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th May 2007
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracolich View Post
My dealer never has the black ones but they have the chrome filters coming out of every orifice. I always end up special ordering a black filter after throwing the chrome one back at them.
That's funny, it's backwards here in Syracuse. The only place here to get a black filter is at the dealer, all of the indies only carry chrome.

If you take it back and tell them to change it, I bet you'll never get the wrong one again, that would probably be good. At least you should get your $2.30 back. It's not much money, but it's worth making a point out of it.

Gazza
Old 15th May 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
loki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really nice

The chrome one is better. It reflects the sun's heat and cools your oil better than a black one which would absorb the sun's heat. The stealer is looking out for you.

Just kidding, I'd bitch at the stealer if I were you.
Old 15th May 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200Low
07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough

since when did they charge extra for the chrome one???? I actually wanted the chrome one on mine, and they cost the same here at dealer!!!! I kno 2.30 aint a big deal but, go back bitch, and get what you want and your 2.30 back and find out what the charge was for b/c they cost the same!!!
S/E ac..&..SERT
Foward Controls
10" Licks Shocks
Badlander Seat
Old 15th May 2007
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: '73 Yamaha DT175
DEANER is a jewel in the roughDEANER is a jewel in the roughDEANER is a jewel in the roughDEANER is a jewel in the roughDEANER is a jewel in the roughDEANER is a jewel in the roughDEANER is a jewel in the roughDEANER is a jewel in the roughDEANER is a jewel in the roughDEANER is a jewel in the roughDEANER is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07sporty View Post
since when did they charge extra for the chrome one???? I actually wanted the chrome one on mine, and they cost the same here at dealer!!!! I kno 2.30 aint a big deal but, go back bitch, and get what you want and your 2.30 back and find out what the charge was for b/c they cost the same!!!
Nope.
Chrome is extra here. That's why I buy the black.....Why spend the $$.
start with the words "Nice Harley".
Old 15th May 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell xb12r
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '09
CT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the roughCT1200 is a jewel in the rough

Plus its a MAJOR pita to clean. Its happened to me twice so far, the only times that I haven't changed the oil myself.

Keep an eye on the road... Theres always something to see.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Know Thy Hog