The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Cruiser Customizing  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Burly
NRHS Performance Long 2
Motor Stage
Lickscycles

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
JofoRidin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best way to sell parts?

OK, So I bought my '02 XL1200 in what was essentially an "estate sale" and it came with 4 boxes of "stuff". The previous owner had the bike setup as a cruiser and I'm already in full-swing outfitting her as a cafe so I don't have a lot of use for a lot of it.

In addition to the StraightShots that I'm about to remove, it also came with a set of brand new LongShots (obviously for some other make/model of bike that I'm still trying to determine) and the stock exhaust. I also have 2 sissy bars, a small luggage rack, a sportster fairing, a HUGE fairing obviously for some other bike, leather saddlebags, an engine guard that I took off, and quite a few other odds and ends.

Other than the exhausts, is it worth even trying to offload this stuff or should I just throw the boxes in the attic and forget about it? If it's worth something, what's the best way to get rid of all this stuff without taking on a part-time ebay job?

Thanks!
Old 29th August 2009
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

You could place ads with pictures and descriptions here in the classified adds.

http://xlforum.net/pp_classified/index.php

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 29th August 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell S2T "Aurora"
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Phelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to behold

Even selling it cheap, that stuff will bring some dough. Sometimes it's a pain to get things going on eBay, but it can be worth it. I've postes Lora Of stuff in the classifieds here and BadWeb and on eBay in the past, and it really, which I use depends on what I'm selling and how fast I want to move it. If you want, you can send me pics of the stuff and I can help you identify the stuff and give you pointers on how to list it. On eBay, title line is key to a quick, good sale.
Old 29th August 2009
Angel Rider

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Other Motorcycle Year: 02
BryanEOD will become famous soon enoughBryanEOD will become famous soon enoughBryanEOD will become famous soon enoughBryanEOD will become famous soon enoughBryanEOD will become famous soon enoughBryanEOD will become famous soon enoughBryanEOD will become famous soon enough

I agree that ebay can be worth your time and if you set up a USPS account you can wiegh your shippments on a home scale and pay and print your shipping label online... leave it where your postal person picks up mail. Takes one of the pains out of ebay.
The two worst strategic mistakes to make are acting prematurely and letting an opportunity slip; to avoid this, the warrior treats each situation as if it were unique and never resorts to formulae, recipes or other people's opinions.
-Paulo Coelho

1%er Name
Ratso of the Gas Guzzlers MC
Old 29th August 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
mid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nicemid30 is just really nice

Local craigslist is also an option
Know Thy Hog

Old 29th August 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

All Harley parts sell like dope.
Completely stock except for, Branch #5 heads & 10.5:1 JE pistons, Red Shift V531 cams, S&S Super E, ThunderJet, V&H Sideshots, S&S Flywheels, Dyna 2000i, Stortz 55mm Inverted Fork, JMC Swingarm, Works Performance 12.5" Shocks, PM 4 Piston, PM wheels, 18 x 150 R tire, Custom Belt Drive Conversion, Still Has Original Nut Behind The Bars
Old 29th August 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Baphomet has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JofoRidin View Post
Other than the exhausts, is it worth even trying to offload this stuff or should I just throw the boxes in the attic and forget about it? If it's worth something, what's the best way to get rid of all this stuff without taking on a part-time ebay job?
I sell stuff on eBay from time to time and most of what you mentioned would sell pretty quickly. Before I post something there, I search for similar products and see if they are being bid on and get an idea for how much the item is going for. If similar items aren't receiving bids, I don't bother listing. Like your sissy bars, they would go quickly. I always add the cost of shipping in my initial asking price so I can list as "free shipping" too. Been on eBay since 2000 so I have earned a lot of positive feedback there, which is important because many buyers are leery of buying a product from someone just beginning (no feedback) when they can buy from someone else who has a proven track record. On the other hand, some people don't care and will buy from anyone.

I have not used the classifieds here yet, but that might be your best method. I have bought and sold stuff with other members here and have had not trouble at all doing it. If someone has something I want, I will PM them and ask for it. Or if they are planning to buy something I have, I PM them and let them know I can sell it to them. I will try the classifieds here next time I have something decent and see what happens.
Old 29th August 2009
JESTER Mafia-Hooligan Div

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
BWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of people looking for the MOCO 1/4 fairing....if that's what you have.

One word of warning with E-Bay.......I sold a Thunderheader on there and took a major beating when I shipped it to California from Indiana. I used "their" shipping calculator and got hosed big time. Use the Post Office....much cheaper than Brown (UPS)

Stuff: YES
Old 29th August 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
jamesr242 is on a distinguished roadjamesr242 is on a distinguished roadjamesr242 is on a distinguished roadjamesr242 is on a distinguished road

My advice is to sell the more expensive, shippable items on ebay. Then the bigger stuff on craigslist if you have any, and anything leftover on here.

One more thing about ebay, make sure that you make it clear that payment is due promptly in the auction. You get a lot of jerkoffs with bike parts. I had a guy that bought over $350 of my stuff, took over a week to pay and wanted additional discounts on shipping even though the price was clearly stated in the auction. I eventually got my money though. Ebay is AWESOME for Harley parts. I sold an oil cooler for more than I paid for it (more than discount dealers).
Old 29th August 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

I would list it all on ebay. MAke sure your shipping is priced to cover cost. You might be surprised how much you can get for a part you might think is worthless.
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.
Know Thy Hog