The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Progressive Suspension
RYCA Motors
Lowbrow Customs
883 Sportster

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th May 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
JoeMap has disabled reputation
Unhappy Help: Gas Cap Issue

Ok, here's the deal. I bought a new 3.3 gallon tank to replace my old 2 gallon tank. Love the new tank and the extra capacity except the cap doesn't seem to fit right. I didn't get a new cap for the new tank, still using the old cap.

The problem is the cap doesn't screw in all the way. I don't know if the vent tube is too long or what. I gave my buddy my old tank so I can't compare them now. While riding down the road, gas will seep out and stream down the tank (not all over but in a few places). I screw the cap in and even let it click although I don't think I'm supposed to (makes it rattle eventually).

Mileage is down below 40 now for the first time ever due to seeping and I think evaporation.

I'm gonna post some pics here and I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Nevermind the pics. I posted them as attachments in the test area but they won't post now. I don't get it. Evidently, pics are too complicated for me too. I do have them loaded in my gallery, though.

Thanks,

JoeMap
Old 16th May 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
Sportster/Buell Model #2: ..oO(in my dreams)
Prebs is just really nicePrebs is just really nicePrebs is just really nicePrebs is just really nicePrebs is just really nicePrebs is just really nicePrebs is just really nicePrebs is just really nicePrebs is just really nicePrebs is just really nicePrebs is just really nice

I'm no pro. but it looks like the cap isn't going down enough to prevent leaks. and seal properly. I would get a proper cap that fits the that particular tank. I am sure someone with alot more knowledge will chime in.

06 883L Black Cherry- C/S slip ons, stage one, BS-Nekid, Progress 412's
Old 16th May 2007
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Deimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to allDeimus is a name known to all

I agree with you that it could be hitting the vent tube. When I bought my pop-up cap, it would hit the vent tube before screwing all the way in. I just too a piece of wood and a hammer and carefully bent the vent tube forward so that the new cap would clear it. Worked perfectly for me.
Old 16th May 2007
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Ultra Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
gusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to allgusotto is a name known to all

You ought to be able to find another rider who would let you try their cap from a newer tank.

Just a quick on/off should tell you if there was any difference.
It would just take a couple of minutes.

Gas running down the side of the tank has only to drip onto your hot engine and "Poof"!
You're on fire.

Who cares about your new low MPG, you have to lookout that the bike doesn't catch on fire.

It's a real safety issue to be fixed quickly.
2002 XL 1200 SE A/C & SE mufflers Mustang seat, Harley Hard Bags, Detachable Backrest w/Luggage Rack Kuryakyn Stop/Turn Signal Controller w/pulse brake, Pegs and Stirrups, Forward Controls, Memphis Fats Windshield
Old 16th May 2007

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Moker has disabled reputation

Code:
 [img]image location aka url[/img]
there are plenty of free websites that host pics. check the "how to" forum.
Know Thy Hog