The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Ironworks Magazine
RYCA Motors
Speedway Instruments
Motor Stage

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh sporster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
craneman is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation runs like chit

Hi i,m new here and having problems with my newly aquired 81 xlh sporster ironhead
almost everytime i give it gas it backfires though the carb and then picks up revs.
and it doesn't seem to pull much under driving
any ideas where to start?
by the way it starts perfecty on choke ,, two gas shots and choke and it hardly has to turn over and brooum !!
turn choke of and it runs but seems rear cylinder only fires once it a while on idle ,,
any ideas?
Peter
Old 1st September 2009
Biker

Default thx!

i guess tuning for dummies would be for me !
maybe someone has a good link to manual for my bike.
would probably be a good start to set timing and point for my ironhead 81
Old 1st September 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Jafa39 will become famous soon enoughJafa39 will become famous soon enoughJafa39 will become famous soon enoughJafa39 will become famous soon enoughJafa39 will become famous soon enoughJafa39 will become famous soon enough

Sounds like either an intake leak or your low speed jet is too small.....Maybe accelerator pump needs work too
Old 1st September 2009
Savant?

Sportster/Buell Model: rigid 88" highly modified
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: iforgot
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80's
Other Motorcycle Model: crs
Other Motorcycle Year: 80's
wilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneman View Post
Hi i,m new here and having problems with my newly aquired 81 xlh sporster ironhead
almost everytime i give it gas it backfires though the carb and then picks up revs.
and it doesn't seem to pull much under driving
any ideas where to start?
by the way it starts perfecty on choke ,, two gas shots and choke and it hardly has to turn over and brooum !!
turn choke of and it runs but seems rear cylinder only fires once it a while on idle ,,
any ideas?
Peter
Seal up intake and exhaust leaks. Flush carb and take note of jet sizes. Clean gas tank and post a picture of the plugs. Or at least describe what the plugs look like.
Old 1st September 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneman View Post
maybe someone has a good link to manual for my bike.
would probably be a good start to set timing and point for my ironhead 81
Some libraries subscribe to Ebsco Host. They publish on-line small engine manuals. One of them is for the IH Sportster - Clymer I believe. Check with your local library.

www.sunnymeadcycles.com has the FSM in pdf format, as do others. Ebay as well...

You need a manual (or 2).

And if you haven't checked out the stickies, (orange links at the top of the IH Forum page) start there: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=465866
Know Thy Hog

Old 1st September 2009
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

1. adjust pushrods - See Sticky post

2. return carb to stock jets; go one size larger on both jets if running open pipes and A/C; set pilot screw to 1 turn out from gently seated - Sticky on cleaning a carb

3. set ignition timing to stock [40` BTDC] - Sticky

4. check for and fix intake and exhaust leaks - Sticky

5. set slow jet and pilot screw to optimal setting - Sticky on carb tuning

6. set main jet to optimal setting - Sticky on carb tuning
Old 1st September 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
nativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nice

Just curious, hasn't been stated but which carb are you running?
Old 1st September 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafa39 View Post
Sounds like either an intake leak or your low speed jet is too small.....Maybe accelerator pump needs work too
My thoughts, too. A lean condition and/or accelerator pump not working.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 2nd September 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Other Motorcycle Model: Springer Softtail
Other Motorcycle Year: 89'
1976 XL is on a distinguished road1976 XL is on a distinguished road

My money is on an intake leak, but if you don't have a manual, get one! Until you do, the stickies will get you started, just like the guys said. Intake\Exhaust sealing is crucial for tuning. Pushrod\Valve adjustment is also very important, you could burn valves or worse if not done correctly. Carb. support is also vital. The weight of the carb(if not supported well,with a bracket) will cause intake sealing issues. Get a manual(or two) soon. Good Luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 2nd September 2009
Biker

where do i start! carb is kehin stock ,, i cleaned it out good ,,was not real dirty to start with.
next i sealed up intake ,disassembled carb and intake ,, resealed it good with a light coat of high temp gasket orange,rubber rings looked a little worn so i put a little sealant, along with the carb flange .
not much change yet
adjusted carb mix ,, not much change ,,
drove it again ,, swore at it again but in a harley ironhead manner! lol
anyway keeps getin worse ,, now its back firin through rear pipe !
ok ok ,, start again,, check compression , (which i should have done when i bought the old horse) 90 in rear 110 in front , don,t know what it should be (if all else fails read the manual) dosn,t look good to me but it should still run i,m thinking.
lets check fire ,,plugs are black ,,rich i guess but should still run ,, rear cyl not running good , ok play with points, change wires to plugs ,, still no diff.
noticed coil was bleeding ,, ok i guess i need a new coil,, but still has nice blue flame on both plugs?
this might be another problem that is arising
for me at this point it seems that my rear cylinder is going to the hounds either pushrods or rockers or valves and maybe even rings but seems to be exhaust valve i think?
any way to make a long story long ,har har i think i bought i winter project!
what is compression test pressure supposed to be ?
now i know why everybody has more that one bike !! lol
Know Thy Hog