The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Foxcreek Leather
Zippers Performance
DK Customs
Hammer Performance

Licks Holiday

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2009
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XR1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Thruxton
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
BLIGHT is on a distinguished roadBLIGHT is on a distinguished roadBLIGHT is on a distinguished roadBLIGHT is on a distinguished roadBLIGHT is on a distinguished road
Default My COLOR Wiring Diagram '77 XLCR

Hey dudes... I'm well along on my 'gentle' restoration of the '77 XLCR. It seems like I've been working on this a lot bike a lot longer than I have, but I only got my hands on it August 18th! It won't be a 'concours' bike, 'cause I just want it to look good enough so I can actually ride it and be proud of the way it looks!

Anyway... I'll post some update pics in a day or two. I've been doing a lot of sanding, cleaning, painting, wiring, sweating... etc.

Wiring? Yeah, the bike had been monkeyed with. Some of the wires were replaced with wires of different colors (thanks!) and the starter relay was shot... I replaced all the incorrect stuff, and just to make it a little clearer (for me) I decided to draw a color wiring diagram on AutoCad.

It just helps me a lot to see things in COLOR. I traced two different wiring diagrams and added my own touches to simplify and clarify things. This is NOT H-D's artwork, so don't fret about copyright infringements... this is MY original artwork, and I'm contributing it here for the XL Forum users to use. I used this actual diagram to check out and rewire my bike, and everything works! No guarantees though! If you see any errors please let me know! Use at your own risk, bla bla bla.

Cheers!
BLIGHT
Old 2nd September 2009
Drag Race Champion

BLIGHT is on a distinguished roadBLIGHT is on a distinguished roadBLIGHT is on a distinguished roadBLIGHT is on a distinguished roadBLIGHT is on a distinguished road

Oh, by the way... PM me if any of you XLCR owners want a PDF image of the diagrams. They are much clearer than the JPG's I posted here in case you want to save them in your computer for future reference.

Cheers,
BLIGHT
Old 2nd September 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
FourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really nice

Very nice!
Is the jumper on the ignition switch stock? or did you put it there to combine the lights and ignition?
(I'm wondering if that was hd's solution to mandatory daytime running lights)
Old 2nd September 2009
Drag Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourCams View Post
Very nice!
Is the jumper on the ignition switch stock? or did you put it there to combine the lights and ignition?
(I'm wondering if that was hd's solution to manditory daytime running lights)
Hey 4Cams... that jumper is right off the '77 XLCR H-D shop manual wiring diagram. I think the full-time 'headlight law' came into effect around '77. (Actually, I left this jumper off my bike) I like to have the choice on whether the headlight is on or not. I actually like the fact that H-D put a 3 position ignition switch on these bikes to permit separate headlight/ignition control.

Cheers,
BLIGHT
Old 2nd September 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
FourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLIGHT View Post
Hey 4Cams... that jumper is right off the '77 XLCR H-D shop manual wiring diagram. I think the full-time 'headlight law' came into effect around '77. (Actually, I left this jumper off my bike) I like to have the choice on whether the headlight is on or not. I actually like the fact that H-D put a 3 position ignition switch on these bikes to permit separate headlight/ignition control.

Cheers,
BLIGHT
Thanks man. I wish the stock diagrams were color coded.
You put a lot of work into that. Once again; nice job.
Know Thy Hog

Old 2nd September 2009
Drag Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourCams View Post
Thanks man. I wish the stock diagrams were color coded. You put a lot of work into that. Once again; nice job.
Thanks, I might be persuaded to do another popular diagram in COLOR if there is a big demand. I just got a Clymer manual that covers XL Sportsters from 1959 to 1985... that's only 26 years, but there are 37 separate wiring diagrams in the back!!!

The diagrams are all somewhat similar in function, BUT there are many, many variations on the wiring routing, switches, and wire-loom color designations.

Cheers,
BLIGHT
Old 2nd September 2009
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLIGHT View Post
Oh, by the way... PM me if any of you XLCR owners want a PDF image of the diagrams...
Another way is to open a SkyDrive account, upload the files there, and post a link in your message. Same idea as using PhotoBucket for pics and YouTube for vids.
Old 2nd September 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
1979ironhead will become famous soon enough1979ironhead will become famous soon enough1979ironhead will become famous soon enough1979ironhead will become famous soon enough1979ironhead will become famous soon enough1979ironhead will become famous soon enough1979ironhead will become famous soon enough1979ironhead will become famous soon enough

Interesting as I am re-wiring my bike at the moment. I have a question for you electrical types. On the turn signal circuit (orange wire) there is a diode illustrated but I cannot find a part number for this, any idea where I get one? Thanks.
Old 2nd September 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
nativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nice

Harley has them (at least the one near me) that's where I bought mine.
It was missing when I bought it. Part# 74563-65 is for the diode it's self. That should be enough to get a dealership to find one. They sell it as a unit with wires and connectors soldered onto it already and it even had the old wire protectant sleeve on each side! The diode's are hard to read but I think that they say 100h on them.
nativebroncofan
Old 2nd September 2009
Drag Race Champion

Hey guys, here's the SkyDrive (thanks Mick!) links to the PDF files I already had a Windows Live account, but didn't know they give you 25gb of online storage....that's pretty nice! (You don't need an account to access them, since I set them up as 'Public' files)

https://cid-cc712b00a0b9df64.skydriv...0Sheet%201.pdf
https://cid-cc712b00a0b9df64.skydriv...0Sheet%202.pdf

Click the "Download" button and download each PDF. For some reason, the server has decided to add an underscore at the beginning and end of the file name. After you download the files, just right click them in Windows Explorer and select Rename.... you can delete these pesky underscores and launch the pdf's directly!

Oh, and I believe the diode referred to above is indeed in the wiring harness (inline like a fuse) If all else fails, you should be able to get one at Radio Shack, just make sure it can handle the amps, prolly around 5A or so, and be sure to solder it in the right direction or it will cause problems.

Cheers!
BLIGHT
Know Thy Hog