The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Get Lowered
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs
Energy One Clutches

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
casey jones is on a distinguished roadcasey jones is on a distinguished road
Default Wont go over 65!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 91 883 stock except for a K&N filter and V&H pipes. All of a sudden it wont run over 65 mph. It seems like only 1/4 of the trottle is working. Anything over that it just seems to bog down. Could it be the slider in the carb stuck, or the diapham maybe? HELP Stuck in the slow lane
Old 2nd September 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
tensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of light

sounds like its starving for fuel. chect petcock filter then go inside the carb
Old 2nd September 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 77
dr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud of

I agree sounds like a fuel flow issue pull the fuel line and check for flow if its not a solid stream check your petcock and then the filter. If you have good flow time to clean the carb
Old 2nd September 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
ron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really nice

Sounds like main jet is stopped up, running on pilot jet. When throttle opens too far, mixture goes lean because pilot can't supply enough fuel.
Old 3rd September 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
casey jones is on a distinguished roadcasey jones is on a distinguished road

I found it. The diapham has a small crack in it. Looks like whoever put it in got a small wrinkle in it and it just wore a hole in it. Without that working properly the slider will not move and was staving for air. Thanks again for the input. Casey
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd September 2009
The crazy one...

Sportster/Buell Model: rigid 88" highly modified
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: iforgot
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80's
Other Motorcycle Model: crs
Other Motorcycle Year: 80's
wilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey jones View Post
I found it. The diapham has a small crack in it. Looks like whoever put it in got a small wrinkle in it and it just wore a hole in it. Without that working properly the slider will not move and was staving for air. Thanks again for the input. Casey
Glad you found it! Drop in a new piece and ride on.

It is now "later" than it has ever been!