The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Durockrolly (56), xlch1973 (52), ehenry (50), 100thHugger (49), evobrian (47), jethrosurfs (42), Chris B. (38), Ebmomma (38)
NHRS Performance
Energy One Clutches
RYCA Motors
Fix My Hog

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th September 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH, restored
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH, period hotrod basket
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1961
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDXT (T-sport)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
joestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the rough
Default Joestuff's 62 XLCH on the road again.

Some new picts for the 62, restoration phase two is done. Got her back on the road today and she runs/rides like a champ. I'll get some better picts after she has a bath.

Improvements over the summer include...
Correct Horn
Correct 6v electrical system
Correct two bung gas tank
Numerous parts with fresh cad or parker finish
Goodyear grasshoppers, oem rear wheel, shrader valves.
OEM cylinders and rocker boxes installed
Magneto rebuilt and Chicago lock and key installed(thanks Morris Mags)
Too much hardware to list replaced with correct 1038 CP bolts.

That is a repop seat on there now, for the life of me I cannot prove that 61 thru 67 XLCH's ever came with that style seat from the factory. No factory picts ever show it, and "The legend Begins" does not show it as an options. So I do have a correct pre-64 white buddy seat to put on it for AMCA judging. Also, the correct kicker rubber will be installed for the judges to see at Jefferson this year. It judged 83 1/4 points last year, everything on that list has been addressed except for the rear fender(which is a later coil indent having fender, at a 3 point loss, if you have a fender, please let me know).

Old 6th September 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Harley-Davidson
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTCU (Geezer Glide)
72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice

Very, Very nice!!!!!!

RIP: Eli
Old 6th September 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
BuckIRyder has disabled reputation

SWEEEET! And my favorite color red!!!
Old 6th September 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 61 62 64 65 68 70 78
Moon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to all

Man, that is nice. I am aware of the great seat debate. At any rate, it was available as a factory accessory for those years and is in the catalogs. I have heard different opinions on judging policy, but how can they penalize you for a correct accessory?

The picture is unclear--did you switch the grips.

Which bars are those (and how do you like them)?

The solo has a lot more panache than the dual seat. IMHO, the dual looks a little odd with the high pipe.

How did you get rid of the polish on the covers?

When everything is as it was in my childhood

Violent, vivid, and of infinite possiblilty:

That the sun and moon broke over my head.--Richard Eberhart
Old 6th September 2009

Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really nice

Joe,

I am looking at the my Legends book now as I look at your pictures, beautiful job! I assume those are the Rhinebeck rocker boxes? also, didn't they run a bicycle style kicker pedal in 62? as far as the seat I believe the Buddy seat and the solo were within spec back then.
the Bike is as Sweet as an early XLCH gets, please try for Rhinebeck 2010.
Monte
Know Thy Hog

Old 6th September 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH, restored
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH, period hotrod basket
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1961
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDXT (T-sport)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
joestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the rough

Moon Wolf, yes, I switched the grips and parkered the kickstand. Our buddy in FL cad plated shifter, brake levers, ect. I did alot of little details not really obvious in the pict. The old dude repop shrader valves are cool, they just thread on over a metal valve stem.

I also wonder about the judging policy for accessories.
The handbook says
"4. Accessories, including sidecar, do not add or subtract unless they detract from the appearance of the machine as it represents the year and model. "

No guidance is provided for an accessory that replaces an original part, so I assume they could not(and should not) ding one for the solo seat. But as it is not come from the factory with that seat, a judge could try. I would not if I was judging a bike. As that seat is a repop, they might try and ding me for that, so right before judging I'll drop on the white seat and save any argument. I agree the buddy seat does look weird with the high pipe. Some have said alot of bikes where ordered with a buddy seat and high pipe, I assume because the buddy seat allowed more body english to be applied when racing.

Monty got me those rocker boxes at Rhinebeck. Thanks again Monty. Also, as I know own a pickup, I can trailer queen her up to Oley or Rhinebeck with ease, not that I'm afraid to ride that far or 40yo tires...not.

The H model had the bicycle style kicker pedal, the CH the shaft with rubber in it style. I think this was to increase the "Manly-ness" of the CH, as any kickback is concentrated into the arch of ones foot :-)
Old 6th September 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1966
RRB is on a distinguished roadRRB is on a distinguished roadRRB is on a distinguished roadRRB is on a distinguished roadRRB is on a distinguished road

Gorgeous bike!
Old 6th September 2009
Master Custom Bike Builder

GA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Wolf View Post
Man, that is nice. I am aware of the great seat debate. At any rate, it was available as a factory accessory for those years and is in the catalogs. I have heard different opinions on judging policy, but how can they penalize you for a correct accessory?
FWIW, my brothers '63 CH that I first saw in '67/8 or so, has a white solo seat and pillion pad, with matching grips. It originally was hi-fi purple, now long gone. I always assumed the seat was what it came with from the factory/dealer, but he may have added it between '63 and '68.
Old 6th September 2009
Master Custom Bike Builder

GA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of light

Joe - what kind of tires are those? From the side, they bear a resemblance to Goodyear Grasshoppers...
Old 6th September 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 61 62 64 65 68 70 78
Moon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_Ironhead View Post
Joe - what kind of tires are those? From the side, they bear a resemblance to Goodyear Grasshoppers...
Hence is comment about riding on forty-year-old tires.
Know Thy Hog