The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
Biltwell
Motor Stage
Lowbrow Customs
Lowbrow Customs

Sky Smith Insurance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th August 2011
outside the box racing

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1350 XLSR
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Turbo 1350 XLDS project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883->1330 dragster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadz View Post
I also believe that this is something everyone should read: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

It's how I break in my engines and I can honestly say I notice a huge difference in performance and reliability.

I noticed first hand and with my own 4 eyes the difference.

This guy seems like he might be on to something

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpusher View Post
+1 to the builders disagreeing with toadz with eloquence and data.

sorry toadz, you are just wrong.

hammering (your own) metal that just met with heat and pressure is just foolish.

to advise others to do so is mean and foolish.
That guy got to second guessing himself and fell for that mototune bullshit.

the autopsy following a mototune fast&hard street breakin is here

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T. S. Eliot

TGB #8
#1999 1350 APS-PBG AMA/USFRA current
Old 12th August 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
DonWoh is an unknown quantity at this point

404 Not Found, on OP Link, bummer and I wanted to see it.
Old 12th August 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200c
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: dyna fxdb
Other Motorcycle Year: 2010
Krmilo has a spectacular aura aboutKrmilo has a spectacular aura aboutKrmilo has a spectacular aura aboutKrmilo has a spectacular aura aboutKrmilo has a spectacular aura aboutKrmilo has a spectacular aura aboutKrmilo has a spectacular aura aboutKrmilo has a spectacular aura aboutKrmilo has a spectacular aura about

How about here:

http://www.axtellsales.com/files/PDF.../Ring-Seal.pdf
Old 29th December 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
DonChicago48 is just really niceDonChicago48 is just really niceDonChicago48 is just really niceDonChicago48 is just really niceDonChicago48 is just really niceDonChicago48 is just really niceDonChicago48 is just really niceDonChicago48 is just really niceDonChicago48 is just really niceDonChicago48 is just really niceDonChicago48 is just really nice

Way back in 1970, I worked at a racing engine builder called Motor Sport Research. We developed a cylinder honing technique for small-block Chevies that involoved using a deck-plate with torqued head bolts and maintaining block at elevated temperatures. It helped reduce taper and out of round conditions that affected ring seal at high RPM. The Sunnen Honing machine was excellent at controlling cylinder dimensions within specs. It was also very accurate at producing fine micro-inch finishes.
We experimented with a variety of piston rings, including Dykes style rings and head-land rings. Some had moly-filled sealing faces. We did a lot of work on break-in techniques because race engines didn't spend much time being babied. I even recall one tech who tried using Bon Ami, a form of fine scouring powder, to help seat rings (unsuccessfully).
I bet temperature control during break-in is even more important on air-cooled V-twin engines than on liquid-colled engines.

The 9 scariest words in the English language: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Old 29th December 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
John Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to beholdJohn Harper is a splendid one to behold

Bon Ami was used on the early short block/OHV V8's, poured down the carb to rough up the cylinder walls and reduce oil consumption. That's what I have always heard.

John
Know Thy Hog

Old 29th December 2012
outside the box racing

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1350 XLSR
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Turbo 1350 XLDS project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883->1330 dragster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

wow. did i really say that? (see above)....

i am not going to throw any more punches in this holy war because i have already proven how little i knew (know) but my top ends are now broken in within an hour (not counting time in front of the fan between flights around the block) using quikseat by totalseal and the one thing i don't have problems with is ring seal or ring/piston/cylinderwall damage. last 4 builds have come apart looking almost as good as they did going together (top end, anyway).

that's just me. i am lucky to have a bunch of parts and i ain't afraid to break em trying things so make sure you take anything i say with a grain of salt.

i am absolutely not saying that there is anything wrong with the more common lughtly lubed, slow and easy break in, especially when the vendor you just paid big bucks to suggests it. they are who you should listen to if you want warrantee and support, but it's not the only way to skin that cat. if i knew then what i think i know now i would have just kept my mouth shut. wait, we all know that's not true, right?
Old 16th June 2013
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
yozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadz View Post
Sorry to say but I have to take someone's word with a grain of salt who sells pistons and rings. Poor break-in would surely get them better business as sooner down the road they will need to be back for a rebuild.

[/I]"
Ha ha I know its old but made me laugh , because everyone wants to buy parts with a rep of failure... F'ing Clown. I was put off the cheap kieth black pistons I see on eBay after reading they knick named Ka Boom ect. I'd rather get something with a good rep

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Old 16th June 2013
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
yozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to beholdyozer13 is a splendid one to behold

So it's better business to have it work and work well as they tell there friends 100k miles later this kit is ace go buy one now ... And not tell people 10 miles later it's poo it went pop. I certainly wouldn't go back and buy another. Lol

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Old 12th November 2013
Motor-Psyco-rider

Sportster/Buell Model: xlc 883/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 89
Other Motorcycle Model: jon way 250
Other Motorcycle Year: 13
rider61 has much to be proud ofrider61 has much to be proud ofrider61 has much to be proud ofrider61 has much to be proud ofrider61 has much to be proud ofrider61 has much to be proud ofrider61 has much to be proud ofrider61 has much to be proud ofrider61 has much to be proud ofrider61 has much to be proud ofrider61 has much to be proud of

Toad has an opinion about this matter and is entitled to it . I think that he can voice it if he wants . It is Americia. He has the right to do as he sees fit to do. I was trained to do things a different way and will stick to them. If a I buy a part and they recomend I do this I will try to follow it as close as I can. I trust them. I would not want a pissed off coustomer after me for doing what was asked of me. It is possible that Toad has trust issues.
Old 12th November 2013
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 xl sportster custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 03
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 low sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 06
Bob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to all

you should follow break in instructions this allways turns to a big shit fest , break you engin in to ring manufacturing and as for micro welding bla bla its detonation thats it. I broke mine into total seals recommondation and good to go no oil barfing out of my air breathere yet at over 500 miles so fare tryed the hd way and glazed a set of rings as for warranty on that shhesh what ever . good luck getting anyone to cover that , how i brock mine in this time way diffrent gaped my rings 16 and 16 set to total seal specs fired the bike looked for leaks didnt see any hoped on and took it out run her up to road speeds and dont lug it, but very the speed a lot did that for a 100 miles and change oil and filthere . so morale of the story is unless you are running hd pistonts and rings and jugs you might not be breaking your engin in right but to each there own .and if you break it in to hd specs and it works for you good. It dint work for me .and as for the moto tune way it does work .
Know Thy Hog