The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
texrex (62), jjluvstoride (49), njstoehr (38), tacho75xlh (35), 80ironhead80 (25)
Licks Holiday
Energy One Clutches
RYCA Motors
Foxcreek Leather

Lickscycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st April 2005
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Kev12012 has disabled reputation
Default when to shift???

I know that this has probably been answered a thousand times but I am going to ask it again anyways???? can anybody out there that has a tach on their bike tell me about what rpm's to shift???? and about what rpm's you should be on the highway at about 70???? I am sort of new to the whole harley thing.... after riding high rpm jap bikes it is a big difference to me.... by the way I have an 883-1200 with the 883 front sprocket still in...
Old 21st April 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: Electraglide classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
Y2K has disabled reputation

Shift when it feels good lol.Harleys pull well from about 2500rpm til around 4500rpm in stock form.That's the beauty of the H/D motors wonderfull linear torque curve.Just don't lug it down till it jerks or wind it out past where it's still pulling well.
Y2K
Old 21st April 2005
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

You can go to http://people.montana.com/~bowman/Sp.../SpeedCalc.htm for a rpm calculator for early and late (pre '04) 883's, 1200's and more.

When to shift depends on how your 883/1200 conversion was built and how you like to ride. I'm assuming you mean at what rpm to shift when racing??? IF so, then we would need more information on what has been done to your engine to determine a close estimate. OR a dyno sheet.

If you have an '04 or up bike, then you can use this rpm calculator http://www.geocities.com/z_design_st...ion_z28_6.html and just plug in the correct information. In your case it would be a 150/80/16 tire, set transmission ratio's to 1:1, and set rear gear ratio to 4.071:1 and that will give you 5th gear rpms at any speed.

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
Screamin' Eagle 10:1 pistons
Stage 2 883 heads
Screamin' Eagle .497" cams
Screamin' Eagle Mikuni HSR42
Thunderheader
Forcewinder
Old 23rd April 2005
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
thereisnospoon is an unknown quantity at this point

just cruising I'll shift at 1800 to 2200 depending on gear... probably short shifting compared to a lot of people. any lower and it sounds like the rod bearings are being beaten flat.
Old 24th April 2005
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

OK, this threads been beaten to death....lol

When you should you shift? When it sounds like somethings gonna break apart if you don't!

lol

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Know Thy Hog

Old 24th April 2005
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
Other Motorcycle Model: Elecectra Glide Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2010
Chuck is an unknown quantity at this point

Most probably shift in the high twos to low threes. Nice flat stretches if you want to knock down the vibes, noise and go easy on gas you can cruies in the twos.
Old 24th April 2005
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
TechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of lightTechRep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev12012
I know that this has probably been answered a thousand times but I am going to ask it again anyways???? can anybody out there that has a tach on their bike tell me about what rpm's to shift???? and about what rpm's you should be on the highway at about 70???? I am sort of new to the whole harley thing.... after riding high rpm jap bikes it is a big difference to me.... by the way I have an 883-1200 with the 883 front sprocket still in...
You should be at about 3500 RPM at 65 MPH.
Old 24th April 2005
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
Other Motorcycle Model: Elecectra Glide Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2010
Chuck is an unknown quantity at this point

"and about what rpm's you should be on the highway at about 70????"

Well at 70 it doesn't really matter. It's whatever it is in 5th gear, that is if your not racing. I can't remember what mine is cruising at 70 but someone will let you know. Do a search too, there is plenty here and online.