The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
Gennyred (64), Spatialanomaly (60), ColinB (54), HD1000XL (49), tub531
Biltwell
Fix My Hog
S&S Cycle
Energy One Clutches

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th September 2009
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2008-2014 Owners Please Read - Mistake in FSM (Primary Chain Inspection Cover Screws)

2008-2011 Sportster Owners Please Read - Mistake in FSM and Owner's Manual Torque Values

There have been at least three members now that have wrecked their primary covers due to a mistake in the Factory Service Manual (FSM) that fellow members here have uncovered. The FSM lists the incorrect torque in the 2008, 2009, and 2010 for the Primary Inspection Cover Screw. The correct torque value for the Primary Inspection Cover Screw is 40-60 in-lbs. The FSM for these years lists it significantly higher causing the casting to break and crumble.

(picture from MindfulRider)

The three members that have brought this to the forefront are Kirk The Jerk, MindfulRider, and 09 blackthunder (click on their names for each of their individual stories).

I would strongly urge you to make a note in your FSM and Owner's Manuals, to prevent this from happening to you. As of right now, one of the primary covers was covered under warranty, one was not, and the other is pending. But, save yourself the headache and put a note in the Manuals - NOW!

The correct torque value for the Primary Inspection Cover Screw is 40-60 in-lbs

Thanks to Member Tater to pointing out that the 2009 Owner's Manuals has incorrect information as well.

2008 Owner's Manual

Manual with print date of 06/07 has correct values (pg 99, see here)

2008 FSM's -
  • Within the written Instructions (Section 1.9, pg 1-24), see here.
  • Torque Values (Page XV) - This has one correct value for "Primary Chain Inspection Cover screw", but the incorrect value for "Primary Chain Inspection Cover", see here.
Note - the Quick Reference chart IS correct, pg 1-8
Print date of confirmed FSM's 08/07 and 04/08.
(Pics courtesy of SportyTrace)

2009 FSM's
  • Torque Chart at begining of section (Page 1-2) - Listed in 2 places (one below the other), see here.
  • Table 1-4 Quick Reference chart (Page 1-11), see here.
  • Within the written Instructions (Page 1-40), see here.
  • Torque Values listing at end of book (Page XXII) - Listed twice again.
Print date - 01/09
Print date - 06/08
(Pics and info courtesy of Kirk)

2009 Owner's Manual
Print date 10/08 Page 105
Print date ??/?? Page 107 (reported by Tater, here)

2010 FSM's
I have no idea where it is listed in the 2010 book but probably similar to the above, I'll update this as I find out.

2011 FSM's
  • page 1-2 fastener torque table
  • Page 1-11 table 1-5 Quick ref maintenance chart
  • Page 1-35 step 5 of primary chain adjustment
  • Page 5-1 fastener torque table

The correct torque value for the Primary Inspection Cover Screw is 40-60 in-lbs

For reference, showing the correct values here are pages from my 2007 books:
2007 Sportster Owner's Manual, Pg 91
2007 Sportster Service Manual, Pg 1-7
2007 Sportster Service Manual, Pg 1-38

Sorry to have such a strong and alarming thread. But, everyone around here (including myself) tends to beat into all the noobs - "RTFM", "get the FSM", "don't work on the bike until you have the FSM", etc... Many folks here aren't full time mechanics. Many of us aren't even good shade tree mechanics. We just play one on the internet! But, as less experienced wrench monkeys we tend to depend on the FSM. A bit of a bible if you will. This error on MoCo's part has caused at the very least a bit of down time for three XLF Members. Possibly others that haven't spoken up.

Please, if you have more information or a similar story, please share. As I get more complete information about which pages in the books need to be updated I'll have this original post updated. If you want to post this on other forums, please link to this post as I will be updating as I get more information. Thanks.

*Please note - this is not officially recognized by Harley MoCo! But, I wanted to let other members of the forum know about it, to hopefully avoid the troubles these guys went through.*

Last edited by Folkie; 23rd December 2011 at 09:06..
Old 18th September 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 09
Tater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to all

Thanks Dan,
What about the torque on the Clutch Inspection Cover Screws, 84-108 in. lbs. seems strong to me on those little fellows... I did however tighten mine after the fluid change to 80 in. lbs. but sort of closed my eyes on the last few in. lbs. of torque... Darned if I ain't about tempted to go back to my old method of just feel good and quit...lol...
Thanks and have a good one...Tater...
Viking Shock Cutout Saddlebags, Mustang Seat, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, SuperBrace...
Old 18th September 2009
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
What about the torque on the Clutch Inspection Cover Screws, 84-108 in. lbs. seems strong to me on those little fellows...
I'm not an expert on what gets torqued to what. I just know from the three threads I mentioned above, it was agreed upon the manual is wrong. My 2007 manual has the same spec for the Clutch Inspection cover (ie. Derby) as your manual 84-108.

I think we best keep this thread on track...if we want to start comparing torque values we could start another thread. I'd like to keep this about the one we KNOW is wrong and get the correct information put out here. I think with three confirmed cases of wrecked cases we'll see more of this if we don't get the word out.

(And I openly admit...I don't use a torque wrench for these screws )
Old 18th September 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
flashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to behold

WOW, Thanks Dan: I'm a firm believer in torqueing and factory provided torque specifications but this makes me stop and think. I'll still torque everything I tighten but I won't look at the specs like they were the gospel.
Thanks for the heads up,
Flash

2009 XL1200N Nightster...SE Heavy Breather>SE SP black slip-ons w/modified Cycle Shack baffles>Speedway Instruments MicroTach+>Super Brace>Kriss headlight modulator. Willie G skulls @ gas cap,derby and timer>Misc. black nut and bolt covers>Garage Leathers solo bag>Mustang Vintage 12.5" solo seat>LED taillights>10.75" RK air shocks>G2 Ergonomics Quick Turn throttle>Power Commander V>Giving 10R12 plugs a try.

76 HP X 79 TQ

Ol' Dirtbeard of the Cracked Craniums MC
Old 18th September 2009
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Use the German Torque Values...

"GoodenTight"

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th September 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: kz750
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
joesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant future

AHHH...GOODENTIGHT....works for me
08 XL883;HAMMER 1250,Heavy breather,Rinehart 2-1, Power Vision,Ebc floating rotor,XR1200 Nissin caliper,1200R Mastery cylinder,RK shocks,1in tank lift,wire tuck,crossroads fork brace,low rise drag bars int.wired,Goodridge Ss line,Chrome valve stem covers, and a few top secret parts..
Old 18th September 2009

Tater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Loose Dan View Post
I think we best keep this thread on track...if we want to start comparing torque values we could start another thread. I'd like to keep this about the one we KNOW is wrong and get the correct information put out here. I think with three confirmed cases of wrecked cases we'll see more of this if we don't get the word out.
(And I openly admit...I don't use a torque wrench for these screws )
Bump
OK-I think you are right-Then also my 09 xl 1200 Owners Manual (pg. 107) lists the same so it needs to be changed to 40-60 in. lbs. also...
Have a good one...Tater...
Old 18th September 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddTigger View Post
Use the German Torque Values...
"GoodenTight"
[Bump]
Ha,ha, thats a Gooden ReddTrigger...
BTW, 40-60 in. lbs. also = 4.5-6.8 Nm...
Have a good one...Tater...
Old 18th September 2009
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

How about notifying HD, so they can release a correction.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 18th September 2009
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
09 blackthunder will become famous soon enough09 blackthunder will become famous soon enough09 blackthunder will become famous soon enough09 blackthunder will become famous soon enough09 blackthunder will become famous soon enough09 blackthunder will become famous soon enough

I'm going to call the warranty guy when the dealer I deal with opens up today and bring this up to him. I'm sure because of the gasket change is why is torque spec went up. Thats stupid though. The gasket isn't even a 1/16th of an inch bigger and to increase the specs that much more is a problem especially when they have been the same for awhile. What about the 2003 and older manuals were they 40-60 in lbs as well or were they different. I know the inspection is different on those. Like the guy said to me is that it looked like I went in at an angle, no thats not the problem it's the aluminum starting to crumble and then the screw starts to thread sideways because those threads that start the process or leaving contact.
Know Thy Hog