The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Accessories
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Accessories Accessory problems, advice, and/or how tos (Saddle Bags, Sissy Bars, Crash bars, Mirrors, etc

Members Birthdays
Superbrace
883 Sportster
NRHS Performance Long 2
Foxcreek Leather

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd April 2005
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
nardo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone use a battery tender?

Just installed a Vector brand battery charger. (What else you gonna do on a Saturday with a forecast of possibly 6 to 12 inches of snow by tomorrow morning. And it was sunny and 80 degrees just 3 days ago!) Cost $16.97 at Wal Mart versus Harleys Battery Tender Jr. at $39.95. Anyone care to comment on either the Vector or the Battery Tender Jr.? Do you feel it has extended the life of your battery? Any problems you may have had. Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah.
Man, its snowing sideways right now! To quote Wendy The Retard from the Howard Stern Show "I'm going nuts, Baby!"
Old 23rd April 2005
Master Bike Builder

Kath has a spectacular aura aboutKath has a spectacular aura aboutKath has a spectacular aura aboutKath has a spectacular aura aboutKath has a spectacular aura aboutKath has a spectacular aura aboutKath has a spectacular aura aboutKath has a spectacular aura aboutKath has a spectacular aura aboutKath has a spectacular aura aboutKath has a spectacular aura about

I have a battery tender jr. I only use it if the bike's going to be sitting for an extended period of time, like during the winter. This past winter, though, I never had to use it because we managed to get out and ride at least once a month with a mild day.
Old 23rd April 2005
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Shark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the rough

Have H-D brand. Works great over winter, but haven't used it "routinely" since it's such a PITA to remove the battery (2004 1220R)...
Old 23rd April 2005
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200C
Wardog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Doctor
Have H-D brand. Works great over winter, but haven't used it "routinely" since it's such a PITA to remove the battery (2004 1220R)...
If your battery tender came with the pig tail just install it on the batter terminals and when you need to hook it up just pull it out from the left side cover and hook it up. That is what I do becasue it is a b to take the battery out.
Old 23rd April 2005
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Shark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the roughShark Doctor is a jewel in the rough

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Never thought of that (Duh!). Any fear of shorting (via water, etc., or is that not likely since the plugs are polarity-protected?)

Good suggestions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardog
If your battery tender came with the pig tail just install it on the batter terminals and when you need to hook it up just pull it out from the left side cover and hook it up. That is what I do becasue it is a b to take the battery out.
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd April 2005
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
Mark914 has disabled reputation

I've been using a battery tender for a couple of years on my marine batteries. Works great. I would get the model that de-sulfates the battery plates also. Makes the battery last longer.
Old 23rd April 2005
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
nardo is an unknown quantity at this point

The Vector also has the pigtail. Hangs just under the seat and is simple to get at when plugging in. I see no need to use it during the riding season. Bought it mainly to hook up during the winter. On the Corbins Ride On TV show a couple weeks back they did a segment on the Battery Tender. They claim that by keeping your battery at full charge you can considerably extend the life of your battery.

Kath, could you please turn your dancing girl around so I can see who I'm dancing with?
"OUCH" Wife just smacked me in the head!
Old 23rd April 2005
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDX
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
SamIam is an unknown quantity at this point

I use the HD battery tender junior which comes with a little kit (pig tail) for older bikes (and has a cap to seal off the connection when not in use). My '05 came with it pre installed (got to have it with the alarm which sucks juice even when it's not 'on'...it's actually always on) It has a green LED when in maintain mode and red when it's charging. Works well so far.
Old 24th April 2005
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
Other Motorcycle Model: Elecectra Glide Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2010
Chuck is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nardo
Just installed a Vector brand battery charger. (What else you gonna do on a Saturday with a forecast of possibly 6 to 12 inches of snow by tomorrow morning. And it was sunny and 80 degrees just 3 days ago!) Cost $16.97 at Wal Mart versus Harleys Battery Tender Jr. at $39.95. Anyone care to comment on either the Vector or the Battery Tender Jr.? Do you feel it has extended the life of your battery? Any problems you may have had. Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah.
Man, its snowing sideways right now! To quote Wendy The Retard from the Howard Stern Show "I'm going nuts, Baby!"

Sounds like you bought a charger. A tender or float charger is something totally different. You can get them at auto stores for about 28 bucks.
Old 24th April 2005
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

The Battery Tender, Battery Minder, and other well known brands are "automatic" battery chargers. They test as they charge and go into a maintenance mode when the battery is fully charged.

The regular battery tender [1.25 amps] cost about $100.00 here. The same one in the USA usually cost about $35.00 or less. Canadian tire has their own brand for about $40.00.

At $16.95 are you sure it is automatic? If not it could overcharge the battery if left connected for too long.

I leave mine attached every night so it is fully charged for that morning startup. Especially important in the very cold early spring and late fall.
Know Thy Hog