The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs
Superbrace.com
Licks Holiday

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd September 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
dsk1000 is on a distinguished roaddsk1000 is on a distinguished road
Default Restoration - Paint or Powder Coat

So, I'm soliciting opinions on whether to paint or powdercoat a 1975 XLCH frame for a restoration.

I believe some feel that since powder coating was not used in 1975, the frame should be painted. However, I believe frames then were coated using "stove enameling" which I believe is rare to find. So, painting with wouldn't be all that authentic either? Perhaps someone knows what process was used to paint these frames.

I have been told that many credible restorers are powder coating old frames.

All opinions welcome. Thanks.

Doug
Old 23rd September 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
tensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of light

i think powder coat is somewhat more durable but theres no real touch up, where as painted could be touched up after fitting the motor and such and look good.

my .02
Old 23rd September 2009
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: Norton + BMW R1200C
meanmechanic is on a distinguished roadmeanmechanic is on a distinguished roadmeanmechanic is on a distinguished roadmeanmechanic is on a distinguished road

How much of a restoration is this? If it's a true resto. then it's paint. If it's a refurbish for yourself, powdercoat is the way to go.
Old 23rd September 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
JimInNY is on a distinguished roadJimInNY is on a distinguished road

Anything I ever owned that was powder coated eventually rusted under the coating, like my Dodge truck bumpers. I wouldn't powder coat anything, ever. I used epoxy urethane on my frame 9 years ago and it still looks like new.
Old 23rd September 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1960
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1959
Magneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to beholdMagneto Sportster is a splendid one to behold

if you are restoring the whole bike to original condition, then paint it. a good enamel will give you a finish close to the original. Joestuff sprayed his '62 with a high quality enamel from a spray can and it looks pretty darn good.

if by restore you really mean refurbishing, then do whichever you prefer.
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd September 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInNY View Post
Anything I ever owned that was powder coated eventually rusted under the coating, like my Dodge truck bumpers. I wouldn't powder coat anything, ever. I used epoxy urethane on my frame 9 years ago and it still looks like new.
+1 on this! I can't tell you how many things I've worked on that were powdercoated and had the coating peeling off due to corrosion underneath. I'll never powdercoat anything I own. High quality urethane paint is the way to go.

Eric
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 23rd September 2009
Biker

dsk1000 is on a distinguished roaddsk1000 is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I am shooting for restoration. If anything must fall short of a full restoration for now, I want my options open to complete it in the future. Hence, the decision on the frame coating.

Does anyone have any paint recommendations for an industrial polyurethane?
Old 23rd September 2009
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 93 Cubic Inch XLH
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1968
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Limited
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
fdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nice

Well I guess if your going for a 100 point restoration your going to have to paint it. I think for the fellow members whose powder coating peeled it was probably bad preparation by the coater. The motor company frames are all powder coated these days so it's safe to say that if it's done right it will last.

Here is a picture of my '75 XLH frame which I think came out beautiful after powder coating.
93 Cubic Inches..3.635 Bore x 4.50 Stroke...Baisley Roller Rockers...Dual Plug Heads Ported With XLR Valves...Chrome Moly Pushrods...Andrews AX Grind Cams .550 Lift...Venolia Pistons...Total Seal Gapless Rings...Balanced S&S Rods & Flywheels...Blitz Steel Barrels...Billet Oil Pump...K&N O2 Sensors...S&S Super E Carb...Crane Fireball Multi Spark Ignition...All Andrews Trans Gears & Shafts...Strociek Billet Trap Door...Barnett Kevlar Wet/Dry Clutch...Motorsport Rear Motor Mount...High Torque Starter...100 Plus HP
Old 23rd September 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 61 62 64 65 68 70 78
Moon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to all

Who are these reputable restorers? If you are going to restore the bike, paint it--period. In fact, I've spoken recently with two AMCA judges who say that they are going to start docking points for base coat-clear coat. I would go one of two ways. If your painter is doing it, go with a single stage urethane, 80% gloss on the frame. If you're doing it yourself (highly recommended) buy a can of good black epoxy paint. A lot of top shelf restorers actually prefer the spray can method (frames only) because they are so easy to retouch.

As 64xlh mentioned, take a gander at Joestuff's gorgeous 62 high-point restoration. His frame paint job came out of a poof can, and it looks great.

When everything is as it was in my childhood

Violent, vivid, and of infinite possiblilty:

That the sun and moon broke over my head.--Richard Eberhart
Old 23rd September 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Other Motorcycle Model: Springer Softtail
Other Motorcycle Year: 89'
1976 XL is on a distinguished road1976 XL is on a distinguished road

My frame was powder-coated when I bought it. It is very durable, but I think you will have to tap all threaded holes, and make sure your grounds make contact to the frame. When I get chips in mine,I touch it up with enamel paint.
Know Thy Hog