The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Members Birthdays
go2fast (61), SixMilesFromHell (56), thespis (56), julian (52), chopperdave (50), shawn4057 (42), KC_Sporty_Gal (40), david04883 (32)
Ironworks Magazine
S&S Cycle
Ironworks Magazine
S&S Cycle

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd May 2007
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Wizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud of
Default Dunlop D404s are absolute shiat!

I bought a pair of D404 tires for the sporty last summer. My local indy had them in stock, and according to Dunlop the only real difference between them and the stock Dunlops is load capacity.

Well, they are absolute crap!

Absolutely noexistant wet traction, not a thrd as good as the worn out stock Dunlops they replaced. The D404s almost cost me my life on the freeway Saturday, i won't go into details, but will say that having your back tire break loose in a construction zone at 60MPH with a semi on you fender is f**king frightening!

Only 3000 miles and the wear bars are showing on the rear!

I never burn out, and I don't chirp when I down shift, this is ridiculous.

I ordered a set of Metezelers yesterday, they should arrive Thursday. Man, I hope they're as good as everyone says.
Old 23rd May 2007
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Wizzard.....

I'm waiting for the post "I just got my new Metzelers and they're FRIGGIN great"

I have been a proponent for the Metz's for a long time, (even before I was riding) Something about a company that only makes motorcycle tyres (tires) makes me all warm and fuzzy inside..

Did you upgrade the sizes any, or just stock replacement?

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 23rd May 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Black anniversary XL1200
shameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to allshameless is a name known to all

My Dunlops are 451s (I think) and they are crap as well. They were new when I bought the bike and the rear is just about slick in the middle now. I'm just now comming up on 3k miles. Best I can tell they are really sticky in the curves but they sure didn't last long.
Old 23rd May 2007
Banned

Wizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud ofWizzard Of Odds has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddTigger View Post
Wizzard.....

I'm waiting for the post "I just got my new Metzelers and they're FRIGGIN great"

I have been a proponent for the Metz's for a long time, (even before I was riding) Something about a company that only makes motorcycle tyres (tires) makes me all warm and fuzzy inside..

Did you upgrade the sizes any, or just stock replacement?
Did the 140/90HB16 in the rear and the 90/90H-21 front. I'm hoping to add a little contact patch, as well as fill the front fender a bit better.

I know the ME880s will be better, but it was a little hard to justify pulling off a new looking front tire.
Old 23rd May 2007
Red Beard Cycles

ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard Of Odds View Post
Did the 140/90HB16 in the rear and the 90/90H-21 front. I'm hoping to add a little contact patch, as well as fill the front fender a bit better.

I know the ME880s will be better, but it was a little hard to justify pulling off a new looking front tire.

I know the feeling, When I bought my bike the front tire was new(er) and the rear was good. Thankfully (?) I grabbed a nail and HAD to replace the rear. I did so over 7,000 miles ago and it's still meaty as all get out.

A couple of weeks ago my front tire (great tread life left) was cracking on the sidewalls. I decided to replace with the 110 Metzeler ( I have 19" rims)

Now that I Have matching rubber the bike is very stable, handles turns with ease and I feel better. went over a nice bridge grate the other day and NO wobble.. Actually let go of the bars and it tracked straight(Unlike the dunflops
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd May 2007
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddTigger View Post
I know the feeling, When I bought my bike the front tire was new(er) and the rear was good. Thankfully (?) I grabbed a nail and HAD to replace the rear. I did so over 7,000 miles ago and it's still meaty as all get out.

A couple of weeks ago my front tire (great tread life left) was cracking on the sidewalls. I decided to replace with the 110 Metzeler ( I have 19" rims)

Now that I Have matching rubber the bike is very stable, handles turns with ease and I feel better. went over a nice bridge grate the other day and NO wobble.. Actually let go of the bars and it tracked straight(Unlike the dunflops
Glad to hear the good feedback on the Metzs. I ride to Grand Rapids every Friday and about half the ride is ruined by shitty rain grooves, maybe this weekend I can actually enjoy the WHOLE ride down.
Old 23rd May 2007
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Jimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard Of Odds View Post

Do yourself a favor and cancell your current order and get 880's....
Best F'n tire around. Riding is what it's all about and 880's fill the bill.
Don't go for Show........Go for GO (and safety).....
Blue Loctite is your Friend
Old 23rd May 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 (traded)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC Super Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Gary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shameless View Post
My Dunlops are 451s (I think) and they are crap as well. They were new when I bought the bike and the rear is just about slick in the middle now. I'm just now comming up on 3k miles. Best I can tell they are really sticky in the curves but they sure didn't last long.
I've got 4500 miles on my bike now and the OEM rubber still looks like new. What am I doing wrong?
Old 23rd May 2007
Red Beard Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo999 View Post
Do yourself a favor and cancell your current order and get 880's....
Best F'n tire around. Riding is what it's all about and 880's fill the bill.
Don't go for Show........Go for GO (and safety).....
jimbo

I was under the impression that he was upgrading to the 880's.

As he stated. he ordered them yesterday.... and that it was hard to justify replacing the front wheel. which I read as he did it.

oh and I agree, The 880's are the best tire around !
Old 23rd May 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

I changed to Metzlers at 7,000 miles, wish I had done it at 7 miles. The Dunlops never worked with any tire pressure. With the Metzlers, I could tell the difference in 3 psi.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Know Thy Hog