The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Biltwell
CV Performance
Motor Stage
Energy One Clutches

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st October 2009
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: 97
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200xlc rigid
WhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really nice
Default Crane Cam Hi-4, problem solving solution

I put this up with the title because I know people will come specificaly looking for information about the Cran Cam ignition. Some people know this already, but I'm trying to help people that were in my situation.

For those of you looking for a solution, see the sticky about "Adjusting the VOES"

Now to my story.

I'm running 1200 screaming eagle heads (the lightening style) with an S&S carb, and Accel coil, with a Crane Cam Hi-4 dual fire ignition.

Everything was running good when I was using the stock ignition. But, for my purpose of less wiring, not even performance, just less wires. I went with the Crane Cam.

I've been running the crane for about 2 or 3 months. Around 3rd or 4th gear at part throttle, I had a bunch of detonation/preignition. I could never get the thing tuned. Race mode didn't work, Stock mode didn't work. With or without the VOES it didn't work. I even had the thing turned way below TDC on race mode and at TDC for VOES mode. Same thing.

Even used a huge giant fat jet in the Carb.

In all 8 years of riding, and all the people I've talked to, no one has ever mentioned doing this, or even needing to do this.

I didn't know about adjusting the VOES! As soon as I found out about it, I went and adjusted it. I'm around 6-7 inches of mercury on the switch. (The guage I used wasn't that clear because of the lines and the wide part of the needle covering the actual mark.)

It makes sense, I never thought of it in the same way as the springs in the points ignition. And, it never occured to me that this same vaccuum switch is just like the vaccuum on an old chevy ignition. LOL

All the problems have stopped! No more ping, crackle, or knocks!

So if you're having problems with this thing, try that. Then from there it's just fine tuning the timing to get the optimum pep.
James 3:13
Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him show out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.
Old 1st October 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
bigbluebowtie will become famous soon enoughbigbluebowtie will become famous soon enoughbigbluebowtie will become famous soon enoughbigbluebowtie will become famous soon enoughbigbluebowtie will become famous soon enoughbigbluebowtie will become famous soon enoughbigbluebowtie will become famous soon enoughbigbluebowtie will become famous soon enough

Yeah for problems solved and not created!!!

I just bought one from daytona twin tec because I adjusted mine and broke the diapraghm. Don't do that.

My wife's Sportster is a girl's bike. :)
Old 1st October 2009
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: 97
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200xlc rigid
WhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really nice

LOL, well, I haven't looked to see the damage done to the pistons. Although, I stayed easy as soon as I heard any ping, I rolled back. I know they can handle some, but even a little can be a disaster. Maybe I should've named this thread,,,

"What not to do"

But, yeah man, that drove me absolutely insane!

How'd you break the diaphram?