The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Cruiser Customizing  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Dead Creek Cycles
Superbrace.com
Figure Machine
Figure Machine

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th October 2009
Biker

tribsa1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1200N suspesion

Gentlemen/Ladies,
I'd like to raise (yeah, you read that right) raise the rear suspnsion on my '07, 1200 Nightster. Can anyone tell me what Max length shock I can install before I run into problems.
Thanks in advance for your time.
Sam
Old 5th October 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Low
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
whittlebeast has disabled reputation

At least 13.25" The shock bolts starts hitting the exhaust when any longer.

see http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=142419

AW
traction or wheelie limited acceleration, a sound that just drips testosterone or peace of mind that
everything is as perfect as you know how to make it.

When the racers get done doing the impossible the engineers get a chance to correct the errors in the model.

***My other addiction, running Megasquirt EFI ***
Old 5th October 2009
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

You can certainly go to 13¼", which is the old standard shock length, and is used on HDI Nightsters, with (I believe) the short Nightster fork. The steering will be quite a bit lighter and quicker (more sensitive, less stable in a straight line).
'The green machine'
Old 5th October 2009
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Forum, BTW.
Old 5th October 2009
JESTER Mafia-Hooligan Div

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
BWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Welcome to the Forum, BTW.
Yeh.......

Stuff: YES
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th October 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, welcome.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 5th October 2009
Biker

Whittlebeast, Folkie,
And all the others, thank you for the quick replies and the warm welcome. Much appreciated.
Sam
Old 6th October 2009
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
bighit4u32 is just really nicebighit4u32 is just really nicebighit4u32 is just really nicebighit4u32 is just really nicebighit4u32 is just really nicebighit4u32 is just really nicebighit4u32 is just really nicebighit4u32 is just really nicebighit4u32 is just really nicebighit4u32 is just really nicebighit4u32 is just really nice

I have 14.25" shocks on mine, but they DO NOT work with the stock exhaust, the belt will rub the crossover/bracket. Also, 14.25" looks to be the max you can go without the belt rubbing the master cylinder. It is VERY close on mine but does not touch. I love the handling with the raised suspension though
Old 6th October 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

All sorts of options. Adding Ricor Intiminators and longer forks will also help. Proper suspension tuning is a must. But unless you get full length forks to match longer shocks, you will always be limited by ground clearance in the corners. See the link in my signature for details. Be sure to read about loosening the belt to avoid binding up rear suspension movement with longer shocks.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Old 6th October 2009
Biker

Bighit, XL,
Thanks for the reply. OEM exhaust went off the first day in my garage. I have V&H Short-shots.
XL, your site is very informative. Most helpful. Thanks guys,
Sam
Know Thy Hog