The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Seating and Luggage
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Seating and Luggage Here is where you post discussions about seating and luggage

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
S&S Cycle
Energy One Clutches
Superbrace.com
Motor Stage

Dead Creek Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th May 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
MOSPORTSTER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sportster Seat Fitment Problems 2004

Ok all, here is my problem. My wife has a 2004 XL1200C and we have attempted to install many seats, all of which look terrible. We tried the Saddlemen Profiler Tattoo seat and now the`Danny Gray Seat/ Flame Weekday 2-Up XL . Here is the problem we're having. When you install one of these seats you can see the plastic hardware/clips that hold the fuse box/electrical panel cover, and it looks terrible. Has anyone run into this before? Is there anything you can buy to cover or replace those clips to make the bike look better with one of these seats on? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Old 26th May 2007
Senior Master Bolter Oner

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: 48cc moped-donor bike TBD
Other Motorcycle Year: 14?
Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond repute

Krylon makes some pretty good paint for plastic. You could try to paint them black. I just decided to let mine show.

Old 26th May 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200Low
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough07sporty is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Krylon makes some pretty good paint for plastic You could try to paint them black.
I havent tried it on the bike at all.. but have used the plastic paint from krylon on many other things around the house and i am very pleased with it..I'm waiting for them to make a good seat for the 07's then i will prolly use this paint on those clips as well....I would suggest trying that!
S/E ac..&..SERT
Foward Controls
10" Licks Shocks
Badlander Seat
Old 26th May 2007
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: KTM MXC 250
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
jrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enough
Smile 04

When the 04's first came out the clips were black but then H-D realized that you can't see them with the stock seat so they started making them in gray. You could see if your local dealer has any of the old ones or if you have a buddy with an 04 he may swap with you.
2004 XL 1200R, SE II, One Off K&N A/C, 42mm Flatside, TC88A(Turbota Map), 10R12 PP Plugs, NRHS Stage 2 Heads, NRHS Hurricane Forged Pistions(10.3:1), Red Shift .567(Welded #2 Gear), Jims Hydrosolid Tappets, Andrews Adj Pushrod, H-D Roller Rockers, 04A Flywheels, Barnett Kevlar Extra Plate Kit, Pingel Petcock, SYN3, Spun Alum Gauges, 1200C Headlight, One Off Rear Brake Lever, 1200S Forks,SE Fork Brace, Progressive 418 Shocks, SE Tires,Misc. Black Goodies....

Run what ya brung, and HOPE you brung enough!!!!!
Old 4th July 2007
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
alsipd is on a distinguished roadalsipd is on a distinguished roadalsipd is on a distinguished road

Most I have seen remove the clips and use black wireties to hold the cover in place. If you get the kind that are reusable you don't have to keep some on the bike for that "special" occasion where you have to open the cover.
Know Thy Hog