The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Burly  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Wardog (65), ZeD (62), JamieSporty95 (42), JStrong (37), llsmketr, Phelan (29)
CV Performance
Energy One Clutches
Licks Cycles
NRHS Performance Long 2

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th October 2009
Biker

jewjewshutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help? maybe? carb problmes 1973 sportster

hey whats up im new to this place. im having a bunch of problems with my bike

my dad got a new bike and gave me his old sportster(1973)
i know i know lot of people tell me he gave me a ton of problems ha and there starting already!

its sat for the last 4ish years but its still in ok shape... insides seem to be working ok im having trouble with the clutch but my main problem is with the carb!

its a bendix/zenith carb.. i got a carb rebuild kit and everyhting ... almost everyhitng seems to be ok..
its leaking from the back (towards the bike) part of the float bowl where it connects to the carb.. might be the gasket.. but its a brand new gasket?
also im having problmes with the accelerator pump.. 1st i could not get it in the hole that it sits in and now that i have it in there it does not move like the old one did..

help? anyone?
Old 7th October 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1203 XLH/Buell Hybrid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
williamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to behold
Cool

Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on getting the new (to you) Ironhead!!!

I'm not sure about the carb, but others will chime in soon enough.
Old 7th October 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

First off welcome to the forum. The old ironheads are great bikes. The only people who knock 'em are those who've never had 'em. Sounds like you might have screwed up the float when rebuilding the carb. I just can't remember that much about the old carbs but, someone will chime in here with some accurate info. From now on post your info in the ironhead section of the forum.

Could a mod move this to the ironhead forum for him? (hey I'm a poet and don't know it).

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes