The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Bison Motorsports
Foxcreek Leather
DK Customs
Licks Cycles

Bison Motorsports
Tags
electrical, electrical problem, speedometer, wiring diagram

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th October 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
screwlord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Iron 883 09er wiring diagram/speedometer

hi,

i try the searchengine but i cant find the right answer.

i want to upgrade my sporty iron form 2009 with that speedometer

.motogadget.

and search for a wiring diagram.

the only i could find is a diagram from gary from a 2003 model.

is there anyone here who could help me pls and send me the right diagram or have the expirience with the change of the speedometer?

is there a posibility to by a manual with a wiring diagram inside?

i hope i define clearly what i need....

sorry for my bad english and greetz from germany

p.
Old 7th October 2009
Ride free, RubyRed

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 > SE 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
wandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant future

Yep, the service manual had a full wiring diagram (in color) in the back. Highly recommended that you purchase one of those.

The project bike:
1999 1200 XLH--Currently on indefinite hold... Custom Led Sled frame--4" up, 2" out; Baker/Vulcan chain conversion; Buell 17" rear wheel...
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=708796
Old 7th October 2009
Biker

hey thanks for the info!

you know where i can buy one?
or is there anybody outside how have a scan for me?
Old 7th October 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
cgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to all

The stealer or HD web sells them, maybe ebay.

Money Well spent.

They dont do SM scans on here.

Patriot Guard NY Region 2
SAL SQN 366 Honor Guard Color Guard
Old 7th October 2009
Biker

ok thanks

do you have a number for me or an link with the right on i have to buy? or is there only one manual.

thx for repley
Know Thy Hog

Old 8th October 2009
Biker

sorry for that, but is that the right one with wiring:

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com...r-Models-2.htm

or that one:

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com...r-Models-3.htm

thx
Old 8th October 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to all

the newer speedo is electric so you need a speed sensor and a tone ring with the right number of teeth in order to get the right speed. the wiring on the speedo should be the same as hd really hasn't changed the setup. i can send some info if you let me know by sending me a message so i can reply.

the other solution is to go after market as a complete set up is available with the sensor that will fit multiple situations.
Old 9th October 2009
Biker

@bustert: thx for the infos....

i think i fix 90% of my problems:
Quote:
m-CAN - the digital adapter for easily connecting our instruments to the OBD interface directly. Plug & Ride, it doesn't get much easier. A tiny box makes installing sensors for speed and engine speed redundant.

Every Harley-Davidson™ built 2004 or later has an OBD interface (On-Board Diagnosis) as a 3-pin plug-in connection on the motorcycle. Using the m-CAN adaptor, which is simply plugged into this connector, motogadget instruments can read out data such as speed, engine speed and MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) from the vehicle data bus by Harley Davidson™ directly.
There is no longer any need to mount and connect sensors for speed and engine speed.

Power is also supplied via the OBD interface. A 'motoscope mini', for example, can be operated without any additional connection work on the motorcycle. You simply connect the instrument to the m-CAN. All problems with compatibility between instruments and e.g. original speed sensors, and H-D models after 2007 in particular, are solved.

The signal for the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) for engine and I/O device fault messages is read out and can be displayed by connecting an LED/warning light. As a result, original instruments can be removed entirely* and customizing in this area is also an option in the latest H-D models without having to compromise operational safety.

*For certain models, e.g. V-ROD, removing the original tachometer can cause problems with the ECU / immobilizer. Please ask your local dealer or test this before making any modifications e.g. by disconnecting the OEM gauges. Maybe the immobilizer have to be disabled.

The m-CAN consists of a tiny, fully moulded box, an OBD connector and a connecting cable of sufficient length. It is resistant to vibrations and the effects of weather. The electronics are protected against voltage peaks. Its function is guaranteed down to 5V and thus meets all SAE specifications for motorcycles.
now i have only the problem that i dont know whats happened when remove the whole speedo. the second problem ist i dont know what i do with the signal lamp for empty fuel?

hmmmmmm
Old 11th May 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
HarleyTech has a spectacular aura aboutHarleyTech has a spectacular aura aboutHarleyTech has a spectacular aura aboutHarleyTech has a spectacular aura aboutHarleyTech has a spectacular aura aboutHarleyTech has a spectacular aura aboutHarleyTech has a spectacular aura aboutHarleyTech has a spectacular aura aboutHarleyTech has a spectacular aura aboutHarleyTech has a spectacular aura about

screwlord,

What are you trying to do? Put a different speedo on? What speedo? I don't really understand what you're doing. Replacing the speedo is easy if you're using H-D parts, but if not you need to keep in mind that the speedos since 2004 run on the datalink system, what is called a j1850 bus, which sends information to and from the ECM in the form of electrical pulses. If you are trying to go aftermarket you may run into a problem resulting in a diagnostic trouble code or worse. The ECM checks the operational status of the speedometer and turn signal module each time you turn the ignition on and if the speedo isn't reporting that it is there and working you could be in for problems. Just a heads up.

PM me your email address if you want me to send you the diagram. I tried putting it in a PM but can't put pictures or attachments in one.

If all you need to know is which wire is for the low fuel light, its the Yellow one with the White stripe (Y/W) in pin 9 of the speedo connector.

Last edited by HarleyTech; 11th May 2010 at 06:30.. Reason: I lied. Couldn't send diagram via PM
Old 22nd May 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
SyphilisJack will become famous soon enoughSyphilisJack will become famous soon enoughSyphilisJack will become famous soon enoughSyphilisJack will become famous soon enoughSyphilisJack will become famous soon enoughSyphilisJack will become famous soon enough

I know every one seems to relocate their speedo, but has any one ever just hacked it off? Im thinking about doing to my nighster. Pardom my stupid question but does anyone know if i just cut the wires for it if any problems will arise? im assuming so but im hoping not.
Know Thy Hog