The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum CV Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Zippers Performance
Superbrace
Superbrace
Foxcreek Leather

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Ace2000 is on a distinguished roadAce2000 is on a distinguished road
Default Rebuild/Restory Harley?

I would like some opinions here: I found an old Harley for sale that does not run and needs to be restored. All I really know about the bike right now is that its probably from the 1950s...I know, not much information to go off of (I don't even know the condition because I havent seen any pictures of it yet). I have never restored anything in my life before. I would like to believe I am somewhat mechanical and have a good selection of tools to work with. The seller is only asking about $1000 for the bike (again, never seen it, so dont know if thats reasonable or not yet). Depending on the overall condition, I am really tempted to buy it and try my hand at my first project. It would be nice to keep it looking original, but that might not be all that possible. How many of you have got a bike running again? are older harleys typically easier to tougher to work on than newer harleys? I really dont have too much mechanical experience, but am willing to learn. is the best way to learn just by doing? or would i really need to take classes or something? any advice or opinions would be great..like i said, ive been wanting to do something like this, but dont know how challenging it would be or where to start!
Old 10th October 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
PaulDM has disabled reputation

As I see it, this is a very good place to ask that question. It's kinda like a airplane mechanic that works on WW2 planes, they're hard to find, for good reasons. Parts are a problem and you need to learn old technology that didn't work so good some of the time. it will be a on-going work in progress. I'd guess if you really want to get into it as a hobby and an engaging pastime it would be hard to beat. Expect frustations as a part of the game and consider about like a boat without the storms and having to travel to maintain it, but still a hole in the water you deposit your funds into...
2007 XL 883 - 1/4 Harley Fairing - ISO grips and pegs - Mustang Vintage wide - Adjure Reflector & PIAA bulb - 50 State Mufflers - ABS front fender - Tail pack for stuff - HyperPro progressive fork springs - Whittlebeast rear shocks = Rocky Mountain Sport Tourer :-)
Old 10th October 2009
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R80ST
Other Motorcycle Year: 1984
DEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant future

Go for it .
The best way to learn is to do it.
When you get the bike, take lots of pictures of the strip down, to help when you rebuild it.
Put all the parts in to bags/boxs and label up.
Put all bolts back in to the holes they came out of.
The main thing is to get a factory manual and parts book.
You may find the engine is a runner? and just needs a good clean up.

BARRY

RED BLACK AND CHROME
AND IT GETS ME HOME
Old 10th October 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 07
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 08
Atomic Punk is on a distinguished roadAtomic Punk is on a distinguished roadAtomic Punk is on a distinguished road

It's a great learning experence and can be rewarding and can be a real pisser also. It is gonna cost you alot more than you are expecting. It is time consuming, very very time consuming. When you are doing a large project, you have to worry about money, seaching for parts and cleaning and cleaning along with turning wrenches. The longer you have it the less time you can find in order to work on it. It could and probally will take a couple years to finish, and the vast majority of people that start such a project never finish. But when you finish , you have a memory that you will never forget
Old 10th October 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: SX 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph America
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Tin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud of

Does the Bike have a title? Before you put much into it you had best make sure you can legally own it. Parts are available for most old Harleys, The paper work is crucial.

Old 10th October 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200c
mercypl is on a distinguished roadmercypl is on a distinguished roadmercypl is on a distinguished roadmercypl is on a distinguished road

I thought about buying an older Harley before I bought my Sportster. I am glad I didn't. The cost of just modifying this new one has kept me from doing much to it. I find that a stage 1 runs you nearly or way over $1k no matter how you do it. That's just the first step in the customizing. The cost of a rebuild looks like it will be over the cost of a new bike. Although, once you finish it's all about you, that's if you finish.
Old 10th October 2009
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I would like some opinions here: I found an old Harley for sale that does not run and needs to be restored.
The big question is how original is it? If it's all butchered up keep looking.

Here's a few scoots I've owned:

1976 FLH 100% stock:

1963 FL 100% stock:

1959 FLH 100% stock:

1960 FL 100% stock:

1972 XLH wrong seat:

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.