The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Burly
883 Sportster
S&S Cycle
Get Lowered

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2007
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883R-1212
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
alainmengoli has disabled reputation
Default Please someone explain this new databus wiring

So I am trying to use an universal spedo tacho on my bike but have problems with the data-bus system. I understand that the single databus wire (light green violet) controls the speedo, tacho and indicators. What I need to know is how to use the wire to feed conventional speedos, tacho and how to make th eindicators work now.
Old 27th May 2007
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
unfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the rough
Default not a mech but

as far as I can tell you want to use a analog device with a digital system. why?
Old 27th May 2007
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Jimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the rough

Good luck, Grasshopper.
Scares the hell out'a me and I'm a hardware computer tech.....
Blue Loctite is your Friend
Old 27th May 2007
Harley Engineer

I have a universal speed/tacho which is small and will do everything I want it to do.
http://www.acewell-meter.com/c0_1.php?bid=11&pid=3
besides th eoptimistic tacho and fuell gauge the unit fits nicly whiere my mirror used to.

If you look at the specs it sayd tacho has coil feed or CDI not sure what that means.
Old 27th May 2007
Senior Chief Know It All

unfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainmengoli View Post
I have a universal speed/tacho which is small and will do everything I want it to do.
http://www.acewell-meter.com/c0_1.php?bid=11&pid=3
besides th eoptimistic tacho and fuell gauge the unit fits nicly whiere my mirror used to.

If you look at the specs it sayd tacho has coil feed or CDI not sure what that means.
except work on a digital system
Know Thy Hog

Old 27th May 2007
Harley Engineer

Is there no way I can make it work??
Old 27th May 2007
Senior Chief Know It All

Default ok ill try to reak this down

a data or multi-plex buss uses low voltage coded electrical signals to send data in digital form. in other words thie is high and low or on and off. The analog device you have measures raw physical (real) things like vibration and rpm. if you are real real smart you can designe a device with a computer languge that can translate the digtal data into an analog signal. I suspecct the reverse of the divice already exists that allows digital devices to be used on old bikes but the reverse is less likely since the digital stuff is more acurate any way
Old 27th May 2007
Harley Engineer

ok thanks now how do I fix my indicators? can I use a standard jap type switch i.e. single switch which moves side to side?
Old 31st May 2007
Harley Engineer

HI again,

I wanted to know if it is possible to tap into the signal wire to the coils for a tachometer and the feed from the gearboc for the speedometer hence bypassing the data bus system? I see three wire to the coils and two sensor on the gearbox, I reckon one is for neutral and the other for speed sensor.
Old 2nd June 2007
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
DynamoBen is an unknown quantity at this point

It is possible. While the data running from the ICM to the stock gauges is serial over a single wire, the sensor(s) that the ICM is listening to is analog. That means you still can get a tach signal from the coil, and get speed data directly from the speed sensor. This is how Dakota Digital gets their stuff to work on serial (04 and up) bikes.
Know Thy Hog