The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Figure Machine
RYCA Motors
883 Sportster
Motor Stage

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Rubbermount Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
IronHed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AHHHHHH...not this... (rust in tank)

pulled my tins the other day and started stripping them... started on the tank last night and.....yep, you guessed it, rust in the tank!

appears minimal and I didn't see any rust in the petcock last week when I took it off, but looking inside, I can definitely see it now...this blows...have read a few posts on here for the proper procedure and none of them sound like any fun! weighing my options @ this point...would all the trouble to repair be worth it or should I just buy a new tank?..not made of money, but somethings it pays in the long run to just spend the money...how many of you guys have done the repairs yourselves? I've read that coating them can also lead to flaking and other issues....just looking for some opinions from some of those better versed in the process...

Last edited by Folkie; 15th October 2009 at 01:00.. Reason: Vague title.
Old 14th October 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
keithb is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard good things about the POR-15 coating kit.
Old 14th October 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportser
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
sddowdy is an unknown quantity at this point

Even if you buy a new tank most companys recomend coating the tank anyways. There has been alot of discusions on here about tank coating. Everything I have read says the 3 part Por 15 works well on rusty tanks and Kreem seems to flake off. Here is a link to a HOW TO, for Kreem, I'm assuming the process will be the same for the Por 15 kit.
http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-use-t...00000001059206
Old 14th October 2009
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default If you don't feel like dicking around with it, go ahead and...

...spring for a new tank.
Not everybody's into the bullshit involved with lining/creaming a gas tank.
That's one of the reasons you see so many Sportster tanks up for sale EVERYWHERE.

When I switched from my stock 2.2 gallon peanut, I picked up a brand-new King Sportster (3.1 gallons) with recessed pop-up cap for under $100 on eGay.

I've NEVER coated a gas tank in my life, for the simple reason that gasoline doesn't stay in the tank for long because I don't let my bike sit around.

CTFS/QCB
Viva Los Bastardos!!!
Old 14th October 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna Wide Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
Robotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to behold

IronHed...look into a product called Evaporust (www.evaporust.com).

It will take that rust out with minimal work. I used it on parts and believe me, it works wonders. I found it at my local Autozone so you may find a retailer that stocks it on their shelves already. The stuff is fantastic! No smell, no fumes, no real mess, it's bio-degradable and non-toxic. They have instructions specifically on how to de-rust a motorcycle tank. I think you plug your holes except the fill hole of course, pour in the product, then sit it down for like an hour. Then you rotate it every hour so that every area inside the tank gets treated.

You can then either recoat the tank (or have a radiator shop do it for you...don't know what they'd charge) or just fill it back up with gas. Like Ivan I don't plan on my bike sitting for long enough for rust to form. Then you can use that money you'd have spent on a new tank on something else!

(Note, I do not work for this company nor am associated with it in any way. It's just when I find a product that promises the moon then actually delivers I like to spread the news...)
"why pay someone to screw something up when you can do it yourself for free?"
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th October 2009
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default That actually sounds pretty good...

...I read some of the text and I'd give it a shot.
The real beauty of it seems to be that it's idiot-proof and uncomplicated, the way everything should be.

CTFS/QCB
Viva Los Bastardos!!!
Old 14th October 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

this does sound like good stuff, gonna give it a try. and as cool as it sounds to be able to ride enough to not let your bike sit around, alot of us here dont have that luxury. come on up here and try riding in jan, feb, or march. i think u will find that your bike DOES indeed get the chance to sit around for at least a few months. that being said, i too have never used a tank sealer, i found that during the winter hibernation i would fill the tank right to the top. i was married then, now i just park the bike in the house.

Last edited by Gone; 15th October 2009 at 00:14.. Reason: added info
Old 14th October 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1150R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
bigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to all

When I did the tank in my Goldwing I used the RedKote stuff after hearing Kreem starts chipping. So far so good!

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
Marquis de la Grange (1639 - 1692)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 15th October 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to all

tried a tank liner and can say its not all they say. the tank i tried it on can not be found so it was a necessary evil. one of these days, i will have to break out my metal brake and dimension out the old tank and try to duplicate it. this time with heavier metal. in the mean time, its either the mig or brass. the brass is easier to apply with less chance of burn through. got the machine to run it but one day, i have to break down for a tig.
by the way, i have seen fiber glass replica tanks but only in a very limited design like the old peanut style. hmmmmmm!
just got an idea. use the old tank top as a mold and roll my own coffin. then do the botton and glass the two together. is it worth the trouble?????
Old 15th October 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna Wide Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
Robotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to behold

I look forward to seeing what you guys think of it. I used it on my shift linkage and forward control clevites (I think that's what they are called...where the pegs attach). Both were very rusty and I didn't want to take a wire brush to them for fear of tearing up the chrome. I dumped the parts in a bucked of this stuff and an hour later almost all the rust was gone. By two hours they looked almost brand new with just some scratches! I think I gently brushed them with an old toothbrush for about 2 minutes at the hour mark and that wasn't even really necessary.

So let me know if you try it and what you think.

As for riding in the winter up in Detroit...no thanks. I like my 60 degree winters here in So Cal.
Know Thy Hog