The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
truckmen (57), Scooter Trash (52), K2RMX.ROB (50), Milazzo (48), benny04hd (34), Foxman (34), Chase1126 (23)
Superbrace.com
Biltwell
Energy One Clutches
Motor Stage

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2009
Greasemonkey

Toolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enough
Post Repair Manual - Any Suggestions??

I just bought a new '08 XL 1200 C (yes, I did say new! She only had 11 miles on her when I test rode her) and although she is covered under warranty, I want to be able to do minor repairs and tweaks myself. Can anyone recommend a GOOD repair manual? I know that Haynes, Chilton, and Clymer (to name a few) all make a manual for this bike, but I'd like to get your opinion on which one you think is the best.
Old 15th October 2009
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N-Traded :(
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Fat Bob
Other Motorcycle Year: 09
el jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really nice

The Harley manual.
Old 15th October 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1150R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
bigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to all

Factory service manual is pretty good and detailed. I don't have their repair manual so I can't comment about that.

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
Marquis de la Grange (1639 - 1692)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 15th October 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S3T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi V7 / 11 Ducati M696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolgirl View Post
I know that Haynes, Chilton, and Clymer (to name a few) all make a manual for this bike, but I'd like to get your opinion on which one you think is the best.
Actually Chilton hasn't made a motorcycle specific manual for more than 2 decades.

Haynes and Clymer may have something available, but it's not worth the small $$ savings when the Harley OEM manuals are so well done.
Old 15th October 2009
Greasemonkey

Toolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enoughToolgirl will become famous soon enough

Does the HD manual provide the part numbers?
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th October 2009
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N-Traded :(
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Fat Bob
Other Motorcycle Year: 09
el jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolgirl View Post
Does the HD manual provide the part numbers?
No, that's a separate manual.
Old 15th October 2009

bigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to all

My only beef with the HD service manual is they don't tell you what size nut or bolt you're trying to loosen/tighten.
Old 15th October 2009
Greasemonkey

Great, thanks for your help. It sounds like my best option is the HD manual. Time to check out Ebay and Amazon since I'm sure the dealer wants an arm and a leg for it. Any other recommendations on where I can pick one up fairly inexpensively?
Old 15th October 2009

I just called each dealer until I found one who had one. It was $60 something and change.
Old 15th October 2009

Toolgirl, while you're at it, you might consider the Fix My Hog DVD along with the service manual. For me, I look at the service manual and then "watch" them performing that particular maintenance.
Know Thy Hog