The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Chopper & Bobber Talk
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Chopper & Bobber Talk Talk about your Sportster motorcycle chopper or bobber!!.

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
Progressive Suspension
Bison Motorsports
Burly
Figure Machine

Ironworks Magazine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th October 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
Other Motorcycle Model: Parts of few
Other Motorcycle Year: old
maximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nice
Default barrel oil tank on SA sporty? any body?

Did anybody ever tried to replace the stock oil tank with a round barrel type one, on a swing arm sporty? if yes where did you put the battery? If you haven't done it where would you put the battery?
Also what is the stock tank capacity for a 06 1200?
I am going to try and do that this winter.
post pics if you find any.
Old 18th October 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: yamaha yz250
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
rvwalke is on a distinguished roadrvwalke is on a distinguished roadrvwalke is on a distinguished road

i have seen it done.. the battery was hidden in a saddle bag or mounted to the side (very ugly)
Old 18th October 2009

maximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nicemaximummaxime is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvwalke View Post
i have seen it done.. the battery was hidden in a saddle bag or mounted to the side (very ugly)
yeah I don't like that either how small is the smallest battery you can put on a sporty?
Old 18th October 2009
Super Moderacer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLRR
Sportster/Buell Year: 91
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80
racerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant future
Cool

I know you said you're looking for a swingarm bike but here's a friends homemade rigid Ironhead with a tank he made out of a fire extinguisher and he mounted the battery just underneath...... I don't have any better pics than this one.....

[IMG][/IMG]

Ww

Blue Locktite..... I put that sh*t on everything.....

"never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence"

"All The Way"
Old 18th October 2009

looking good racer but I already have the bike and I am not ready to hardtail yet. I don't think the battery will fit under the barrel tank on a swingarm frame.
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th October 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 92
justin marois is on a distinguished roadjustin marois is on a distinguished road

When i stretch my swingarm, i replace my oil thank for a kind of custom barrel one and put the battery box mount on the left swingarm side. Don't know if there is enough place to put it on side if swingarm is standard length.
Old 18th October 2009

thanks justin, do you have any pics by any chance
Old 18th October 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
NickWilliams will become famous soon enoughNickWilliams will become famous soon enoughNickWilliams will become famous soon enoughNickWilliams will become famous soon enoughNickWilliams will become famous soon enoughNickWilliams will become famous soon enough

I've been working on this problem on my '04. The closest I've come to a solution is to build a round tank with a cut out in it to hide the battery in. Not positive about how much it needs to hold yet. I think you will end up having to replace the cam cover with one from an '03 and do a little rewiring to get rid of some of the electronic components that are hidden under those side covers. I picked up a little space when I replaced my backbone with smaller tubing. So, I might be able to do a tank that is slightly larger in diameter. I plan on working on it this winter.
Old 18th October 2009

capacity is 3qt, most tank I looked at in 3qt are 5 round by 11 3/4 long with no battery tray the probleme is if you cut a notch to hide battery in there you loose about a quart and I am afraid this is not enought oil then.
What is the smallest battery made that could run a sportster? do you know?
Old 19th October 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
NickWilliams will become famous soon enoughNickWilliams will become famous soon enoughNickWilliams will become famous soon enoughNickWilliams will become famous soon enoughNickWilliams will become famous soon enoughNickWilliams will become famous soon enough

I had planned to go wider with the tank to make up for the cut out. The covers stick out a couple of inches on each side... I figured I'd let the barrel stick out a little too.
Know Thy Hog