The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sporster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Zippers Performance
Dead Creek Cycles
Biltwell
Superbrace.com

CV Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th October 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 71 xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 74 xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74
Other Motorcycle Model: BT rigid hand shift
fergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the rough
Default 74 versus 75 frame/cross-tube

Can I run 74 foot controls with a 75 frame? Are the frames for 74 and 75 the same castings? Is the cross over tube the same? I want to run right side shift on my 75 (using my 73 motor and parts).
Old 20th October 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

the frames are the same. the cross over for the shifter on your 75 is the cross over for the brake on 74 and earlier. you will need the 74 and earlier brake cross over shaft and lever, the rod from the shaft to the brake lever on the drum, and a mount for the brake light switch will have to be fabbed, unless you get a 74 or earlier swingarm with the switch bracket on it. i believe the brake backing plate is different also, to accomondate the cable rr brake used in 75
Old 20th October 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
BuckIRyder has disabled reputation

You also need to remove the trans to install the longer '74 and earlier shift shaft and lever.
Old 20th October 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 61 62 64 65 68 70 78
Moon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to all

The backing plates are different, but you can make the one you have work.

When everything is as it was in my childhood

Violent, vivid, and of infinite possiblilty:

That the sun and moon broke over my head.--Richard Eberhart