The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Sky Smith Insurance
Energy One Clutches
BIKE BUILDER
Licks Cycles

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st October 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Lone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to all
Default Carb question (hows it held on)

The stinkng breather kit I just bought did not come with the proper brackets to mount the SE AC to (brackets are for stock AC), my question is are they necessary, how is the carb held to the manifold? I dont want the carb to fall of going down the road, the bike is an 03, thanks.
Old 21st October 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2007 XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
DIESEL has disabled reputation

should be held on the manifold by a rubber boot. Just pops in there.
Old 21st October 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200 standard XL
Sportster/Buell Year: MUTT
Kwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really niceKwest187 is just really nice

So what did come in the kit...an air filter, and cover?
you need the bracket...the carb is held in place by 3 small screws and the breather bolts with attach through the bracket into the head...
the carb is pretty much sandwiched in there...I'm assuming CV carb also...
Mik carbs use a rubber gasket deal and a small circular bracket that is held in place by the three small screws...but it pulls right out once the breather bolts are removed...
the CV carb requires you to unscrew the screws to pull the carb if my memory serves me right.
Loctite the screws-I've heard of people's coming loose and getting sucked into the carb-
Old 21st October 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
derailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to all

Yep, the carb is just pushed on, but the AC needs to be bolted.
Old 21st October 2009
Biker

Location: Smithville, Pennsylvania - Milepost 21 on the Low Grade
Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
S. Weaver is an unknown quantity at this point

Pony up for the shop manual. Questions like these are easily answered and it will be worth it down the road for other things.

Old 21st October 2009
Flat Track Champion

Lone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwest187 View Post
So what did come in the kit...an air filter, and cover?
you need the bracket...the carb is held in place by 3 small screws and the breather bolts with attach through the bracket into the head...
the carb is pretty much sandwiched in there...I'm assuming CV carb also...
Mik carbs use a rubber gasket deal and a small circular bracket that is held in place by the three small screws...but it pulls right out once the breather bolts are removed...
the CV carb requires you to unscrew the screws to pull the carb if my memory serves me right.
Loctite the screws-I've heard of people's coming loose and getting sucked into the carb-
This is the kit that gets the breather bolts out of the AC hence I loose the ability to mount the backing plate to create the "sandwiche" with the brackets (To fit stock AC) that came with the kit, time to call Drag specialties and see if they make a bracket to fit the SE AC.
Old 21st October 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

The carb may fit into the rubber boot but if you don't bolt on the bracket and install the three screws into the carb, It won't stay on for three minutes...

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 21st October 2009
Flat Track Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Weaver View Post
Pony up for the shop manual. Questions like these are easily answered and it will be worth it down the road for other things.
The Pony is out the gate, waiting for it to come in, however you are correct sir.
Old 21st October 2009
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

On mine, the carb bracket mounts (at the breather bolts) sit BEHIND the breather assembly.....so its not an issue...you just need the longer breather bolts, which you should have gotten...

Can you do this with yours?!?!

(Mine's not an SE...its a ramflo, and I don't recall the way SE is mounted, exactly)

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 21st October 2009
Flat Track Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantolina View Post
On mine, the carb bracket mounts (at the breather bolts) sit BEHIND the breather assembly.....so its not an issue...you just need the longer breather bolts, which you should have gotten...

Can you do this with yours?!?!

(Mine's not an SE...its a ramflo, and I don't recall the way SE is mounted, exactly)
Mine is the standard "horse shoe" type breather which come with 2 brackets to mount to the AC (stock AC) replacing the long breather bolts that spew into the AC, the backing plate of the SE AC bolts directly to the mouth of the carb via the three screws however the breather bolts held said backing plate tight against the crab, think I found a solution see linky. http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/10/55/7727440
Know Thy Hog