The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bison Motorsports  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Licks Holiday
Motor Stage
Motor Stage
Fix My Hog

Progressive Suspension

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd October 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Turbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really nice
Default Check these shock specs .. Seem Correct?

Is there a data base here on the XLForum that gives some of the specs of the various rear shocks?

I am interested in the comparison between the stock 04 1200R vs the 1200S rear shocks. I included the Ohlins on the bottom becuse I am considering these right now.

This is the info I have got, but don't know how acurate it is:

04 1200R Rear Shock:
13.25" Long
Spring Rate: 69 -116 lb / in
Stroke: 2.1"

1200S Rear Shock:
13.5" Long
Spring Rate: 54 - 78 lb / in
Stroke: 3.5"

Ohlins 36PL Rear Shock:
13.2" - 13.6" Long (Adjustable)
Spring Rate: 86 - 137 lb / in ... (this #03 spring seems about right for my bike and rider weight)
Stroke: 3.9"

NRHS Stage 2 Heads / NRHS 10.5-1 Thunderstorm Pistons / Zipper's 567 Cams / Mikuni HSR42 Carb
RevTech Roller Rockers / Andrews Adj. Pushrods / RB Racing 2-1 Exhaust / Twin Tec TC88A Ignition
Old 22nd October 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Low
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
whittlebeast has disabled reputation

04 1200R Rear Shock:
13.25" Long
Stroke: 3.25" as it hits a fairly firm bump stop

1200S Rear Shock:
13.25" Long
Stroke: 3" as it hits a fairly soft bump stop

Do a search for spring database from about two years ago for the spring rates. Both of those shocks have stock springs that are fairly soft for most applications.

AW

P.S. Nice bike in the Pic
traction or wheelie limited acceleration, a sound that just drips testosterone or peace of mind that
everything is as perfect as you know how to make it.

When the racers get done doing the impossible the engineers get a chance to correct the errors in the model.

***My other addiction, running Megasquirt EFI ***
Old 22nd October 2009

Turbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really nice

The reason I said the 04 XL 1200R rear shocks had 2.1" of stroke was because that's what it said on the H-D website for the bike back in 04.
Old 22nd October 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

Harley database of springs and shocks

I haven't read this thread in a long time, so I can't remember what is on it. There is a lot of infomation about shocks in the link in my signature.

http://www.hardracing.com/

A few guys have bought Ohlins shocks from Hard Racing, all were pleased. Contact them for spring and shock suggestions.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=632187

Contact Shoei in this link, you guys need to exchange shocks.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.

Last edited by XLXR; 22nd October 2009 at 08:05..
Old 22nd October 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Low
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
whittlebeast has disabled reputation

These are ballpark spring rates for a sporty with about 3" total shock travel. These assume fixed spring rate. You can split the difference when running duel rate springs.

a 100 lb rider needs 77.5#/in springs
a 150 lb rider needs 89.3#/in springs
a 200 lb rider needs 101#/in springs
a 250 lb rider needs 113#/in springs
a 300 lb rider needs 125#/in springs
a 350 lb load needs 147#/in springs (assumes that this is a 200# driver with a 150# passenger)
Know Thy Hog