The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
Energy One Clutches
Motor Stage
Motor Stage
Licks Cycles

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Krlyman is on a distinguished roadKrlyman is on a distinguished road
Default Best Exhaust for Nightster

What are your opinions on the various exhaust manufacturers and which one makes the best product. Please include why they are the best. I'd like to start saving for the spring fix-up. I ride a 2009 Nightster 1200.
Thanks!

Old 25th October 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
colonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nice

well id say vance & hines as they have been racing harleys for years lots of r&d as for the pipes them selves 2into1 will give more performance ,but the look of short duel pipes is awesome ..
im biased though i just purchased a set of vance & hines short shots black for my nightster.
Old 25th October 2009
Ride free, RubyRed

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 > SE 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
wandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant future

Define "best." Performance? Look? Sound? All of course need answers to the "best" question, too.

More detail will get better responses.

2006 1200 Low--NRHS HurricaneFlow 2", slash down Screamin' Eagle Street Performance exhaust, Progressive 12" 418s w/ heavy duty springs, Progressive fork springs + Ricor Intiminators, HD forward controls, Mustang Vintage Wide seat, HD QD windshield (smoked), HD mini-apes, and surely more to come... Sold

1999 1200 XLH--In progress. Custom Led Sled frame--4" up, 2" out; Baker/Vulcan chain conversion; Buell 17" rear wheel...
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=708796 Currently on indefinite hold...
Old 25th October 2009
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
AsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond repute

Modify what you have, and save your money for the other accessories you want.
Old 25th October 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

colonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandrur View Post
Define "best." Performance? Look? Sound? All of course need answers to the "best" question, too.

More detail will get better responses.
i think hes looking for opinions and why we think that our choice is the best .
ive stated mine whats yours you posted but left no opinion on pipes or why you choose the style and brand you did..
Know Thy Hog

Old 25th October 2009
Ride free, RubyRed

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 > SE 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
wandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant future

I was trying to help us get to a more effective answer to his question. Generally someone has an idea of "best" when they ask for the opinions of others; otherwise, it's a question about, "How can I make my bike like yours."

V&H ShortShots were nice, but eventually louder than I wanted, despite the quiet baffles. I have the Screamin' Eagle Street Performance now, and the sound is much better though the upper RPM range is less than the V&H pipes. Gronk modding will likely get the same effect as the SESPs. Do a search for detailed threads on doing this.

From reading around here, the Thunderheader gets great performance and is tunable, but I can't stand the look of it. I'm a bigger fan of the RB Racing pipes, but they're really expensive.
Old 25th October 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
MonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the rough

Just tossin in my two cents, the V&H short shots from a power standpoint are terrible. That being said they are currently on my bike. How ever they will be swapped out for an RB LSR in the future.
2007 XL883L- Pearl black or nighty tins, V&H short or side shots depends on my mood lol, Drag bars, fwd. controls, mini speedo, wire tuck, coil and ignition moved, solo saddle, other stuff moved/removed.
Old 25th October 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Year: 07
24inchapes is an unknown quantity at this point

Any system with equal length pipes are good, as well as 2 to 1 pipes. It makes zero sense to me why v&h made their pipes about 8 or so inches shorter than another. Which ever pipes you choose, please stay away from the pipe wrap, sure it looks cool but its bad for pipes, especially air cooled bikes like ours. (if you flip through summitracing you will see that alot of header mfg discourage wrap as well as some wrap saying it will void header warranty) By the way, im speaking from experience also with the wrapping. And i do have shortshots that have been made equal lengths.
Old 25th October 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
lchen6 is an unknown quantity at this point

id wait for the big radius(rumor says it's coming in nov.-dec., if it's true) both power and looks better than the shortshots.
Old 25th October 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krlyman View Post
What are your opinions on the various exhaust manufacturers and which one makes the best product. Please include why they are the best. I'd like to start saving for the spring fix-up. I ride a 2009 Nightster 1200.
Thanks!

so can you tell me the difference between a 1200 c and a Nightster !