The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > REGIONAL FORUMS > Europe > United Kingdom
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Cherrylady2 (58), kkbii (51), Cholo, Quebeker, poboy_27 (43), jay 21 (41), Matt-04-883 (40), timhypo (39), harleybuell2000 (38), Biker-Dale (36)
Speedway Instruments
Biltwell
Lowbrow Customs
Biltwell

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th October 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
RedstarMike is on a distinguished roadRedstarMike is on a distinguished roadRedstarMike is on a distinguished roadRedstarMike is on a distinguished roadRedstarMike is on a distinguished road
Default Prices

Tricky people dealers. You always seem to end up paying for something you weren't expecting. Something they failed to mention or didn't quote with VAT added on, or they get all excited and before you know it, you've agreed to having more done than you wanted in the first place.. you went in for a Buell Blast, but came out with a Road King.

Of course, this isn't my experience of my local HD dealer, who so far have been excellent, however before I ever talk to them about prices for the few minor overwinter mods I'm looking at, can someone give me an idea what an ECM download might cost?

I'm planning to change the air filter for the SE one, maybe some pipes too (though maybe not..). Will need the ECM updating as per all of the advice in the literature, but nowhere can I find out how much I should be expected to pay for this.

There are references to how much US dealers charge in the forum, but I've long learned that you can't use that to estimate how much something similar would cost in rip-off Britain.

The HD price list gives RRP prices for all parts, but while it refers to an ECM update constantly, it doesn't indicate how much this will cost, which suggests to me it's up to the dealer. I assume it's a cheaper option than a V&H fuelpak?

I'd like to know what other people have paid, so that if my dealer thinks 'Ha! We've got one here, stick another zero on it Clyde!' I'll spot it. Maybe I'm just paranoid??

Anyone?

RIP - Buell Motorcycles 2009.
Old 27th October 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: FXD Dyna
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
humpbackbob has a spectacular aura abouthumpbackbob has a spectacular aura abouthumpbackbob has a spectacular aura abouthumpbackbob has a spectacular aura abouthumpbackbob has a spectacular aura abouthumpbackbob has a spectacular aura abouthumpbackbob has a spectacular aura abouthumpbackbob has a spectacular aura abouthumpbackbob has a spectacular aura abouthumpbackbob has a spectacular aura about

I think the price varies according to what bike/setup you have. It seems to run about $150.00 here.
BTW if you are getting the A/C and remap you may as well get the pipes at the same time, $$$ permitting, or you will have to remap again when you do add them

2006 XLC 1200,Fire Red Pearl, S/E A/C, rejetted carb, V&H Straightshots, Andrews N3 cams.Color Matched Oil & Battery Covers & Ham Can. XL Low Bars, Chrome levers, Diamondback braided lines. Chrome Everything else. Brawler Solo Seat.
Old 27th October 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna Wide Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
Robotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to behold

It sounds like you have a pretty honest dealer. Now I'm not much on HD dealers but with Auto dealers I've seen straight sales departments at a dealer but then the service department is a bunch of crooks and visa-versa. You're not paranoid. The best advice I can give to anyone dealing with any kind of dealer is DO YOUR HOMEWORK. That's what you're doing here...finding out what something SHOULD cost so you KNOW when you get there whether or not the price they are quoting you is reasonable or not.
"why pay someone to screw something up when you can do it yourself for free?"
Old 27th October 2009
If it moves...RIDE IT!

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Stark has disabled reputation

Prices are always going to vary, I'm in southern europe and have ordered OEM parts from the UK/USA in the past because they are in some cases 2/3's cheaper even with the postage on top. In regards to your Stage I if I could turn the clock back I would have gone for XIED's first rather than a remap or piggyback fueler, as Robotech say's DO YOUR HOMEWORK before talking to your dealer, thanks to XLF I have saved myself alot of grief & heartache
"Will need the ECM updating as per all of the advice in the literature!" it absolutley beggers belief the amount of bullshit/misinformation & myths people spew out (not just dealers) purely because they just don't know what the hell they are talking about and don't want to appear stupid especialy when the subject has to do with their line of work (ask your HD tech about XIED's and see what his say's !!! )
Unlike dealers the guy's/gal's on XLF are'nt going to benefit from lying, and their information is based on experience.
Old 27th October 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
colonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nice

from what ive read and from the email nightrider has sent me the ied's work fine with the ecm download.the bike didnt surge or hunt untill the download and the ied's fix that .so the ecm gives you the full power download and the
x14ied's fix the hunting/surging while bringing down combustion temps.seemd like a no brainer to me.
if i have been mis-informed please correct me.
Know Thy Hog

Old 27th October 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
dashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant future

If it's an "update" as opposed to an "upgrade" I would think it might be covered under warranty. There was an update for 2005 models that was free. Call your dealer.

Old 27th October 2009
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

You can reckon most things are about twice the price, so it used to be the case (before the £ crashed) that you could taken the US price, take the $ sign away and put a £ in it's place, and call it close enough.
'The green machine'
Old 28th October 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
RedstarMike is on a distinguished roadRedstarMike is on a distinguished roadRedstarMike is on a distinguished roadRedstarMike is on a distinguished roadRedstarMike is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input chaps. I hate to go into something without knowing something about it, I must be a salesperson's worst nightmare. I enjoy contradicting the ridiculous often vacuous statements some of them make in search of a sale. Though in my experience car dealers are by far the worst culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
You can reckon most things are about twice the price, so it used to be the case (before the £ crashed) that you could taken the US price, take the $ sign away and put a £ in it's place, and call it close enough.
Yep Folkie, that's what I thought when I saw humpbackbob quote about $150. After searching the forum that's the figure I guessed, but even before sterling was worth less than the metal the coins are made of I thought it would be about £150. Just applying the exchange rate doesn't work, things are cheaper in the US. Maybe it's because of tax. (I've heard tax makes our US friends see red and throw tea off boats and say bad things about the King or some such malarky.)

I run a design studio and we buy apple desktops - the price in the US has always been pretty much the same figure over here, but with an £ sign - a colossal rip off (at least when sterling was worth something!), but it seems to apply to most commodities, at least the ones I buy!! In many cases it's cheaper to buy over there and pay import duties over here. It's not quite the case with HD bike prices, but there's still a massive difference in price.

Obviously that's not the case with an ECM upgrade, as I can't order it and do it myself and I have no idea how long it takes, or even what's involved other than plugging a laptop or something into it...

Okay, I'll phone the dealer if I get 5 mins at work and if it seems mad, I'll phone a few others. I will post my findings!
Old 28th October 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 09
Tater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to all

My calibration as they called it here in Tenn. was $150 also after I had the pipes and breather stage 1 installed...
I did later (couple of days ago) install the x14iEDs which seem to help smooth it a bit at idle and lower speeds & give better throttle response & power in the mid to upper range...As I said, it seems to, because I have only put about 100 mi. on since the x14iED install...
Have a good one...Tater...
Viking Shock Cutout Saddlebags, Mustang Seat, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, SuperBrace...
Old 2nd November 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Although I am very new to the forum and Harleys, I thought I'd throw in my 2 penneth.

If you fit a filter and pipes, then all they will do at the dealers is download a new tune to the ECU. I recently had a tune on my Triumph Daytona 675 (for the offroad/race can) and the main dealer charged me £20.

With regard to the exchange rate, I enquired at Plymouth HD about the cost of stainless throttle, idle, clutch and brake line. I was quoted £230 incl 10% off for HOG membership. V twin mania quoted £170. A guy off ebay in the states has just despatched the whole lot (barnett lines) incl $33 postage for £125! I can wait to go back to Florida next September. I have started my shopping list already!

Kev
Know Thy Hog