The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Lowbrow Customs
DK Customs
Lowbrow Customs
Biltwell

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883-1200 Ol Black Mare
Sportster/Buell Year: 1990
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Yam. XS650 "Angry Hornet"
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Yam. XS650 "Bug Killer"
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
DogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really nice
Default 1990 CV carb rebuild question -- what the heck???

Okay, so the manual says to back out the main jet and the needle jet holder. I have done that, they are resting on the right side of the body and in the float bowl in the pic. Manual then says:

"Needle jet is free to be removed from bottom end of passage."
But I have a brass rod in the way (red arrow). What the heck? I gently grabbed the rod with needle nose pliers, and very gently pulled, but got nothing.

Can someone please explain what is going on? I don't see that brass rod in any diagrams. Is it supposed to be part of the needle jet holder? Should I get more aggressive with the needle nose pliers? And if I pull the rod out, I still don't see any screwdriver slots at the bottom of the bore to back the needle jet out with.
Thanks.
Old 28th October 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: 650 Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
xHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nice

The mid-range metering needle comes out from the top. the top of the carb where the vacuum piston (slide) is located needs removed. you will find a spring setting on a little plastic piece on top of the needle, however when the slide comes up the needle will too. also under the carb is a low speed adjustment needle, its behind a plug. (some drill the plug out so it can be adjusted)
883 / 1200 conversion, shrink ported high velocity heads, milled .020 off the compression side. stainless steel tulip conversion valves. 10:1 wiseco forged pistons. "W" cams, Crane HI-4E ignition module, forcewinder AC. mustang seat, Progressive springs, RK-shocks, fork brace. metzeler me880 tires, headlight modulator. PIAA intense white H4 bulb

Last edited by xHDrider; 28th October 2009 at 21:07..
Old 28th October 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

See if this helps
Old 28th October 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

and another
Old 28th October 2009

DogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really niceDogBunny is just really nice

Okay, I'm an idiot, thanks to both of you for the help.
One last little question.
In kdarejr's diagram, part #7, the "jet needle" -- right where the little #7 pointer thing is pointing to it near the top -- there is a c-clip with three tiny washers or shims stacked on top. Does that sound like stock? Or do you think someone has added washers? There are 6 possible little grooves that the c-clip could be fitted into. It seems like the c-clip could have just been moved up a grrove, and a couple of the shim washers could have been eliminated.
Thanks
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th October 2009

xHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBunny View Post
Okay, I'm an idiot, thanks to both of you for the help.
One last little question.
In kdarejr's diagram, part #7, the "jet needle" -- right where the little #7 pointer thing is pointing to it near the top -- there is a c-clip with three tiny washers or shims stacked on top. Does that sound like stock? Or do you think someone has added washers? There are 6 possible little grooves that the c-clip could be fitted into. It seems like the c-clip could have just been moved up a grrove, and a couple of the shim washers could have been eliminated.
Thanks
mine didn't have the clip option. some shim up the style I have, I didn't choose to.
Old 28th October 2009

Thanks.
Final (hopefully) question:
Under the accelerator pump nozzle -- # 42 in kdarejr's pic -- there is an o-ring, part #45. The Clymer manual says to remove, clean, and blow out the nozzle. How do you remove the accelerator pump nozzle to do that and to replace the o-ring? I have tried unscrewing it, and just pulling it straight out. I'm about to damage it.
Old 28th October 2009
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

I am not aware of any stock CV carbs coming with and adjustable needle so your needle is likely aftermarket. If they did that then they likley drilled the slide hole a little larger and put in a lighter spring on the diaphram. You may want to look at the needle carefully for wear in the midrange as many aftermarket needles wear quickly. What was the reason for the carb R&R?

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
Screamin' Eagle 10:1 pistons
Stage 2 883 heads
Screamin' Eagle .497" cams
Screamin' Eagle Mikuni HSR42
Thunderheader
Forcewinder
Old 28th October 2009

The reasons for the r&r were a cracked plastic fuel inlet elbow -- that requires removing the carb from the bike -- and gas leaking from the float bowl overflow tube. I found no dirt under the float needle valve, but the rubber looked worn. Maybe it's the float level. That's all -- I figured as long as I had the carb off, I'd re-build it -- the bike has done lots of sitting for the last three years.

Any one know how to remove the accelerator pump nozzle?
Old 28th October 2009

if your talking about the pump spray nozzle, I have never removed mine. some people turn them, I checked my spray direction and did not turn it, if you did turn it make sure its directed right down the middle of the carb toward the bottom of the butterfly.

The pump rod will slide back into the pump body and boot easily or the re-assemble. don't take more then you have to apart. keep every thing clean. use compressed air to check passages.
Know Thy Hog