The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
DK Customs
Superbrace.com
Motor Stage
Foxcreek Leather

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th October 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi 850-T
tocino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tighten head bearings on a '77

Hello all,
I looked in my factory manual and couldn't find where it described snugging up the head bearings. I'm getting a clunk feel that tells me they're loose. Going by the following pic:

Do I just loosen pinch bolt #2 and the lower fork pinch bolts and then snug up #22 ("sleeve end, fork stem")? Do I remove #22 and then tighten #21 ("sleeve, fork stem")? Something else?

I'd didn't want to go messing things up so I thought I'd check with the gurus here before I mangled some threads

Also, in this parts manual page it looks like #22 is below the upper triple-tree, but on mine it is on top. Is this right? Maybe the PO used an extra one as a replacement for 41/42 and I can't see the real one until I remove it?

thanks for the help
-Steve

Last edited by tocino; 29th October 2009 at 18:34.. Reason: Title mispelled
Old 29th October 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to all

If it is clunking I would disassemble it and check for damage, good chance the bearings or races are wrecked. I'll bet that if you tighten #21 the steering will feel notchy and bind up at certain spots.
Old 29th October 2009
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

I have had this clunk on my IronHead, and a Yamaha Virago some years ago. I just did as you have outlined and it was fine after that in both cases. Just have to have any pinch bolts loosened then snug it up; then retighten the pinch bolts, eh.

The bars, when straight ahead with the bike not doing anything, should tip from center to either side with a nudge.
Old 29th October 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

Very small amounts of tightening make a big difference. It's really easy to overtighten if you're not careful.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 29th October 2009
Biker

So it's tighten #21 to snug the bearings? What is nut #22 for?
Know Thy Hog

Old 29th October 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Sprint ss
Other Motorcycle Year: 1967
runingmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura aboutruningmouse has a spectacular aura about

That's the part catalog. I hope you have a FSM. HD # 99484-78

In the FSM it's on 2-26 removing fork stem ect. You'll most likely want to check the bearings.

then 2-30 tell's how to Install.
Old 29th October 2009
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by runingmouse View Post
That's the part catalog. I hope you have a FSM. HD # 99484-78

In the FSM it's on 2-26 removing fork stem ect. You'll most likely want to check the bearings.

Thanks - I'll look again. (I have both parts cat and a manual (maybe just the 77?), I put up the image from the parts catalog for the ease of explanation)
Old 29th October 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

just be real careful and dont tighten them at all beyond just getting the play out. too tight headset bearings will cause a highspeed wobble, or tankslapper, and trust me, you dont want to experience that on the freeway with a bunch of cages on your ass.
Old 30th October 2009
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by runingmouse View Post

Thanks - exactly where you said it was. Guess I got impatient / lazy and didn't read through the chapter.