The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Burly  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
NHRS Performance
Licks Holiday
RYCA Motors
Get Lowered

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd June 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
nesene is on a distinguished roadnesene is on a distinguished roadnesene is on a distinguished road
Default Took A 2002 Custom For A Ride Today

not having a great deal of experience riding many bikes i base my comparisons on what i have ridden. i took a friends 2002 1200 custom for a ride today and have to say it was considerably slower than mine. it had a stage one done...s&s a/c, jets, basani pipes. one thing different was the huge chopper kit done. i don't think that would slow the bike down to any great extent. i loved the way the bike looks. it is a chopper kit and the front end is way out. it has the peanut tank and a bob tail rear fender. really good looking bike. i'll have to take some pics and post them. i have to say though mine was a hell of alot faster despite the additional miles. and after riding against a softail the other nite and blowing the doors off him, i still have to say...the sportster is fast.........i know there is a weight difference but they also have bigger engines and fuel injection. the more i ride my bike the more i lke it.

My Dogs Breath Smells Like Dog Food
Old 3rd June 2007
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
davidcar has a spectacular aura aboutdavidcar has a spectacular aura aboutdavidcar has a spectacular aura aboutdavidcar has a spectacular aura aboutdavidcar has a spectacular aura aboutdavidcar has a spectacular aura aboutdavidcar has a spectacular aura aboutdavidcar has a spectacular aura aboutdavidcar has a spectacular aura about

If you want power and agility in a HD stick with a Sporty. I have owned a Fatboy and ridden softails as well but for my style of riding the Sporty is the best in the HD range. (Vrod well they are border line jap bike in my opinion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesene View Post
not having a great deal of experience riding many bikes i base my comparisons on what i have ridden. i took a friends 2002 1200 custom for a ride today and have to say it was considerably slower than mine. it had a stage one done...s&s a/c, jets, basani pipes. one thing different was the huge chopper kit done. i don't think that would slow the bike down to any great extent. i loved the way the bike looks. it is a chopper kit and the front end is way out. it has the peanut tank and a bob tail rear fender. really good looking bike. i'll have to take some pics and post them. i have to say though mine was a hell of alot faster despite the additional miles. and after riding against a softail the other nite and blowing the doors off him, i still have to say...the sportster is fast.........i know there is a weight difference but they also have bigger engines and fuel injection. the more i ride my bike the more i lke it.
Old 4th June 2007
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

You're probably experiencing the differences between exhausts. Those bassani's are usually straight pipes (with some curve) unless it's the 2-1 version. If you have modified slipon's then you'll not experience the torque dip in the lower RPMS..

Just my 2˘

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 4th June 2007
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Vegas1200C is a glorious beacon of lightVegas1200C is a glorious beacon of lightVegas1200C is a glorious beacon of lightVegas1200C is a glorious beacon of lightVegas1200C is a glorious beacon of lightVegas1200C is a glorious beacon of lightVegas1200C is a glorious beacon of lightVegas1200C is a glorious beacon of lightVegas1200C is a glorious beacon of lightVegas1200C is a glorious beacon of lightVegas1200C is a glorious beacon of light

I would think a 2002 would be faster than an 04 because of the weight difference. I know there were some engine mods but isn't it like 40 lbs difference? I would think it would be at least a wash.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Picture123.jpg
Old 4th June 2007
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C Black
bobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the rough

No the pre 04's are much slower than the 04-later bikes. LOTS of engine changes in the 04 and later bikes. Totally different animal. My buddy has an 02 1200 custom. We ran em one time from a stop light. I was bone stock he had the stage one. I was giving up about 100lbs in weight (me 50, bike 50) and I still smoked him by about 1 bike length. And he even got the jump on me at the light. I wheeled a little going into second. It was a blast.
Know Thy Hog

Old 4th June 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Kodiak has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobII View Post
No the pre 04's are much slower than the 04-later bikes. LOTS of engine changes in the 04 and later bikes. Totally different animal. My buddy has an 02 1200 custom. We ran em one time from a stop light. I was bone stock he had the stage one. I was giving up about 100lbs in weight (me 50, bike 50) and I still smoked him by about 1 bike length. And he even got the jump on me at the light. I wheeled a little going into second. It was a blast.
Science at it's best.
Old 4th June 2007
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C Black
bobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the roughbobII is a jewel in the rough

guess I offended you.

sorry about that thin skin.

next time I'll be sure to drop everything, rent a drag strip, do unbiased individual testing on mulitple bikes and multiple runs and then post my scientific results. Or maybe I'll just post my experiences while you go have some more coffee.

Maybe its me that needs more coffee...too early for this crap...

Last edited by bobII; 4th June 2007 at 14:15.. Reason: last line added
Old 4th June 2007
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL standard 883/1200 conv
Bill2 has disabled reputation

Its mainly the '04 and up 1200 heads, the best flowing hd has ever made. And thats where all the hp comes from.
'05 Standard 883/1200 touring conversion with: '07 XB heads with 8.8:1 c/r, dragtron II a/c, Caliber 2into1 five step header, rejetted to: 46pilotjet @ two turns,needle clip on 4th groove,185 main jet,twin tech high performance ignition, 30 tooth trans pulley, jagg oil cooler, forward controls, pullback type handle bars,memphis fats windshield, Corbin classic solo seat with back rest, 10" pillion pad, black progressive 412 shocks 12.5" H-D springs, progressive fork springs, vista cruise control, and relocated ignition & coil to a stainless steel home brewed mount between the cylinders. (Temp. runs around 165-180 degrees in town and 180- 210 degrees on the freeway running 70-90mph and it uses no oil in between 3000 mile changes.) GPS calibrated speedometer.
Old 4th June 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
nesene is on a distinguished roadnesene is on a distinguished roadnesene is on a distinguished road

ok, now i understand.
Old 4th June 2007
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Science....

Here is the information from Motorcyclist magazine.

Available here..http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/pe...cedata/#harley

According to them

Sportster 1200 Roadster ('04)

HP TQ 1/4 mile
67.4 @ 6000 72.2 @ 3750 13.02 @ 100.03 mph

Sportster XL1200S Sport ('98)
HP TQ 1/4 mile
57.0 @ 5250 66.3 @ 3250 13.65 @ 96.1 mph

So there is a difference.... (I wish they were the same models)
Know Thy Hog