The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
Energy One Clutches
Motor Stage
Motor Stage
Energy One Clutches

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th November 2009
Biker

Demon2Alpha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 5000mi. Service

Im about due for my 5k service. Last time it was about $300 for my 1k service. Should I take it back to the dealer or find an indy shop? I like the dealer b/c I can drop it off and pick it up 2 hours later, but for the price, I don't know.... I know the indy shop by my house will take about a week just to do the oil and filter change. Being that my XL is my primary mode of transportation, I like to get it done quickly. Wish they had loaner bikes like at car dealerships....
Old 6th November 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Recon Dad has a spectacular aura aboutRecon Dad has a spectacular aura aboutRecon Dad has a spectacular aura aboutRecon Dad has a spectacular aura aboutRecon Dad has a spectacular aura aboutRecon Dad has a spectacular aura aboutRecon Dad has a spectacular aura aboutRecon Dad has a spectacular aura aboutRecon Dad has a spectacular aura about

If you have the money and not the time get the dealer to do it.

I bought the service manual and a good jack and did it myself on weekends.

The first weekend I changed the fluids. The next two weekends I did the checks and adjustments. Spent about one hour/weekend and three hours total.
Old 6th November 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
colonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon2Alpha View Post
Im about due for my 5k service. Last time it was about $300 for my 1k service. Should I take it back to the dealer or find an indy shop? I like the dealer b/c I can drop it off and pick it up 2 hours later, but for the price, I don't know.... I know the indy shop by my house will take about a week just to do the oil and filter change. Being that my XL is my primary mode of transportation, I like to get it done quickly. Wish they had loaner bikes like at car dealerships....
its new under warrenty get the dealer to do this one then start doing your own oil & filter first and move into larger stuff as you feel comfortable.i had the first 2 services done on mine and now im doing them .
Old 6th November 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1st EVO - 883 - DEAD
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Maybe some day a 1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki Bandit S 1200
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
Texas_Wild will become famous soon enoughTexas_Wild will become famous soon enoughTexas_Wild will become famous soon enoughTexas_Wild will become famous soon enoughTexas_Wild will become famous soon enoughTexas_Wild will become famous soon enoughTexas_Wild will become famous soon enough

Do it yourself you will save the money and connect with your ride! I know it kind of wierd it just a machine but you said it your daily driver so she is part of you! It makes you enjoy the ride even more when you know when she is ill and when she is loving you! Begging you to ride her! I dont know all that intales the 5k service but oil, filter and checks are easy! Grab a manual read it at lunch or when you can asap and then do it!

We (XL Forum) are here to help and after your done its a sence of accomplishment thats wonderful!!!

My 86 has passed and it was a sad day! I will ride again but not soon enought!
Old 6th November 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
luisuie is on a distinguished roadluisuie is on a distinguished roadluisuie is on a distinguished road

You get it back in two hours? When the dealer does mine its guaranteed back within 48 hours, and I thought that was fast. They detail it also at no charge and it looks awesome again so I'm happy.

Old 6th November 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883n
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
vwjodyme is an unknown quantity at this point

I had no idea the services were so expensive and started looking for alternatives on here when my 1000mi came due. I ended up getting the HD service manual for $48 + $6 s&h on ebay. It really walks you though everything you need to do for each service. The 1000 mile service is really only replacing two things (oil is one) and inspecting a bunch more, and it costs $275 at my local dealer! The service manual will save you a ton just in one service
Old 6th November 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1150R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
bigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to all

Just wait until the 20k service, the dealer wanted $690 for mine.

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
Marquis de la Grange (1639 - 1692)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 7th November 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: kz750
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
joesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant future

+1 manual bike jack and doing it yourself..no special tools needed really..some larger sockets and star bits..mine went to the hd shop once for a blown nuetral light only reason i took it was the harness was 200 bucks and my warranty would cover it (thank you again xl forums)...other than that ive done all my own service...did the 1k...just did the 5k last weekend....most of the stuff i do all the time such as belt tension,primary tension..bolt checking..checking the tires,breaks,suspension,wires....

i love the feeling of doing my own maintance makes riding the bike more enjoyable really knowing eveything is done right and youll save lots of cash....sure the hd shop is fast...but are they really checking everything in the 2 hours??? or is the tech skipping over things..nobody knows.....if your do your own wrenching then if your bike does break down youll stand a better chance of fixing it on the side of the road..

you can buy the manual,bike jack,and all the tools needed to turn your sporty into a pile of parts for under 300 bucks
08 XL883;HAMMER 1250,Heavy breather,Rinehart 2-1, Power Vision,Ebc floating rotor,XR1200 Nissin caliper,1200R Mastery cylinder,RK shocks,1in tank lift,wire tuck,crossroads fork brace,low rise drag bars int.wired,Goodridge Ss line,Chrome valve stem covers, and a few top secret parts..
Old 7th November 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L chopped & dropped
Other Motorcycle Model: 1600 cc Volcan Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 05
Pork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to all

I let the dealer do my first 2 but then I started doing my own

And thats a hell of a lot cheaper than any shop!

Bought and paid for!

Chop, Drop, and Roll

Tankslapper of the Heavy Horses MC
Old 7th November 2009
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I can drop it off and pick it up 2 hours later, but for the price, I don't know.
This service should take more like 5 hours to do.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Know Thy Hog