The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Get Lowered
Energy One Clutches
Superbrace.com
RYCA Motors

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th June 2007
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 93 Cubic Inch XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1968
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Limited
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
fdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nice
Default Starter relay wiring diagram!

Does anyone know how to wire into the new style starter relay. By new style I mean the small box one as opposed to the the big round one. I'm wiring up my bike with a new all in one high torque starter and I'm using the new relay. The bike is a '75 with a new harness so the schematic doesn't quite match up with the new relay and I'm wondering what wires go into the relay. Any help or a pic of a wiring diagram of a newer Sporty that uses the small relay would help a lot.

Thanks
Old 6th June 2007
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

It's basically the same kind of setup. You'll see 5 terminals on the relay, they should be labeled on the bottom some how.

Two are for the coil, one side goes to ground the other goes to the starter button, it doesn't matter which way it's bi-directional.

The other three are the switched terminals. One should be labeled common, that goes to the starter solenoid. One should be labeled N.O. for normally open, that should go to the fused battery connection. The last should be labeled N.C for normally closed, you won't use that one.

When you first test it leave the wire to the starter solenoid disconnected and hook it up to a voltmeter (or a test light) to the common terminal. It should read 0 volts (light off) and when you press the starter button it should jump to 12 volts (light on). Testing this way without the starter connected is a good safe idea in case you get the NO & NC connections backward so that your starter doesn't accidently get stuck running.

Gazza
Old 6th June 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Dead Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
chrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nice

For those of us who are more visually oriented, here is a diagram from a late model manual for wiring the starter system.

The black box starter relay that H-D has used forever has 5 terminals on it, as Gary indicated, but they're usually marked differently than N.O. and N.C. (at least the ones from H-D are). The Harley ones have markings on it like this:

For the coil circuit:
86: 12V power in from the start button (thin wire, 16ga OK)
85: straight to ground (16ga OK)

Once you've made a connection on the coil circuit by depressing the starter button, it energizes the next circuit, the switched circuit.

30: 12V power from a circuit breaker (heavier gauge 14 or 12)
87: 12V power to your starter solenoid (also heavy and as short as possible)

87a (normally the center terminal) is not used on your bike. That normally has power, until you press the start button, then the power is interrupted on that terminal. That is used to protect sensitive components from damage from low voltage, since you're cranking the bike over and all the juice is being used to start the bike. The radio on an Electra Glide is powered off that terminal.

And on some relays, the 85 and 86 terminals ARE directional: there's a diode in there. Take a close look at the body of the relay for something that looks like this - that indicates a diode in the circuit:

Gary's tests for the hookup before you install it on the bike are good. Basically making a connection on the 85 & 86 terminals sends power from the 30 terminal to the 87 terminal. Normally, the two terminals in one circuit are across from each other too. So, 85 and 86 are across from each other and 30 and 87 are across from each other. 87a is in the center.

One other thing: there is always power available at the 30 terminal with the key on. Once power is applied to the 86 terminal, from the starter button, the power goes from the 30 to the 87 and over to the solenoid. The ground wire on the 85 terminal just gives the power from the start button somewhere to go (completes the circuit and energizes the relay).

Hope that helps rather than confuses.

--Chris
Old 6th June 2007
Master Bike Builder

fdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nice

Thank you Chris and Gary, that clears things up somewhat but I have one question. On the '75 there is a red wire that comes from the ignition switch that goes to the old style relay and it also has a pigtail that goes to the regulator. Let me see if I got this right, do I need to add a wire from a circut breaker to the 30 terminal and tie it in together with the red ignition wire? Or can I just run it straight to the 87a terminal and leave the ignition wire on the 30 terminal? I'm guessing that I have to squeeze everything on to the 30 and stay away from the 87a altogether, correct.
Old 6th June 2007

chrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nice

You won't use the 87a at all on your bike. Sounds like the regulator wire and the ignition switch wires just happened to be joined at the old relay (so the regulator knows if it should be charging the battery or shunting the current to ground)? If so, both of those will just be on the 30 terminal. You might want to try joining them at the breaker and then just running one wire from the breaker to the 30 terminal: there's not enough room on that terminal for two big wires. You could also join then a little bit away from the relay then run a short piece of wire with the proper terminal on it to join in the relay connector.

--Chris
Know Thy Hog

Old 6th June 2007
Master Bike Builder

Chris, I ran a wire from the positive terminal of the battery to a 30amp circut breaker and then from that breaker I spliced into the red ignition wire before it goes into the 30 terminal of the starter relay. It now seems to work everything, is this a correct hookup? Is there always supposed to be constent current going to the 30 terminal? It seems that you can just jump start the bike without the key.
Thanks for the quick replies.
Old 6th June 2007

The wire to the 30 terminal should be switched hot, from the ignition key switch. So, main breaker > ignition switch > 30 terminal. It should not be hot with the key off, it should be switched 12V from the key switch.

--Chris
Old 6th June 2007
Master Bike Builder

Chris, which terminal of the ignition switch do I hook into?
Old 6th June 2007
Master Bike Builder

I think I have it squared away now, Chris. A '75 does not have a main circut breaker, what I did was this. I added a 30 amp breaker from the positive side of the battery straight to the ignition switch and then removed the red wire to the relay on ign switch and put the main breaker wire there. I then put the red wire on one of the other ign switch terminals and now the power to the relay is switched on with the ignition switch and it is not hot all the time. Everything seems to be working fine, the engine turns over and there is power to the coils. I can't wait to start her up for the first time. It's a beautiful thing.