The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
truckmen (57), Scooter Trash (52), K2RMX.ROB (50), Milazzo (48), benny04hd (34), Foxman (34), Chase1126 (23)
Motor Stage
Speedway Instruments
Superbrace
Energy One Clutches

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th November 2009
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 2005 1200C
The Outpatient has disabled reputation
Default My exhaust fell off while up on a moutain.

Well it didn't fall off but... The 2 Nuts that hold the front pipe on the cylinder head fell off. So I took one of the Nuts from the back 2 and plopped it on up front to get home. Got home and the other Nut from the back fell off so basically I rode with 1 out of 4 nuts/bolts.... arghh !

Anyway. Went to the hardware store to get some bolts and I got 4 that don't really look like the Flanged bolt that was originally on there. I think they are lock nuts. Got 2 extra and I'll be throwing some good tools in my tool bag just in case. Didn't have good tools out on the mountain so I couldn't tighten the 1 solo back nut while on the mountain.

1. Quess I should go to the dealer and get the right Nuts or bolts ?
( Whatever you call them, Nuts or Bolts ?)

2. Do You Guys use locktite on these ?

3 . Service book says to tighten these to around 100 lbs ?

Seems kinda to tight and I don't think I can get my torgue wrench in there tighten those bolts.
Old 9th November 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1150R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
bigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to all

Whoa dude, 100 lbs? I hope you mean INCH lbs.. 100 lbs would definitely strip those suckers right off. Mine are just standard 1/2" nuts that I tighten snuggly.

The heat temps would be too high for Loctite. A good way to check is if you see at least 3 threads on the end, you're good to go.

Personally, I check them periodically and tighten them if need be.

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
Marquis de la Grange (1639 - 1692)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 9th November 2009
Ride free, RubyRed

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 > SE 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
wandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant futurewandrur has a brilliant future

Nuts. Bolts are shafts, nuts have holes.

Most loctite won't hold up to the head at the cylinder head. I do think there's some high-temp stuff, but I'm not sure it's really worthwhile since I think it really cements the nuts.

100 lbs sounds waaaaay high. Make sure you're looking at the proper spec.

I would suggest double nutting if you've got the space on the exhaust stud.

EDIT: I see bigjnsa beat me to some of those responses.

The project bike:
1999 1200 XLH--Currently on indefinite hold... Custom Led Sled frame--4" up, 2" out; Baker/Vulcan chain conversion; Buell 17" rear wheel...
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=708796
Old 9th November 2009
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Having just had the same thing happen to me I have to replace two nuts as well. I have standard nuts on now so I can ride, but will get flanged nuts when I get to the dealer.

They are a fine thread, make sure you get the right ones or you will bugger up the stud and be replacing it as well. The hardware store will most likely call them a 5/16th inch nut since that is the size of the hole in the center, so the size is a 5/16th fine thread. They will take a 1/2 inch wrench. To be safe, anyone with a parts manual can look them up in the back under fasteners.

Don't think locknuts will cut it. Most of the ones I have seen have some form of plastic that serves to lock the nut in place. Not sure what will happen when subjected to the exhaust heat, but I cannot imaging it won't melt. And if it melts I doubt it will be pretty.

Lastly, I do not recall the torque value, but it is most certainly less than 100 ft lbs. Screw Loose Dan pulled his cylinder studs out tightening his head bolts up to 120 ft lbs. Perhaps 100 in lbs, but look it up in the service manual, and then double check the torque wrench is the same scale as the bool. And then check again before tightening.

Key West FL 2008
Sturgis 2009
Around the Lakes 2010
Texas 2011
New England 2011
Wreaths Across America 2011
Labor Day 2012
My first rally - Void 7
Pensacola 2012
Forum trip to Boyer WV July 2013
Coast to Coast to Coast in 100 hours
Butt Lite 7 - 5700 miles in 6 days

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"
Old 9th November 2009
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 2005 1200C
The Outpatient has disabled reputation

Good info.

These lock " Nuts " ( thanks for clarifying ) have no plastic in them but I think I'll go to the dealer and get the correct flanged ones and yes they are fine thread. They probably won't stand up to heat like the flanged ones. Didn't think about that. Only cost 2$ so...

Yeah 100lbs seemed a bit much. I made them snug. I'm not gonna worry about the lock tite and just periodically check them bolts. It's a Harly dang it, things come loose !!

This was a good lesson in bringing the right tools. When I put the Nuts on I took the tools I used and the extra nuts and stuck them in my Licks Solo Bag just in case. Love that bag.

Thanks guys.
Know Thy Hog

Old 9th November 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: SX 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph America
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Tin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud of

There is a type of lock nut made out of all metal, I suggest anyone changing out pipes search out and buy these nuts before doing the job. I would think a manufacturer would include these nuts with the new exhaust system when you buy it. I would imagine a top line manufacturer like Remus would include the proper hardware, But your typical Harley noise maker supplier probably dont.
Old 9th November 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1000XLCH IH Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
konel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of light

There are lock nuts out there that have a small indention in the side of it which distorts the nut just enough to hold it in place.Sometimes referred to as stop nuts.It almost feels like the wrong thread when you start tightening it but they hold really well.You can probably pick them up at a parts store or bolt company. The type with the plastic is an elastic lock nut which does'nt last long with the heat.
Old 9th November 2009
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
sportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what I did when my bolts starting coming out of my exhaust.......on the Dalton Hwy between Fairbanks Alaska and the Arctic Circle......no Harley shops there....had to get back to Fairbanks. That baby was dragging on the ground.......

Now that's why some people don't like to ride behind Harleys........loosing to many nuts and bolts, lights, exhaust,......never heard of loosing a fender yet though......:roflbla ck
Old 9th November 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1000XLCH IH Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
konel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyblue View Post
Here's what I did when my bolts starting coming out of my exhaust.......on the Dalton Hwy between Fairbanks Alaska and the Arctic Circle......no Harley shops there....had to get back to Fairbanks. That baby was dragging on the ground.......

Now that's why some people don't like to ride behind Harleys........loosing to many nuts and bolts, lights, exhaust,......never heard of loosing a fender yet though......:roflbla ck
Been there done that more than once myself.Never hurts to have a roll or piece of tie wire with you wherever you go!
Old 9th November 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna Wide Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
Robotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to behold

For loctite you could try using a small amount of hi-temp RTV. It will hold up to the heat, should dampen the vibration that makes the nuts come loose, but shouldn't make it impossible to get them off later. Just a thought. I've never tried it but maybe I will if I ever take those nuts off.
"why pay someone to screw something up when you can do it yourself for free?"
Know Thy Hog