The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Foxcreek Leather
Licks Cycles
DK Customs
DK Customs

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2009
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future
Question Installing Ultima Ignition ...

The instructions for the Ultima are for big twins only. I "have heard" that for a Sportster you must install the plate like upside down or sideways or whatever. Anybody here know about this? I will be installing mine in the morning [in North America!].
Old 10th November 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: buell mutant
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
spby52 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ultima

I installed an ultima in my nose cone..buell motor ...didn't have any problems...straight in...just make sure you have room to turn and do static timing...if this is the setup you are doing.....by the way it didn't hold up in the Florida heat to well.......lasted 1 year.........
Old 10th November 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
crapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nicecrapgame is just really nice

just put mine in last month 2 hrs to remove all the old ignition and install
Old 10th November 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to all

Yes 90 degrees clockwise from BT install

Hold down screws are vertical not horizontal as on BT
Old 10th November 2009
Rider Of The Iron Steed

IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapgame View Post
just put mine in last month ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder rick View Post
Yes 90 degrees clockwise ...
Thx for the pic, and the confirmation.
Know Thy Hog

Old 10th November 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Shovelhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
tat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura about

mick did you get the set up from jireh for $159 ?
ultima is just a dyna brand with an ultima sticker on it.
only thing i had to do on mine was drill the hole bigger for the wires to go through.
i marked the nose cone where my V cut in my plate was at before removal
installed the new ignition in the same spot and my timing was right on.

SOLD for 76 shovelhead and $5000
Old 10th November 2009
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Bought the complete kit from my local indie for a lot more than that [but with 10% off]. Worth the extra to support this excellent man and his shop.
Old 10th November 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1965
scottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
Bought the complete kit from my local indie for a lot more than that [but with 10% off]. Worth the extra to support this excellent man and his shop.
damn skippy mick......

support your locals everybody.....
Old 10th November 2009
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default I'm the first to call for supporting your local indie shop...

....I've been patronizing my local guy (Heaven Cycle in Miami) since '78, a year after they opened and before I ever owned a Harley.

But it's a two-way street.
Why didn't that local shop clue you in on installing the ignition, Mick?
Old 10th November 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
mrrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ultima install

Hi Mick, installed a ultima nosecone ignition this past summer in my 1980. Hard part was removing old module under battery. Ran the leads off the ultima forward on the downtube for easy access to the coil. Only needed the pink and white wires. I stayed dual fire, no electric tach, and on mine no voes. Set your dip switches before install. With your considerable skills, should take you the better part of an hour. I presume you will add a voes to your 1978 so you will need one additional wire[purple] Dont forget your new rotor. Rick
Know Thy Hog